• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a Good M14-M1A Gunsmith

BTSDOG

NES Member
Hi,
here's my story....I bought a Springfield Inc. Supermatch M1A back in the 80's, and probably put about 5k through it without any problems whatsoever. Had to shelf the beast for many years while giving utmost attention to my two beautiful daughters. (now all grown up and doing their own thing) Now having more spare time to enjoy shooting, i've been reloading and getting the guns dusted off so as to enjoy them again. I took the m1a and while doing a through cleanup, for the very first time (yeah I know this is hard to believe after all these years), I took the bolt out of the reciever and was surprised when the bolt roller came off of the bolt roller stud. There was no retaining clip to hold the roller on and the stud itself looks like it never actually had been finished correctly during manufacture.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening with an m1a ? Also, while I was shooting it, i never let the action go dry, it was always greased and oiled, although i used to grease the roller by forcing grease into it with my fingers while it was still in the reciever.
What I'd like to do is have a SMITH look it over to see if it is actually a manufacturing defect, or something that could have happened in the course of firing only 5k rounds.
I'll travel anywher in the N.E. area if i have to.....Your input is greatly appreciated................[grin]

Ted Brown at the shooters Den in Oregeon. Ted Rebarelled an M-1a for me and his work was outstanding he is a master armorer for the M-14. He was quic and very honest as to what my rifle needed at the time.

Back
Top Bottom