• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a good hiking holster

Live-a-Little

NES Member
As the title says I am in need of a good hiking holster. One that still conceals the firearm, but doesn’t get in the way of the backpack shoulder straps, chest strap, waist straps, and still allows freedom of movement. Depending on the firearm and situation I usually carry between the 2 o’clock and 5 o’clock position, but with the backpack’s waist support this gets uncomfortable real fast and makes drawing even harder.

Right now I am looking for a way to comfortably conceal a small polymer semi. In most of the states where I carry something larger concealment isn’t an isssue. I am currently considering the sneaky Pete holster and some molle pistol pouches that can attach to the bags straps, but nothing seems ideal yet. So I turn to the NES community. What do you guys think or use?

Last edited:
I don't have a pic for you, but look into a camera case, binocular case that goes on to the shoulder strap. Either use one of them or go with that idea.

Good luck.

When out hiking, I carry my LCR 357 Magnum in a small belt pouch attached to the waist strap of my backpack.

original.jpg

I don't have a pic for you, but look into a camera case, binocular case that goes on to the shoulder strap. Either use one of them or go with that idea.

Good luck.
I was thinking something along these lines. Just haven’t found the right size where the pistol seems secure and doesn’t shift around to much.

That actually seems really practical. I like how the draw is in a downward motion making it easier. Plus it’s a minininjer. My only concern is I am a sweaty bastard and that would sit right against my skin on the really hot summe days(no layers)
i have a fanny pak that is designed for cc. no matter where i sling it, it still looks like a fanny pak
This was on the list until the wife vetoed the fanny pack. Doesn’t look good on Facebook apparently. Not that I am a Facebooker, but she is.
Not a bad idea with an overshirt.

https://www.amazon.com/TRU-SPEC-Mens-Concealed-Holster-Shirt/dp/B00FNR2EAE

I used this last year while hiking to the Devil’s Bathtub in southwestern VA. Hiked and climbed up over rocks and branches and didn’t have to worry about my Walther getting in the way or falling out. 2 spare mags in the other pocket.
For days when I can layer this would definitely be an option. How tight does it hold everything to your body? Does anything flop around? And how’s the draw?

I use a maxpedition pouch that attaches to my waist strap

MAXPEDITION TacTile Pockets :
Yup, maxpedition were the first pouches I looked into. And you know they are quality.
These seem to be getting dry popular and for my multi day trips this would be great, but seems like a little to much for most day hikes. At least until I could ditch the backpack and use this as a stand alone for day hikes. At the moment though my daughter still rides in the backpack.

I’m a big hiker and typically wear cargo shorts or pants while hiking so I’ll often pocket carry.
I recently saw this and thought it was worth exploring (or something similar). But I would personally wear it under a layer, and not open carry.
Kenai Chest Holster – GunfightersINC
I could never get used to cargo pocket carrying. It just always seemed to hit my knees or brush against rocks too much. However, that holster seems legit. Only concern would be since it’s in a vertical position how would you draw from under clothing?
When out hiking, I carry my LCR 357 Magnum in a small belt pouch attached to the waist strap of my backpack.

original.jpg
What pouch is that? It seems to be about perfect size for that lcr. Also is it sturdy enough that you don’t worry about something accidentally snagging the trigger?

What pouch is that? It seems to be about perfect size for that lcr. Also is it sturdy enough that you don’t worry about something accidentally snagging the trigger?

It came with my backpack, and you can get them from zpacks directly, here:

Zpacks Ultralight Backpacking Gear - Backpack Belt Pouch

The material is very strong and lightweight, and it fits just perfectly for the LCR. I'd be hard pressed to have something get in there and accidentally pull the trigger on the LCR.

Safepacker on a waist-strap works just fine for me when carrying a SIG220. Otherwise my LCR357 in a waist-strap pocket. Anything off-body, attached to your pick, you have to remember is not with you when your pack is off and you’re away from it.

Safepacker on a waist-strap works just fine for me when carrying a SIG220. Otherwise my LCR357 in a waist-strap pocket. Anything off-body, attached to your pick, you have to remember is not with you when your pack is off and you’re away from it.
I like this option a lot. It seems secure, yet easily accessible, with a ton of versatility. Slightly larger than I was originally thinking, but might work quite well.

And you are correct if it’s not on you and locked, it’s not legal.

When I've hiked I would prefer either an external holster (where legal) or carrying the pistol in my baggage. I concealed carried once while hiking and after a long, hot day the holster was soaked with sweat and visible salt was deposited on my pistol. Wasn't particularly comfortable either.

... everyone hates the "Fanny Pack" look ....

Find a nice non-gun related patch and have it sown on the front. I've used Harley-Davidson Bar & Shield patches.
Makes it look like a regular old fanny pack and not a gun holster...

And, yes, I do use it from time to time. Usually at Old Orchard Beach when I'm wearing my speedo to blend in with the Canucks...

photo here

I've used the Ribzwear pack for hiking/camping; it's very comfortable and holds a compact 9 plus all the other essentials. I can't tell from their site if they're still making them or not. IIRC I got the smaller size and it holds a lot of stuff. Benefits include being able to still wear a full backpack.

RibzWear

Find a nice non-gun related patch and have it sown on the front. I've used Harley-Davidson Bar & Shield patches.

I wind some dead earbuds around the flap of any visible pouch with a pistol and tape the wires down so they don’t interfere. Looks tame.

And, yes, I do use it from time to time. Usually at Old Orchard Beach when I'm wearing my speedo to blend in with the Canucks...

photo here

It's a fanny pack, just put a rainbow patch on it and nobody will think twice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom