Looking for a good small revolver

I found a chart that decodes the (to me, at least) confusing S&W revolver naming convention. I had no idea what K/J/630/chief's special/airweight (well, that one is kinda self-explanatory) meant until I found this article:

Smith & Wesson .38 Special and .357 Mag Revolvers Guide

Here is the chart they made for their compact revolvers, seems most applicable to this thread. The little number in the corner is the capacity:

S&W J-Frame Chart

I prefer the K-frame for balance, but I mostly shoot .38 spcl.
I've owned a K Frame model 65 4",(which I never should have sold)
and a model 66 3" (which I could not shoot nearly as well as my old M65.
The 65 had a much better trigger, out of the box... compared to the redesigned M66.

I recently picked up a lightly used Kimber K6s 3” DASA stainless steel, 6 shot revolver from a fellow NES’s and this firearm is a piece of art. Form, fit, function are impeccable and it’s in the 25 oz. range of revolvers plus it’s compact enough to CC easily. Kimber (IMO) really hit it out of the park with this revolver and this was their first foray into the revolver market. Well done Kimber!

Last edited:
I found a chart that decodes the (to me, at least) confusing S&W revolver naming convention. I had no idea what K/J/630/chief's special/airweight (well, that one is kinda self-explanatory) meant until I found this article:

Smith & Wesson .38 Special and .357 Mag Revolvers Guide

Here is the chart they made for their compact revolvers, seems most applicable to this thread. The little number in the corner is the capacity:

Except that they're wrong; I have a 2.125" 640 Pro which is a .357.

.357 out of a 3” J-frame, even a steel one, will not be fun.
.357 out of a Scandium gun is not fun. (Paging JayG, paging JayG...). Out of my 2" 640, I don't have any problem with it.

.357 out of a Scandium gun is not fun. (Paging JayG, paging JayG...). Out of my 2" 640, I don't have any problem with it.
It’s “fun” for a dozen rounds or so but after that, not so much. I had a 340sc, should have kept it but something else caught my eye. Ended up grabbing a 442 a few years later and had some work done to it by Dave Santurri.

It’s “fun” for a dozen rounds or so but after that, not so much. I had a 340sc, should have kept it but something else caught my eye. Ended up grabbing a 442 a few years later and had some work done to it by Dave Santurri.
Shot TWO rounds out of Jay's Snubbie From Hell and handed it back to him in pain. I see zero use for those things. My 640, now, doesn't HURT the person who's shooting it.

I'm late to the party, and apologies if someone has already said it, but the Heritage Rough rider in 2, 4, 6, 10, and 16" barrels is a value that can not be beat. And in .22LR means shooting is cheap. Most also have a second cylinder for .22 WMR included, which takes it from a plinker to being absolutely capable of slapping targets at 100 yards. You can also add a stock to the 16" variety to be able have a Cowboy Carbine.

Last edited:
Uh...did someone want to look at small, lightweight revolvers? Here are a few of my babies...

View attachment 694673
438, 317-2, 43C, 351C. Altamont grips except on the 351C, Wolff or Apex springs, tritium front sights (shout out to Dave Santurri for the 438 and 317 work). Critical Defense for the .38+P and .22WMR, Federal Punch for the .22LR. I have another 43C around here with some special Altamont American Walnut checkered grips with medallions....I'll have to take a pic of that.
How much for the 22mag?

My pretty much year round ccw
Nice. Sometimes, I wonder about standard hammer, internal hammer, or shrouded hammer. The more I think about it, the more I like the standard hammer. Nice looking, classic, snubnose revolver.

It's good to see people using these still, despite all the nay-sayers. I guess I will have to just try it to decide. Too bad you can't rent or borrow one for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom