Looking for a 9mm with a small/thin grip.

My 22 YO daughter has been joining me at the range and I'm thrilled. She has been expressing an interest in idpa. She took her safety course 10 years ago but I have signed her up for another and told her if she took the course and got her license all she had to do was shoot in one idpa match and I would buy her a handgun.
The problem is that she is just a peanut and has very small hands. She needs a small gripped 9mm and I could sure use some ideas. The M&P full size, the Glock 34 are too big and the 92fs is giant. Any ideas on what might work? Thanks

A 9mm 1911 with thin grips on it might be just the thing for her. I believe that's legal in IDPA, just not SSP division (CDP maybe?) I'm a USPSA guy so I don't know the divisions exactly.

Take a look at the Smith and Wesson Pro Series 9mm 1911.

Sig P239/9mm. Kahr K9. Old school... Sig P220 9mm, or Smith 3913.

I second the 9mm 1911 idea, just be aware that some of those guns are fickle as hell.

-Mike

It may seem counterintuitive but actually trigger reach is more important than grip width. I have relatively small hands and during the wundernine heyday of the 80's and 90's found many of the pistols of the era simply too wide to comfortably hold (or attain good purchase to use a more correct terminology). There are some possibilities: If you can find them: S&W 3rd Gen Single Stack Full Size 9mms: 3909, 909 (full size guns), 3913, 3914, (compact guns)

Once Sig created the short trigger option I had no problems with the P229/226. I'm talking about the original short trigger. They have also upgraded the grip recently. The original P225 is also a single stack and ideal if you can find one. Dig is now producing the P225A1 when and if it is available in Mass is TBD AFIK.

The Browning Hi Power fits small hands surprisingly well and remains my favorite single action 9mm. Again trigger reach not grip width. Massad Ayoob used to refer to the Hi Power as his "orthopedic pistol" when training because so many people with purchase problems seem to have no issues handling the Hi Power. There is a reason it remained one of the most common and popular military and police pistols in service for decades: great ergonomics and has remained popular in countries where people tend to be smaller statured with smaller hands (hammer bite noted with larger handed people).

Second Generaton S&W 9mms: 439, 539, 639 excellent point ability and purchase. Single stack. S&W Chief Designer Joe Norman got the ergonomics right on the grip angle and this pistol fits small hands very well. Good luck finding one. My preference over 3rd Gen single stacks. I'd even say an original M39-2 if you can find one in good shape but they are not drop proof. Replace the firing pin spring with a Wulff firing pin spring. All of the new polymer striker fired guns have all sorts of grip panels.

The new HK VP09 appears to have the most flexible options in this regard. Certainly the M&P line deserves a look as well. I have only handled not fired the HK but it felt really good in my hands.

I'm told that the 9mm 1911's of today are not your father's 9mm 1911's and the competition crowd as well as the 1911 aficionados are turning to them because a lot of the problems associated with these guns have been solved. Acceptance of the 9mm as being equal or near equal to the .45 ACP in modern loads has made many 1911 fans relook the 9mm clambering in this iconic pistol. It might be worth checking out. I have no experience with 9mm 1911's but apparently they are doing well in the marketplace. To me, however the Hi Power answered the question and with the plethora of pre ban mags more than fulfills the requirement for a single action 9mm.

Lots of options out there. I'd start with current production guns first, then work back from there.

Last edited:
I have one of my daughters that I bought a Ruger SR9C for and likes it very much. Another daughter prefers her Sig P225 or my P239. If you are in the New Bedford area. PM me and we could meet and she could try a few 9mm's I have. Including a S&W 1911 in 9mm.

I'd recommend she try a Gen 4 Glock 19. They are a bit smaller than a Gen 3 if you leave off the grip attachments.

If you want to go small but increase capacity, try the Glock 43 with MagGuts. This could also double as her CC gun if she chooses to. Just an idea, I know nothing of IDPA/IPSC rules or what they even are.

OP, the first thing that should be done is to review the IDPA rules to determine the type of gun to use.

