Looking for a good small revolver

Wimp. I fired all five rounds out of his 340. And then I handed it back to him. That guy loves recoil, the harder the better. :D

The Snubbie From Hell? Oh, HELL no! I fired two shots out of JayG's... and handed it back to him.

These days I carry a 640 Pro - stainless steel with boot grips. Heavy enough I can shoot .357 without crying like a little girl, and accurate. Only thing I disliked about it was the trigger pull sucked rocks. A spring kit from M*Carbo fixed that right up. Lighter trigger pull and 100% reliable.

586 l comp is a nice heavy revolver but does it shoot flat with 7 rounds of 38/357. Great da on the one example I had for a while.

Nice photo. Is this yours? Did you take the photo? Is this what you carry, or is it just for the photo?
It is mine. I took the photo. I rarely carry it because I can’t get used to the cylinder width. Winter carry once in a while. BuffaloBore SWCHP+P for affect C669F7D0-F691-4746-825A-B46AE8BAE28B.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of good answers here, but what's your budget? I have no problem buying a used gun. As we all know, prices have gone way up. If you're wanting a Taurus, that's a low budget gun. I prefer the older colt stubbies. If you want light, the colt cobra was always a nice gun.

The Snubbie From Hell? Oh, HELL no! I fired two shots out of JayG's... and handed it back to him.

These days I carry a 640 Pro - stainless steel with boot grips. Heavy enough I can shoot .357 without crying like a little girl, and accurate. Only thing I disliked about it was the trigger pull sucked rocks. A spring kit from M*Carbo fixed that right up. Lighter trigger pull and 100% reliable.
The Snubbie From Hell ... @dwarven1 .. I haven't heard that moniker in a very very long time. And I too could only muster two rounds of full house .357 before I set that foul evil fire-belching monster back on the shooting table. I'd rather shoot 200 rounds in a session through my Mosin Nagant M44 carbine than one full cylinder from the snubbie.

Another reason I don’t carry mine is I can’t shoot it accurately. I think I will pick up some range ammo and give it another shot. Maybe put the original grips back on it. Not sure what I’m doing wrong but practice wouldn’t hurt. Every time there’s a snubby thread I get the urge to carry it. Winter is here so there are more ways to carry comfortably. Something to think about when going to a revolver is learning to shoot it. It takes time and money.

I would certainly say these two above fall under "good" revolver. I would not say they fall under "small" revolver.

Again, the top and bottom ones don't look all that "small".
While I’m not sure the OPs intent, the K6s is indeed a “small frame” revolver, and the S&W is a “medium frame”

Like most things in the gun industry there isn’t hard rules around it but Kimber markets and categorizes the K6S as a small frame in the same fashion S&W does the J Frame. It’s a little weird with Kimber as they will then take the same small frame a put a 3” barrel and bigger grips on it…

Last edited:
DBFB36B9-1D10-4DA3-8BC8-1BDEE6D1BAEA.jpegThis is my EDC, s&w 637 with Hogue grips. The grips make it much easier to shoot now that my pinky has something to hold on to, but it’s a little big for pocket carry now

No

This. I don’t recall where I got it though. May have even been Amazon.
This is about those Hi-viz sights. Can those go on something like this? I see what looks like a pin there. Of course, you gain visibility, but lose on "pocketability".
1670085640126.png

Here is the 340PD, which already has similar sights standard:
1670086206407.png

This, I love mine. A little too much weight for pocket carry, but great on the hip. Good trigger, good sights, fun to shoot and 6 rounds instead of 5 in similar size revolvers.
Did not know it was a 6 shooter instead of 5. That is an important difference. Wondered about the weight difference, and the Kimber is almost double the S&W; 23 to 14.4 oz.
Wow!!!!!!!! The 340PD comes in even lighter at 11.8 oz.

While I’m not sure the OPs intent, the K6s is indeed a “small frame” revolver, and the S&W is a “medium frame”

Like most things in the gun industry there isn’t hard rules around it but Kimber markets and categorizes the K6S as a small frame in the same fashion S&W does the J Frame. It’s a little weird with Kimber as they will then take the same small frame a put a 3” barrel and bigger grips on it…
The Kimber is larger in EVERY DIMENSION, not just weight.

