• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a good Gunsmith

Looking for Gunsmith in Woburn MA area that can recommend and correctly install offhand sights on a new REM700.
Very familiar with pistols but a complete newbie in this area and need someone familiar with Redfield, Gehmann, Anschutz and Centra type competition sights.

what kind of sights?
if you need side mounts, the receiver's gotta be drilled. if you go with a top mount, you can just use a standard bolt on 1913 rail.

you should also be able to buy damned near any size barrel band for the front

whats the intended purpose and budget?

I want to use it for offhand competition. I can't use optics for another 6 years so until then, I have to use peep sights.
The 26 inch barrel is .820 at the muzzle and does not have a front sight or a cut dovetail.
The receiver has the standard drill and tapped top but nothing on the side.

My priority is having it done right the first time. After trying the el-cheapo parts in the past, I think I'm better off going taking the quality route.

I could use a point in the right direction in choosing the sights as well.

well, tapping the receiver for a side mount is DEFINITELY a gunsmith job (and I mean a reputable rifle-smith). If it's done incorrectly, the sights will never track right. Honestly, for the money, I'd say get a picatinny rail for the receiver, and use a top-mount sight for the rear. Phoenix, Warner, or similar (you want something that'll track true, every time)

for a front sight, if you can swing it, you can't beat a Stallings Machine 30mm "RightSight". I've got one on my prone rifle, and it's never left me wanting for more. If you want to go low(er) budget, any quality 22mm sight will work too, but I'd definitely suggest something with an adjustable aperture. You can call Wayne too (@ Stallings), and talk to him (he's a good guy). Tell him what you're planning on doing, what kind of rifle its going on, etc etc, and he'll get you set up with the proper sight.

the biggest "what if" for your build is gonna be what kind of stock are you going to use. you want something with an adjustable cheekpiece (to make sure head position is perfect with that rear sight), and preferably an adjustable buttplate, so you can better fit the rifle to a comfortable offhand position.

I'll give Stallings a call tomorrow.

I have an HS Precision stock on it now. (Remington Model 700 VS SF II) I want to first solve the sight problem then move on to the stock as I gain a little knowledge about stocks. It has an HS Precision Stock on it now and it feels pretty comfortable. As I'm a lefty shooter I have trouble finding stocks that work well for me. One step at a time.

THANKS for your help.

while greg is an EXCELLENT pistol-smith (been debating having him build me a hardball gun), i've never known anyone to have rifle work done by him? (not to say it can't be done, just may not be his forte)

for a rebarrel/action work, i'd use Larry Racine up near Keene NH

Back
Top Bottom