For example, in the Stock Service Pistol Div., no single action firearms are allowed, which is going to rule out the 1911 platforms. This division is dominated by pistols with barrels at around 5" or so with the majority of them being a Glock 34 (or G17), S&W M&P Pro, Springfield XDM, etc., so something small like a Ruger LC9 or Glock 43 is not even going to be allowed because of the low magazine capacity as noted below.

In the Enhanced Service Pistol Div., all trigger types are allowed, but again, the dominant guns are larger guns with barrels around 5"

In the Custom Defensive Div., the 1911 platform rules, but you can only use a .45 caliber handgun, so she is limited to the other two divisions as noted above if she is going to shoot 9MM.

There are two other divisions for revolvers.

Another limiting factor is that the shooter is only allowed to carry 3 magazines, one in the gun, two on the belt. Magazines with more than 10-round capacity can be used, but only a max of 10 rounds is allowed, which is division capacity. Again, going up against larger guns/barrels, your daughter would be at a disadvantage for example if using a LC9 with 6+1 capacity. Simply put, this type of firearm would not be allowed since it does not have enough capacity.

There is also a "power factor" involved, so any shorter barreled pistol may not meet it.

Magazines
During a course of fire, a competitor may have no more than three magazines on them (one in and two on their belt). It is beneficial to bring more with you to a match, since it will expedite preparation for a stage, or allow for quickly topping off you ammo during stages that have multiple strings of fire. But to compete in IDPA, you do not need more than three mags. You are typically better off buying factory magazines, since they are usually superior to aftermarket models. Spend your money wisely and purchase quality magazines, even if you have to make do with fewer magazines in the short term. High-capacity magazines (10+ rounds) are legal for IDPA but you can only load 10 rounds in them.

Edit: Not having shot idpa for several years, I was not aware that a compact carry division was added this year.

Last edited:
Look at a VP9, you can adjust the grip size and it is pretty narrow for a double stack.

This

VP9 grip can be made incredibly small

Also has she shot M&P shield? Was my wifes first gun fin her small hands great. Now she shoots double stack 45's better than I do...what a biatch.

A Shield with a trigger job may be a good choice. She can use it for carry and competition. It qualifies under a BUG match and also under the new CCP division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 5'2" with small hands and the Beretta 92FS is my favorite gun. It's also available in the compact which may be an option. I can't imagine why a Glock 19 or 17 would be "too much." I have both of those too and haven't found either to be "too much gun."

Ruger LC9S. Really narrow grip. In fact I sold mine because it was too thin for my liking. Got a Sig P938 with Rosewood which were not quite as thin and swapped them out for the Rubber grips which make the pistol absolutely perfect for me. Have fun shopping!

I never shot one but the Walther CCP feels amazing and I have little hands. Only down side is it has a weird "take down" pin.

My 22 YO daughter has been joining me at the range and I'm thrilled. She has been expressing an interest in idpa. She took her safety course 10 years ago but I have signed her up for another and told her if she took the course and got her license all she had to do was shoot in one idpa match and I would buy her a handgun.
The problem is that she is just a peanut and has very small hands. She needs a small gripped 9mm and I could sure use some ideas. The M&P full size, the Glock 34 are too big and the 92fs is giant. Any ideas on what might work? Thanks

The Kahr K9/P9 has a very slim grip, but the recoil spring may be too difficult for her to rack the slide. Sig P239 is an idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, not thin at all.

Thanks for the guidance folks. I've had her shooting the S&W pro series 1911 and it's not a bad choice. I could put thin grip panels on it but reaching the magazine release is still going to be a challenge. I'm also not sure where it would fit into idpa. No good for ssp and can't use it in cdp.
She has shot my Shield and the grip is pretty good but the capacity is at best 8+1 and it's not the most forgiving firearm for idpa. It's just a bit to short. I "think" the LC9 would present the same problems as the Shield.
I think I will look into the VP9. Even if the grip is a little large the magazine release would eliminate one of the problems and if she doesn't like it I guess I could keep it. I'm not familiar with the Beretta 92s but I do know the grip on my 92fs is a big grip and I would prefer to not have DA/SA. Thanks again. Problem not solved but I'll check out kahr and sig.

Back
Top Bottom