1670086005807.png

Wimp. I fired all five rounds out of his 340. And then I handed it back to him. That guy loves recoil, the harder the better. :D

Yippie for you. So do Eddie Coyle, Big Daddy 45 ACP and Minininjer. So what?

Picked up a new Undercover for $250 pre covid. It's been reliable and appears reasonably well made. Have hesitated to mention it here because everyone thinks they're crap 🤣.

Charter Arms wheelguns aren't as good as Smith & Wessons. They're not crap, though, or I wouldn't sell them. THAT description I reserve for /T/a/u/r/u/s/ SCCY, Jennings, Bryco, Davis, etc.

The Kimber is larger in EVERY DIMENSION, not just weight.

View attachment 693673
We have been over this Coyote man, I have owned or currently own all of these... There is zero need for graphs depicting minuscule differences. People that actually buy guns very rarely need to resort to overlays of very similar size pistols. Handle a K6s, pull the trigger, and take a look at the actual sights, and the canted front sight, poor QC garbage, 18 pound trigger that is the current production aluminum J-frame will be very very evident. The K6s is NOT a pocket revolver, just like any stainless small frame revolver for most people. Not sure why that would be a surprise.

Also, "small frame" revolver is industry term. While loose in definition, the K6s, J-frame, and the Taurus 605 / 905 (and others) and Charter Arms Undercover series are all marketed as "small frame" despite small differences. Again, I have no idea what the OP meant, but yes, the K6s is "small" just like the others and "small" has nothing to do with weight given the number of materials used in production.

Impressive that these are 23 ounces, no MIM/all machined stainless parts (except for sights and grips, of course) and 6 shots:

Last edited:
You have not lived until you have fired four boxes of full-house .357mag through a 340pd during a 6-hour Combat Handgun Course after 200 rounds of .38spl.
I was the only one shooting snubbie revolver in a class full of Glocks and Sigs...

This was at a Greg Danas class, who along with his father owned AG Guns in Lowell.

Hand bled badly and had much trouble using it for the rest of the week...

You have not lived until you have fired four boxes of full-house .357mag through a 340pd during a 6-hour Combat Handgun Course after 200 rounds of .38spl.
I was the only one shooting snubbie revolver in a class full of Glocks and Sigs...

This was at a Greg Danas class, who along with his father owned AG Guns in Lowell.

Greg, George and Dad were good people. Miss the way that shop used to be.

As a teen, they taught me about "Garand thumb"...

Bought at least a half dozen guns from them... including the 340pd.
I took a couple courses with Greg and George, (the brothers] before George passed away. I don't think I saw AG at the range. I seem to remember the love for HKs by the crew.

As a teen, they taught me about "Garand thumb"...

Bought at least a half dozen guns from them... including the 340pd.
The 340pd was a gun so silly I did it twice. Never 200 rounds in one day (did that with a regular J-frame plenty of times) Sold the first one because it was just such a pain, bought a second because I apparently had a short memory.

I took a couple courses with Greg and George, (the brothers] before George passed away. I don't think I saw AG at the range. I seem to remember the love for HKs by the crew.
Yeah, Greg LOVED the HK P7 lemon squeezer... shot it that day.

What's past is prologue and when it comes to super small revolvers that are just as capable today as they were 140 years ago, you can't go wrong with a good old top break .32 with the 2 inch barrel. The H&R is better than the S&W, no funky, stupid grip safety and more space in the trigger guard.

pix980430991.jpg

And I thought I did stupid things!! (like attending a shooting class on an unset broken ankle...)

I can't decide whether you're a masochist, trying to show how macho you were, or just not thinking that day! Totally not surprised you had trouble with your hand all week.

One thing is certain - you were far braver and far more stubborn than I was. I gave up on the scandium/titanium/alloy-framed wheelguns. [bow][bow]

Back
Top Bottom