• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a 308/7.62x51 semi auto

I'm looking for a ar 10 type 308. I've narrowed it down to a M&P 10, DPMS or Armilate. The cost is about the same for each. I plan on attaching a bipod and using it for semi long range target pratice.

Does anyone know which would be better and why?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We call it medium distance. I like Armalites and if the M&P are as decent as their little brothers in .223, you should be fine with one of those as well. I don't know about DPMS. Some people say it stands for Didn't Pass Mil Spec. They might be just fine as well. I guess it really depends on what you expect from a gun (features, accuracy, ruggedness)

I am likely going to assemble a DPMS/SR25 pattern 308 rifle this year. I am probably going to go with a CMMG parts because they are cheap, but I am not looking for a boat anchor to sit behind on range bench, just something with more ass then a 5.56. I have read a little about the M&P10 because I thought that would be a good cheap way to get into a 308 gas gun, but what I have read says they are not totally DPMS/SR25 pattern, and use some proprietary parts.

Unless you are a tactical ninja sniper I would think a DPMS would be a decent platform to start with, and upgrade components as you see fit.

Have you seen the new Sig Sauer 716DMR? Crazy expensive if you don't know an employee willing to share their 50% off perk, but wow. I don't even like Sigs, and the 716DMR is on my wish list.

I have an M&P10, & a buddy has a DPMS, both will accomodate your needs. Personally, I chose the M&P10 because of Smith & Wesson's customer service/lifetime warranty, and since I'm extrememly new/ignorant to the .308 scene, I found more information regarding aftermarket compatability for the M&P10.

DPMS just came out with the DPMS GII modle line which I was pretty impressed with because they took weight out of the rifle. Check out the SASS modle if you want all the bells and whistles. If you want to kill two birds with one stone Colt has a 7.62 that you can attach a 5.56 upper to so you can have two rifles in one. If you want to build one and have a custom billet lower and put custom graphics on and are not in a rush look at Shadow ops out of CO. They have some great deals on custom AR lowers and uppers with custom graphics. Ask for Lori and she will take care of you! If you have further questions PM me!

I wrestled with this decision for almost 2 years.

I like the Smith and Wesson EXCEPT for the jackass barrel they put on, but the price is great!

The DPMS/Remington/Bushmaster version is pretty decent. I would expect these to have the lowest quality as they are the highest production for a production gun.

Rock River is high quality but tough to get and a little pricey for a "nothing really special" gun.

I have a handful of ARs so I know I am going to strip out and throw away a lot of the "generic" parts, so I thought I'd build one from scratch. But with no TRUE baseline (like the AR15 has a 'mil-spec') you go down a rabbit hole of what "spec" do you want to go with. What magazine do you want to go with, what.. what.. what..

At the end of the day I quit f*ing around and bought a Lewis Machine Tool MWS. I can only speak for myself, but this beast is a) BY FAR the most expensive gun I have ever bought and b) Worth every penny.

I'm going to be looking later in the year also. Want something with more power than 5.56, and also to shoot heavy metal in 3gun.

I'm still trying to figure out the magazine issue. I thought I read somewhere that the S&W uses a proprietary mag, which means 10 rounders only in MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We call it medium distance. I like Armalites and if the M&P are as decent as their little brothers in .223, you should be fine with one of those as well. I don't know about DPMS. Some people say it stands for Didn't Pass Mil Spec. They might be just fine as well. I guess it really depends on what you expect from a gun (features, accuracy, ruggedness)

As noted, AR10's don't have 'mil-spec'... You have DPMS and Armalite patterns, mostly. There are guns out there (like from Sig) that are not true to either pattern but are their own unique version.

IF you're going to build up an AR10, make sure you get all same pattern parts (where it needs to be). That includes both receivers, lower parts kit, and such. An Armalite pattern upper won't fit on a DPMS pattern lower (or vice versa). We also recently discovered that the Sig upper is NOT true DPMS pattern.

Personally, I'm building my own DPMS pattern AR10. I have the lower, just need to start getting the rest of the parts as I'm able.

While I like the pricing on the CMMG barrel, I wouldn't trust them much when it comes to shipping. Unless the item is 100% in stock, you can look forward to several weeks (or more) of wait time. If you have the time, then it's not an issue. If you're waiting for the barrel to finish the rifle, I can imagine it would get on your nerves after a few weeks (or months).

If you go the Armalite route make sure it is the version that takes standard Magpul magazines. My friend has an armalite ar10 that takes only proprietary Armalite magazines. He does love the gun though but complains all the time about the magazines.

M&P-10 is on my list. I got a PTR MSR and its a beast. I'm working on a port buffer so I don't destroy my brass.

I'm still trying to figure out the magazine issue. I thought I read somewhere that the S&W uses a proprietary mag, which means 10 rounders only in MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. DPMS standard. Magpuls are GTG. Another reason I went with M&P 10. The non MA version comes with a 20 rounder.

Last edited:
I built a DPMS standard .308 AR rifle last year. If I was to BUY one I'd probably go with the S&W for the the prices I've seen on them. I'd be curious to see exactly what parts are proprietary to S&W though. That might change my mind.

I built a DPMS standard .308 AR rifle last year. If I was to BUY one I'd probably go with the S&W for the the prices I've seen on them. I'd be curious to see exactly what parts are proprietary to S&W though. That might change my mind.

If I recall correct, it is the barrel and/or the barrel nut.

The BCG, buffer, buffer spring are proprietary, that's all. The receiver extension is proprietary length but regular AR15 mil spec diameter, so any ar15 mil spec stock will fit. If one wanted to flip to an A2/rifle length AR15 stock all you need to do is get a $7 drop in extension from S&W & continue to use their spring/buffer.

I am likely going to assemble a DPMS/SR25 pattern 308 rifle this year. I am probably going to go with a CMMG parts because they are cheap, but I am not looking for a boat anchor to sit behind on range bench, just something with more ass then a 5.56. I have read a little about the M&P10 because I thought that would be a good cheap way to get into a 308 gas gun, but what I have read says they are not totally DPMS/SR25 pattern, and use some proprietary parts.

Unless you are a tactical ninja sniper I would think a DPMS would be a decent platform to start with, and upgrade components as you see fit.

Before you do look at what I built :)

I just scanned the web to prove you wrong. Holy crap $20 a piece. I bought a bunch for $5.99 just a few years ago.

Free state residents can get brand new PMag 20 round (7.62x51) mags for <$20... [smile] I have five so far... Waiting for the 25 round mags to get better availability.

Go with a DPMS pattern gun. A lot more option for after market parts. You don't want to get locked into any proprietary parts

good advice....I built two 308 ARs from DPMS LR-308 stripped lowers. used DPMS upper receiver, BCG and LPK. the rest of components were not dpms, including ranier arms ultra match barrels, JP or surefire comps, DD quad rails, magpul or vltor stocks, bcm charging handle, geiselle triggers, etc. Both are rock solid great shooters that I'd match up against any LMT, Larue, HK or LWRC 308 AR any day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I chose armalite. I like the m14 based mags and my 4 gen 1 preban 20 rders have been flawless. Have 2 gen 2 10's that run well as well. If reloading is important it should be noted by using the steel mags you can load to a longer c.o.l. than with pmags. Each platform will have its quirks. Decide on the configuration that will best suit you then shop accordingly.

I'm enjoying the process of building a .308 AR off the 80% lower we got in the group buy. It'll have dpms sass barrel, their upper, lpk, bcg, spring and buffer. Magpul moe stock, pof trigger, troy handguard, and muzzle brake tbd.

First defense had a camo S&W .308 on consignment when I was there last week for a good price.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom