looking for a 4 season tent

I own the 3 season version of that tent, and being that I used it almost exclusively on solo winter hikes in the Whites, I'd say the 4 season version should be fine for light-duty use. The only drawback is it really isn't free-standing -- it required guys and stakes for the fly, which can be a pain in the winter, depending on ground cover.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend a used VE 25. It's pack size is a little bulky, but it weights only 10 pounds, and is the 4 season against which all others are judged. We once zipped two of these together during a winter ascent of Owl's Head -- -5 degrees F on the hike in, dropping to -30F at night, and it got up to a shirtsleeve 20F in the tent(s) with 4 people inside. I just about died in my Western Mountaineering -30F bag.

Last edited:
I loved my Mt. Hardware Spire II... they discontinued it :(

Used it outdoors for a few days at a time, never had much of a condensation issue... keep debating the EV2...but I hear good things one week and bad things the next...

It can get "frosty" on the inside, but as long as it's cold enough, it'll just flake off the sides during the night and snow on your face. I don't have much experience in tenting in higher than about 20 degree temps, but up to that I'd usually open up the vestibule, front door flap, and rear vent to keep things from getting too damp.

If that review is a concern, you'll find the Eureka has the same problem. It really isn't a 2 person tent -- it's confined as a solo tent, but workable. You can get your pack inside the vestibule and cook there as well, and you can sort of turn around inside it and kneel. The VE 25 is a true 4 person tent, including gear, but then, that makes it overkill as a solo tent.

If that review is a concern, you'll find the Eureka has the same problem. It really isn't a 2 person tent -- it's confined as a solo tent, but workable. You can get your pack inside the vestibule and cook there as well, and you can sort of turn around inside it and kneel. The VE 25 is a true 4 person tent, including gear, but then, that makes it overkill as a solo tent.

Most tests comfortable fit X - 1 people anyway. I do have two one person tents that I think that formula still is valid for :)

The tent will likely fit the number of people it says, the question is what happens to your gear?

Remember in the winter, you WANT a somewhat snug fit. A lot of extra space is not a good thing when it gets cold.

I can HIGHLY recommend the Mountain Hardware Trango 2 (and the larger Trango 3.1 if you need it)

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/trango-2/#reviews

I have two Trango 2's and the Trango 3.1 (along with 7 other tents). I've used the Trangos in the White Mountains in February, camping at 16,000 feet with 70mph winds on Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and many other cold/windy/rugged places.

They are bombproof. I can't recommend them enough.

You can find them used on Ebay from time to time in the $350 price range for a hardly used one. People tend to buy tents like this for a week long Rainier trip, use it once, put it in their basement and never touch it again.

Ha- just checked on ebay, here's one never used-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180346055923

Ok, so far we have the following choices;
EV 25
Marmot Alpinist 2
Black Diamond Stormtrack 2
Mountian Hardware Trango 2
Eureka Alpenlite 2XT

My requirements are,
backpackable (light weight)
4 season
2 person
simple to set up
subdued color

Ok, so far we have the following choices;
EV 25
Marmot Alpinist 2
Black Diamond Stormtrack 2
Mountian Hardware Trango 2
Eureka Alpenlite 2XT

My requirements are,
backpackable (light weight)
4 season
2 person
simple to set up
subdued color

Well, if you're looking for light, forget the Trango 2. It's 10 lbs. Most 4-season tents aren't going to be super light, most are over 5 lbs. You could go w/ single-wall mountaineering tents, like Bibler, etc. but that's probably not what you're looking for (especially the price)

Here's a green Trango 2 on sale for $350, FWIW-

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/789553

Well, if you're looking for light, forget the Trango 2. It's 10 lbs. Most 4-season tents aren't going to be super light, most are over 5 lbs. You could go w/ single-wall mountaineering tents, like Bibler, etc. but that's probably not what you're looking for (especially the price)

Here's a green Trango 2 on sale for $350, FWIW-

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/789553

What's a single wall tent? I thought all tents are single wall?

What's a single wall tent? I thought all tents are single wall?

Yes- all tents have a single wall, you're right, but in "tent lingo" a double wall tent is a tent that needs a rain fly to repel rain (thus 2 "walls"- the tent and then the fly over it)

A single wall tent is a tent whose single wall performs both tasks of a normal tent with fly (i.e. it repels water without a fly) and the more expensive ones are usually breathable too (think a tent made of gore-tex, not quite, but a similar idea)

ok so which is better for winter, single or double wall? I'll be backpacking with it.

