• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a club.

It's such a shame because I like Andover, they have a nice steel set up for pistols. I've only shot there as a guest. I left Danvers a couple years ago because of the RO policy and was thinking about joining Andover, but this whole business about the targets is giving me second thoughts. Side note, I heard Andover was building a 300 yd range, does anyone know if that's actually going to happen?
See post #49 for the legal basis for this rule.

I just left the MRA club in Woburn ( oldest gun club in america) they made it too difficult to pay the dues. Too much effort for me, and I had not gone to the club in 3 years or so. So I decided to not renew after I got a Rude email when I asked about the membership. They simply wouldn't take a check from me.. also the Woburn club is too big, too many members and as much as I really enjoyed the place. I felt uncomfortable a few different times with very sketchy people from various countries around the world hanging out in the clubhouse... one time it was about 15-20 of them.. no english.. and wearing similar outfits and none of them smiled or waived etc... I decided to leave since there was some sort of religious/cultural type thing happening. Not a place I wanted to be.
That’s odd. I go there about 2 to 3 times a month and have never seen a religious/cultural gathering like the one you mentioned at MRA. The only time I ever had an issue was when a guy trying out his new sig p365 at the indoor range was complaining because 3 of us there were shooting AR’s and they were “too loud” and he left in a huff.

If anyone gave me crap about your original oval target, I’d tell them to pound sand and get out of my face.

My gun club (in NH) is nice enough to always have a stack of targets in the inside range - simply make a donation and take one. It's a great club for many reasons, but too far for you if you live in Peabody.

It’s NH, not MA. Completely legal. No permits required to possess or transport.
No permits, no registration, no license.... ?? Seems too good to be true. Even tho I'm not a resident?

I did apply for and receive some kind of handgun license thing for NH.. even tho I'm in Mass. Someone told me I should do it.. I don't know why, but yeah, I have that too. But I been afraid to leave the state to visit my friends.

Funny story, Mass made me wait like 7 months to get my license in the mail.
NH on the other hand. I applied in the mail on Monday, and the next Monday the license was in the mail.. no joke!

What's the laws about bringing a mass registered Rifle into NH ?
Seeing has your question has been answered
I can only add how much I hate seeing these posts. It really shows how beaten down Mass gun owners have become.☹️

Last edited:
looks like a silhouette to me

NyZwaWQ9QXBp

Simple solution for the Andover board:
  • Give up their Club LTC. I think about the only thing it does is allow the club to loan a Class A gun to a Class B LTC holder (Class A and B no longer existing). If there are other benefits and LTC bring to the club you know of, please post them.

• Rescind the rule.
This smells a lot like "We started doing that and never re-evaluated the decision in light of new facts". The first question the board should have asked is "Do we need a club LTC and if so, why?"

I denounce the club for carving out a LE exception in its policy.
The irony is that MPTC converted from B-27 targets (human design) to the bowling pin/milk bottle targets to be PC after GCA-1998.
Wow, I didn't even notice the first time I saw it that not only are you not allowed to use them but the possession of them is also banned? Holy crap
Possession is legal and only stupid clubs that got a MA Club LTC have to prohibit them. Some clubs ban them due to stupidity, but you can't fix stupid.

Andover is a nice club, I've shot there a few times and still am thinking about joining. This nonsense with the silhouette targets is something I can live with although the principle of it drives me nuts. Most of the shooting I've done there is on steel anyways which is nice. At least they haven't gone full crazy like Danvers with the mandatory range officer BS.

I was always curious what benefit is it to the club for having an LTC? AFAIK, Andover is the only one in the state that has one and all the others seem to be doing just fine without one
EOPS/FRB played up fake benefits, but there are none for the club. The benefit for EOPS/FRB is (IIRC) that police can search the entire club property WITHOUT a search warrant at any time, for any reason. I'd love that to happen to Andover to teach them a lesson and perhaps awaken any officer with a few active brain cells that perhaps possessing the club LTC isn't a good idea.

If the club has the LTC that’s fine. But if you are going to ban targets because of it then explain that to the body/membership and put it in the posted notice.

Don’t make threats of suspension.

Total fudd jerk club.

A lot of these eboard and R&P committee types get a little taste of power and become tyrants.

They no longer consider the best interest of the membership/club.

So what’s the punishment of shooting a human type target? Loss of your LTC?
It looks like loss of your club membership.

There is no penalty in MGL for the club violating this law. And the restriction is strictly on the club to prohibit their use, not on the shooter.

Back
Top Bottom