• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a good small revolver

I’ve been keeping a 360j in my pocket for a while now. Front sight is pinned so that got swapped for a hi viz pretty quickly. That with an apex kit for the trigger and I’m happy.

Colt Cobra. Did the job for Jack Ruby. I have one. Jack.
My stable.

Cobra, as well plus a detective special (and a sw model 66)

My hand bruiser is my sw 337 with a TI cylinder.

Bought it (337) in the late 90’s early 2k? carried it for years. Less than 50 rounds through it. F33FD744-4294-4BA6-A4D8-FD9902A897E7.png

Just something I always wanted I will want to change the grips the Taurus ultra light any other good suggestions
There generally a lot of nice revolvers on gun shop shelves.
The hammerless SW air weights are nice . You can find some snubby 38s for cheap money with lots of holster wear.

I’ve been trying to talk my mom into getting a little revolver for her house, prolly just be a .22 or .32, something to at least make someone at the door think twice if she lets fly. She lives alone off a dirt road up in Maine. 87yrs old and said she’s seriously thinking about it lately.

Before you go buy anything for her, take her to a range that rents guns and have her SHOOT whatever you're looking at first, please! Don't assume that "Oh, a little revolver for the little lady" is a good idea; she might not like it at all. Or not be able to handle recoil from a really lightweight gun. OTOH... I had a 65 year old woman in my shop last year and while she came in to look at a Sig P938, she walked out with a 1911 in .45ACP. Her choice.)

That said, if she DOES like a .22, suggestions would be something like a S&W Model 34 or possibly a 317 - again, it's very light, so it does have a little bit of recoil. Or she could go up to a 351 and load .22WMR if she's not recoil sensitive.

A Ruger LCR in .22LR is also a possibbility - light but reliable. If you need to save money, the Charter Arms Pathfinder is a good gun, too.

Try dry firing a Ruger LCR. Surprisingly nice triggers.

I agree with this but they’re not much to look at. They also have all manner of calibers if you’re so inclined. Rimfire and on up the line. fell for the .327 federal magnum trap. .32 is nice and soft, .32 H&R magnum is a step up, and .327 Fed Mag stings a bit. However, 6 shots is more than 5..?
Good luck finding ammo though, and if you do, it’s all $1/rd. or more.

I agree with this but they’re not much to look at. They also have all manner of calibers if you’re so inclined. Rimfire and on up the line. fell for the .327 federal magnum trap. .32 is nice and soft, .32 H&R magnum is a step up, and .327 Fed Mag stings a bit. However, 6 shots is more than 5..?
Good luck finding ammo though, and if you do, it’s all $1/rd. or more.
Agreed, LCR's are not pretty. Functionally they are great. For looks I'd go with a pre-lock S&W.

Just something I always wanted I will want to change the grips the Taurus ultra light any other good suggestions
None of the "light" or "lite" revolvers of any brand work well for me. 👎 They are great to carry around, but nasty as Hell to shoot (especially .357 Magnum rounds). The older steel or stainless steel S&W J-frames and K-frames work best for me. [thumbsup]
Love it but I want a little small round I’d like
If you're thinking .32, just know that .32 S&W Long ammo is seriously scarce and insanely over-priced. Ask me how I know that so well. :(

None of the "light" or "lite" revolvers of any brand work well for me. 👎 They are great to carry around, but nasty as Hell to shoot (especially .357 Magnum rounds). The older steel or stainless steel S&W J-frames and K-frames work best for me. [thumbsup]

If you're thinking .32, just know that .32 S&W Long ammo is seriously scarce and insanely over-priced. Ask me how I know that so well. :(

I can find .32 Long relatively easy but it’s definitely still spendy.

Light weight j frames are pleasant to carry but very unpleasant to shoot. I'd rather shoot my 500 than a .357 j frame. Cams, maybe mom could use a big dog. Nothing like a 200 plus pound Mastiff looking at you to make you decide to go elsewhere

Light weight j frames are pleasant to carry but very unpleasant to shoot. I'd rather shoot my 500 than a .357 j frame. Cams, maybe mom could use a big dog. Nothing like a 200 plus pound Mastiff looking at you to make you decide to go elsewhere
Yep... that's why I sold my 638 and bought a 640. Stainless steel for the win.

I can find .32 Long relatively easy but it’s definitely still spendy.
Yeah, 68¢/round (min.) plus tax and shipping... for friggin' wadcutters. No thanks. Not with my thin wallet. o_O

Last I paid pre-COVID, pre-Brandon was 25¢/round for PPU RNL all in. Oh, for the good old days. :rolleyes:

The problem is that while the popular calibers have reappeared and come down in price, the oddball stuff is still nowhere to be found unless you go to the Interwebs and pay through the nose. :(

Put 50 rounds of Remmy .38spl through my S&W 638 last night. Wears boot grips. Tingles at the end of the box... [rofl]

Last edited:
I saw that "KAG firearms" at "the mill" has .32 Long:

k6s.jpg

I would certainly say these two above fall under "good" revolver. I would not say they fall under "small" revolver.

@drgrant is right about being a hand killer. Especially with the classic grips[laugh] I agree with @rep308 that any more than 38 out of a small barrel is wasted, albeit fun.
View attachment 693006
Nice photo. Is this yours? Did you take the photo? Is this what you carry, or is it just for the photo?

My stable.

Cobra, as well plus a detective special (and a sw model 66)

My hand bruiser is my sw 337 with a TI cylinder.

Bought it (337) in the late 90’s early 2k? carried it for years. Less than 50 rounds through it. View attachment 693016

Again, the top and bottom ones don't look all that "small".

A Ruger LCR in .22LR is also a possibbility - light but reliable
Or in .22 WMR.

I saw that "KAG firearms" at "the mill" has .32 Long:

And a decent brand too. [thumbsup] Still pretty pricey. 🤔

My next revolver (but not a small one) when the day comes that Maura and Andrea and the MA Legislature finally recognize Bruen. [thumbsup]

View attachment 693262
They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think those are possibly the ugliest revolvers ever made.
I was going to call it a wheel gun, but with a cylinder that looks like a stop sign, you really can't.
Maybe they are awesome, but it is the Roseanne Barr of revolvers.

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think those are possibly the ugliest revolvers ever made.
I was going to call it a wheel gun, but with a cylinder that looks like a stop sign, you really can't.
Maybe they are awesome, but it is the Roseanne Barr of revolvers.

The word abomination comes to mind.

Oh, I agree 100%. But like certain dog breeds, you get to the point where it is so ugly, that it's actually good looking! 🤪

But the big draw is that Maura (and soon Andrea) say that I can't buy one in Massachusetts... and like all good Americans, I want what big leftist nanny government says I can't have. 😕

It will be my celebration gun when the Bruen ruling finally comes to moonbat Massachusetts. [thumbsup]

Some good reading for you. Here are some discussions either directly about small revolvers, or where small revolvers came up as an alternative choice:

directly talking about small revolvers:

other discussions, where small revolvers came up:

Last edited:
Oh, I agree 100%. But like certain dog breeds, you get to the point where it is so ugly, that it's actually good looking! 🤪

But the big draw is that Maura (and soon Andrea) say that I can't buy one in Massachusetts... and like all good Americans, I want what big leftist nanny government says I can't have. 😕

It will be my celebration gun when the Bruen ruling finally comes to moonbat Massachusetts. [thumbsup]

The new freedom will be wasted on you [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom