Looking for a new 45 range toy

PistolShooter

NES Member
I have a lot of components for making 45 ammo so I am looking for something new/fun for the range.

I have a 1911 TRP that I’ve had for almost 15 years, not looking for another 1911. Bought and sold a number of them. Also have a P220 carry and have debated a legion since I have a stupid number of mags, if I went that route would probably hunt down a SAO one. Also have a 625 so not much else in the revolver department that looks exciting.

I learned to shoot handguns with a Glock 21 and carried a 30 a long time ago. Never loved the Glock so doubtful I’d go that way.

I am leaning towards a CZ-97 but know nothing about CZs. The only other thing would maybe be to find a P227 assuming it’s still easy to get mags and parts. If I can’t get my hands on 10 mags easily then I am not going to bother. This won’t be a carry gun so I don’t really care about the size. I’ve never had an HK so maybe worth checking out?

[popcorn]Looking forward to all of the interesting advice! Happy New Year to all.

HK Mark 23 (shoulda kept that one).

I did like my P227, but more for its utilitarian traits rather than enjoyment (not a huge regret selling).

ETA. You said no 1911s, but I really enjoy shooting with my Desert Eagle 1911U. It's probably my favorite handgun.

Last edited:
Ruger American 45 cheap lots of mags and parts doesn't look like every other ruger gun.

Fnx good one

Sig 320

Cz 97s look cool but I'd go with one of the 10mm offerings in eaa or cz

Also look at eaa match offerings they are czs basically

I have a lot of components for making 45 ammo so I am looking for something new/fun for the range.

I have a 1911 TRP that I’ve had for almost 15 years, not looking for another 1911. Bought and sold a number of them. Also have a P220 carry and have debated a legion since I have a stupid number of mags, if I went that route would probably hunt down a SAO one. Also have a 625 so not much else in the revolver department that looks exciting.

I learned to shoot handguns with a Glock 21 and carried a 30 a long time ago. Never loved the Glock so doubtful I’d go that way.

I am leaning towards a CZ-97 but know nothing about CZs. The only other thing would maybe be to find a P227 assuming it’s still easy to get mags and parts. If I can’t get my hands on 10 mags easily then I am not going to bother. This won’t be a carry gun so I don’t really care about the size. I’ve never had an HK so maybe worth checking out?

[popcorn]Looking forward to all of the interesting advice! Happy New Year to all.
I've been looking at the cz97 for years. Thats my vote. One day I'll justify buying one

I love my FNX 45....Try and handle the 227 before you go for it, the grip was way to thick for me, and I have fairly large hands....FN is a bit slimmer.

Bought a Springfield XD mod.2 from a member here recently. Reasonably priced, bright front FO sight, and fun to shoot.

P227 = no. Dead end albatross.

P220 Legion = yes. Maybe CZ97BD if your hands fit it. The 97 is a cool gun but sort of an ergo oddity.

Since this whole thing is a setting cash on fire because you can kind of idea.... HK USP Expert .45 (if you can find one) or an MK23 would be on the list, too.

my boss is looking to sell his greg derr custom.
if i only had the cash

I am leaning towards a CZ-97 but know nothing about CZs.

Best .45 I've owned to date. The things a beast. Fits my hand really well. It runs neck-and-neck with my Shadow.
If you lived closer, I'd let you shoot mine. Very well made.
Decent s.a. out of the box.
D.a. is a little long.
I ended up doing the Cajun Kit and man, what a difference. This thing'll race.

My only gripe is- No ambi safety. Southpaw curse. On the plus side, my left index finger is ripped!

The cool guys buy Magnum Research.

Ask @andrew1220

H&K usp/expert/mk23

Sig P220 legion

S&W 945, probably the best semi auto smith ever made, performance center actually meant something back then

Springfield XDM long slide

Glock 41

Bought a Springfield XD mod.2 from a member here recently. Reasonably priced, bright front FO sight, and fun to shoot.
I agree about the XD Mod.2. Of the non-1911 .45s I have, if I rank them in order of “shootability” , I’d go:

HK45
Springfield XD Mod.2 4.0 in.
P220 Legion
P227
CZ97B
FNX .45 Tactical

These are all great guns, but I have small hands, so the grip size is really an issue for me. The CZ and the FNX grip are really just a tad too big for me, though I really like them otherwise. As @drgrant said, the P227 is really a dead end. You can’t even find the special tool to remove its version of the E2 grip anymore (had to revert to a credit card when I wanted to swap to G10 grips since the guy I bought the P227 from had lost the tool). The Springfield surprised me since it is by far the least expensive of the bunch. It’s also striker fired and (for no particular reason other than I like them) I tend to be a hammer fired guy. So the fact that I liked it so much was unexpected. I actually just bought it to support Springfield when they first started selling handguns in MA. Wasn’t thinking I’d like it as much as I do.