I can give you my opinion on what would be the best for your needs, but I would need more info-

- how many people in this tent? (1 or 2 = 2) :)
- what is the MAX you want to spend?
- do you care if it's used (assuming it's in good shape) or new only?
- what is the MAX weight you're willing to carry?
- do you care about roominess, are you claustrophobic?
- might you be spending 24 hours or more in it? or is it strictly for sleeping overnight? (getting at- would a bivy type shelter be acceptable?)
- does it need to stand up to heavy winds (> 50mph)?

If you can answer those questions, I can give you my opinion on what I would buy given the same criteria.

I plan to start hiking the Appalachian Trail. I'll be doing in in sections so weight is a concern. I'm not clasutrophobic, Hope to only spend overnights in it and will use it as part of my BOB when I'm done with it. Want a new tent and am willing to spend what ever it takes. I want a 4 season one because I want to use it in the winter here in Maine.

I plan to start hiking the Appalachian Trail. I'll be doing in in sections so weight is a concern. I'm not clasutrophobic, Hope to only spend overnights in it and will use it as part of my BOB when I'm done with it. Want a new tent and am willing to spend what ever it takes. I want a 4 season one because I want to use it in the winter here in Maine.

That's awesome about the AT! I backpacked 750 miles of it in a 2 month stretch a few years back, from Springer Mt. in Georgia up to around Roanoke, VA.

Hmm... you have somewhat conflicting goals that might require 2 tents. On the AT you will very, very, very much care about weight. On the AT, too, the majority of hikers use the AMC shelters and only carry a 3-season tent as a backup if the shelters are full. I don't like communal sleeping, so I pitched a tent every night. But I would get the lightest 3 season tent you can find that sleeps 1 and has a rainfly if you plan on not using the shelters a lot.

As for winter camping in Maine, that's a different tent. I would have a hardcore 4-season tent for Maine and your BOB and a lightweight 3-season tent for the AT.

Trust me, if you start the AT with a 4-season tent, you will be sending it home after 100 miles of backpacking for something lighter.

For the 3-season tent AT tent, I would look for something around 3-5 lbs.

I'll get back with some recommendations.... there MIGHT be a couple tents out there that meet both your goals, but they are expensive. I'll get back to you..

You know what? The initial tent you asked about is not a bad selection at all. The Eureka Alpenlite fits all of your goals EXCEPT the very lightweight part. It's 7 1/2 lbs, which is about 2 lbs heavier than I would want to carry on the AT, but if you're young and very fit, you can probably swing it.

On the AT my pack started at 44 lbs (including the weight of the pack and 5 days food) and ended around 32 lbs (including the same)- I shedded gear like crazy along the way. But my tent was 5.5 lbs (a sierra designs 2 person 3 season tent)- so 2 lbs more for the Alpenlite is not bad. I know some of the younger guys in great shape carried packs over 50 lbs- not for me and my 43 year old knees!!

FWIW- one of my camping buddies has the Eureka Alpenlite and he loves it.

For the price you can't beat it. But for more $$$ and less weight, I could recommend from experience-

the Nemo Losi 2p for around $340
http://www.powderfin.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=457

the Marmot Alpinist for around $500
http://www.altrec.com/marmot/alpinist-tent

the Marmot is a fantastic tent and for what you want, perfect, except for the price.

Sorry if I'm muddying the waters for you- if push came to shove I'd say-

- if price is more of a concern than weight, get the Eureka that you were first looking at
- if weight is more of a concern than price, get the Marmot
- if weight is REALLY a concern- get 2 tents, a 3 lb-er for the AT and a heavier tent for winter

I think it's now between the Eureka Alpenlite and The Nemo Losi. Both seem to be close in price and as far as weight I think I can make a go either way.

If you want my opinion, screw all the online reviews and listen to johnm....He knows what he's talking about....one tent for both of you purposes will probably not be a good choice for either...I've spent a lot of time out west and hiked everywhere from the grand canyon to the North Cascades....you need a good single wall tent for a Maine winter something that will stand up to the weight of the snow or the wind (remember our good old new england snow, Utah brags about the driest snow on earth, they get baby powder we get mashed potatoes) and I would suggest a bivi sack for the AT (as long as you don't mind the confinement) because, like John stated every pound is gonna make a BIG impact on you comfort and performance...and as far as a brand, spend the money on a marmot or mountain hardware or even a North Face....as far as Eureka?? I have a Eureka that my dogs sleep in when I'm 4 wheeling or jeep camping and I even feel guilty putting them in it......

Just to add my two cents....
I run a year round wilderness counseling program for "high-risk" teens. A few years ago, I switched out 4 season tents to the Cabella's Alaskan guide tents. They are a little heavy, but make up in durability and weather protection. Just imagine how hard 16 year old boys are on gear... especially when they have no choice in being in "the woods". Going on three years and the tents are holding strong to some serious abuse.

good luck on your search! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or want to pick my brain.

Back
Top Bottom