looking for a coyote rifle im thinking 223 , your thoughts ?

Looking for a coyote rifle I'm thinking 223 semi automatic. Is this the right cal. If so I would like some suggestions. Preferably 10 round removeable mag, that can legaly be possesed on F.I.D.

You may have some trouble finding an FID-OK .223 semi with a detachable mag, which is suitable for predator hunting*. A bolt gun would be a better option if you are stuck with an FID.

*There IS the Ruger Mini-14, but that's hardly the precision weapon you're looking for.

.223 is a good round for coyote. But good luck getting someone to sell you a .223 with an FID.

Are you intending to keep the pelts? If so the .223 is a bit much. Coyotegods.com has a lot of good info about coyote hunting, look for something in .17 rem or .17 fireball as they recommend over there.

I don't think the op is too concerned with saving the pelts - he is just looking for a moving target to blast at that no one cares about.

Two things to remember when coyote hunting.
Coyotes are the exact opposite of deer.
Deer spends long periods of time standing still and scoping out a territory before traveling into it.
Coyote's spends 80% of their time traveling and 20% of their time standing in one place.
The downfall of many a coyote is having someone call it in close enough to get a shot at it and getting it to stand still long enough to get a shot.
Having a spray and pray mentality for hunting coyote's is only going to waste a lot of time and ammo.
A 12 gauge shotgun makes almost as good of a coyote gun as does a 22/250 or a .17 HRM
The key to coyote hunting or most any predator hunting is skill and determination and accuracy. If you lack any one of the three you are never going to be proficient as a hunter and you will give up almost as fast as you got into the sport.

As others has said a fairly accurate bolt action rifle would be leaps and bounds better then a semi auto or full auto rifle and a 30 round clip.

The one other issue you might run into is finding a place to hunt.
Especially when carrying one of those black guns and a 30 round clip.
The other is keeping permission to hunt there once you have blasted a couple of clips of shells.
Most landowners / homeowners do not like hearing rifle shots at all hours of the day and night and will put a stop to anyone hunting on their land if they become a nuisance.

... he is just looking for a moving target to blast at that no one cares about....Having a spray and pray mentality for hunting coyote's is only going to waste a lot of time and ammo....Especially when carrying one of those black guns and a 30 round clip. The other is keeping permission to hunt there once you have blasted a couple of clips of shells.
Harsh.

As others has said a fairly accurate bolt action rifle would be leaps and bounds better then a semi auto or full auto rifle and a 30 round clip.
What! [shocked] [rolleyes]

Don't you mean EVIL BLACK GUN? [laugh2]
Hate to burst your bubble, but many,many people hunt with them. [wink]

Last edited:
I don't think the op is too concerned with saving the pelts - he is just looking for a moving target to blast at that no one cares about.

Deer spends long periods of time standing still and scoping out a territory before traveling into it.
Coyote's spends 80% of their time traveling and 20% of their time standing in one place.
The downfall of many a coyote is having someone call it in close enough to get a shot at it and getting it to stand still long enough to get a shot.
Having a spray and pray mentality for hunting coyote's is only going to waste a lot of time and ammo.
A 12 gauge shotgun makes almost as good of a coyote gun as does a 22/250 or a .17 HRM
The key to coyote hunting or most any predator hunting is skill and determination and accuracy. If you lack any one of the three you are never going to be proficient as a hunter and you will give up almost as fast as you got into the sport.

The other is keeping permission to hunt there once you have blasted a couple of clips of shells.
Most landowners / homeowners do not like hearing rifle shots at all hours of the day and night and will put a stop to anyone hunting on their land if they become a nuisance.

Sorry, but that's a piss poor attitude towards coyotes. Yea, they are predators and can cause issues for people, but they should still be respected as game like deer or anything else. Use enough gun to kill 'em quick and humanely, but going out to red mist 'em is cruel and pointless, in my opinion.

Smells like FUDD Spirit.

can you buy a AR15 with a FID?dont think so,,although i could be wrong,
i use my preban AR15 for coyote,compact,lightweight, and just fun to carry,love it

Last edited:
i use my preban AR15 for coyote,compact,lightweight, and just fun to carry,love it
There are quite a few nice non-AR .223s available, including bolt guns.

meth0d said:
Sorry, but that's a piss poor attitude towards coyotes. Yea, they are predators and can cause issues for people, but they should still be respected as game like deer or anything else. Use enough gun to kill 'em quick and humanely, but going out to red mist 'em is cruel and pointless, in my opinion.
Yeah, I'm not sure where that attitude comes from. That said, I can understand treating coyote like woodchuck, and setting out to reduce their population efficiently.

koydog should come to NH, where we consider coyote an invasive species, with a year-round open season.

You can't buy an AR with an FID. There are other .223 semis available which are FID OK, but there aren't many, and most aren't very good hunting arms.

That being said, there's really no reason the OP can't get a bolt gun.

Look for a rifle chambered in .204 Ruger. Great caliber for Coyotes. Similar to the .22/250 but with less powder.

As far as videos and such, Don't waste your time and money with videos, they will teach you nothing and are usually shot behind locked gates. Especially the Foxpro crap that is put out.

If you are gonna hunt Coyotes in the East, the best way to learn is by doing.

Back
Top Bottom