You shouldn't further financially burden yourself with a new gun purchase. Just make the ammo. Send it to me and I'll be sure to dispose of it for you. I really am a kind person. You're welcome.

Appreciate the offer and your generosity! [rofl]

Move to a NFA friendly state and buy a suppressor.

Someday for sure! Hopefully there are some left when we do decide to move!

HK Mark 23 (shoulda kept that one).

I did like my P227, but more for its utilitarian traits rather than enjoyment (not a huge regret selling).

ETA. You said no 1911s, but I really enjoy shooting with my Desert Eagle 1911U. It's probably my favorite handgun.

Mark23 has always been on the list, I had an opportunity to buy one a few years ago with the nice maritime finish and didn’t. That’s one I regret.

I think there is a Marlin Camp Carbine in 45ACP in the classifieds. Great little gun!
Have you considered a .45 PCC for a different shooting experience?

I have thought about some sort of rifle or PCC. For now thinking I want another handgun, but something worth considering.

FNX tactical? Nice combination of new school and old school.

I remember reading about the issues with the plastic being soft when they first came out, haven’t looked into them too much since.

I've been looking at the cz97 for years. Thats my vote. One day I'll justify buying one

I gotta get my hands on one and check out the ergos. It definitely scratches the something different itch.

HK USC. Maybe an HK45 if you want a pistol, though I thought I saw a USP in the classifieds recently...

P227 = no. Dead end albatross.

P220 Legion = yes. Maybe CZ97BD if your hands fit it. The 97 is a cool gun but sort of an ergo oddity.

Since this whole thing is a setting cash on fire because you can kind of idea.... HK USP Expert .45 (if you can find one) or an MK23 would be on the list, too.

Good point on the P227, I looked into them a bit more and agree, that ship sailed. One of the HKs could be fun for something different, definitely on my list.

my boss is looking to sell his greg derr custom.
if i only had the cash

He does beautiful work/photography. I’m not looking for a 1911 or something that is too pretty to shoot. I want something I can put 20k rounds through and not care too much about how it looks.

Best .45 I've owned to date. The things a beast. Fits my hand really well. It runs neck-and-neck with my Shadow.
If you lived closer, I'd let you shoot mine. Very well made.
Decent s.a. out of the box.
D.a. is a little long.
I ended up doing the Cajun Kit and man, what a difference. This thing'll race.

My only gripe is- No ambi safety. Southpaw curse. On the plus side, my left index finger is ripped!

Thanks for the offer. I have heard about the Cajun kits for the CZs, would definitely be the route I go if I pick one up.

The cool guys buy Magnum Research.

Ask @andrew1220

@andrew1220 thread inspired me to start my thread. I’ll let him buy the real Desert Eagle!

I agree about the XD Mod.2. Of the non-1911 .45s I have, if I rank them in order of “shootability” , I’d go:

HK45
Springfield XD Mod.2 4.0 in.
P220 Legion
P227
CZ97B
FNX .45 Tactical

These are all great guns, but I have small hands, so the grip size is really an issue for me. The CZ and the FNX grip are really just a tad too big for me, though I really like them otherwise. As @drgrant said, the P227 is really a dead end. You can’t even find the special tool to remove its version of the E2 grip anymore (had to revert to a credit card when I wanted to swap to G10 grips since the guy I bought the P227 from had lost the tool). The Springfield surprised me since it is by far the least expensive of the bunch. It’s also striker fired and (for no particular reason other than I like them) I tend to be a hammer fired guy. So the fact that I liked it so much was unexpected. I actually just bought it to support Springfield when they first started selling handguns in MA. Wasn’t thinking I’d like it as much as I do.

Thanks for the info, the P227 is definitely dead to me after what @drgrant and you said about it. I forgot about the XD, never been a huge fan of them though I think I took a range rental out a long time ago and was pleasantly surprised. Not sure it scratches the more exotic itch I have but we’ll see.

Back
Top Bottom