• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a GSP pup

Hey I’ve been looking for a good breeder or someone that has GSP pups for sale. I just had a terrible experience with a breeder where the dog I had been waiting 6 months for was given away to someone else so now I’m back to square one. Looking for a male that’s black or dark brown patched and ticked or roan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a dog from Quail Ridge down in Stafford CT. Steve Hopko is decent to deal with usually and runs a hunting preserve and training as well. He trends toward bigger male dogs.

My current dog came from a small breeder in southern RI. Leslie and Lon Ruddock.
They are a small operation and usually the dogs are spoken for. She has like one litter a year at most. i know Leslie has a facebook page and keeps up on what her dogs are up to.

I bought a dog from Quail Ridge down in Stafford CT. Steve Hopko is decent to deal with usually and runs a hunting preserve and training as well. He trends toward bigger male dogs.

My current dog came from a small breeder in southern RI. Leslie and Lon Ruddock.
They are a small operation and usually the dogs are spoken for. She has like one litter a year at most. i know Leslie has a facebook page and keeps up on what her dogs are up to.
Thank you really appreciate it. Have you only owned GSPs.

I've owned 3 hunting dogs in about 35 years of hunting. You want a dog that can match your speed and style of hunting and activity level.

If you like to relax at home, a Brittany, Springer or Lab is a good dog for you.

If your more active, walk alot, hike, work outside, room to roam, A GSP or English Setter is a great dog. They will outhunt Labs and Brittanies all day long for the most part, on upland game, of what I have seen over 35 years. Of course, Labs are perfect for duck hunting, so they have a place, and they are great pets. Just a little slow in the wide open bird field.

Not that GSP's and Setters won't settle down and relax, but it takes 2-3 years for them to get them pretty settled at night unless your walking alot or there is high activity during the day....they are strung a little high. My dog is 3 and she is now at a good stage where she won't try and bother me and doesn't need some sort of chewy or playtime to settle down at night. But the dog is home all day long inside and we have no problems, but she needs activity after work.

My First dog was a Brittany. Good Dogs, great temperment, great pets, good close hunters, they are good for older guys who poke along or if you want multiple dogs IMHO. They will not cover a field like GSP, English Pointer, or Setter

First GSP i got outhunted my Brittany X 100. They can range a little, but generally, For my age at the time it was great, dogs have lots of desire and love to hunt. Also make great pets, they need attention, a job to do, and need to run. We go for walks almost daily for the most part, and I have an area i let the dog loose to run. It loves to work.

The current GSP hunts even harder than the first one and has desire like crazy. Lives for hunting. Loves to retrieve birds on land or water. Is a little too competitive with other dogs at times when she's fresh out of the box. But that's OK. This one is definately more high strung then the first one.

The Setters I hunt with are both Males and are very good as well, Id rather not have a long haired dog, but other than that they are great.

There are also places mixing GSP's with Setters, or GSP's with Pointers, or Setters with Pointers. All good mixtures...as well. Then there are Visla's, Wiemerainers, WireHair Griffons, etc....all good dogs.

All my dogs have been females as they tend to follow along better. Males will hunt harder at an older age, when they are younger they are wild though. A lot of that depends on time training etc.....

Hope this helps, any other questions let me know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom