• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for 9mm recipe

Just starting to reload 9mm. I've got a few thousand Winchester 115gr FMJ (hollow base) bullets I picked up on the cheap, and a few pounds of Titegroup from other calibers.

Anyone have any suggested loads?

Most of these will be going out of a Beretta 92FS.

Thanks in advance!

Power Pistol is a good place to start.... 6.0 to 6.5 grains. 6.3 seems to be
the sweet spot.

The other day I tried out the load printed on the Titegroup can, which is 4.8 grains. (according to Hodgdon, this is the max... ) This one generated chronoed velocities in the 1150-1175 range out of my Sig P228. I also ran some through the X-Five, and it liked em... due to the longer barrel, some of them were just creeping over 1200 fps.

None of the above are wuss loads, of course... If there are others at the range, you will get a bit of "What the f**k is that? That's not a 9mm." [laugh] You can probably crank down either to make fluff loads. I know a lot of guys are making Titegroup loads in the 4.0-4.5 grain range for 115 gr bullets.

I've also used Win 231 before, going up to 4.5 grains. 231 in 9mm though really isn't cut out for high velocities, but if you want to make fluff loads with it, it works great for that.

-Mike

Last edited:
I've used 4.1 or 4.2 of Titegroup with 115gr. plated round nose, but those were for a sub-gun where we wanted lighter loads. I never ran those through the chrono.

My usual load is 4.1 of TG with a 124gr JHP and an oal of 1.165. My P226 runs real nice with that.

I like Titegroup for 9mm. I would suggest starting at the starting load in your manual and working the load up to find what shoots best in your gun. I like to load 115 and 124 grain RN at 1.135 and HP or FP at 1.12. I take the barrel out of my gun and check to make sure that OAL will chamber. The 1.12 work great in my Glock but I have to seat them down to 1.035 to get them to chamber in my CZ.
Rusty

I've been using about 5.2 grains of bullseye behind a berry's plated bullet. they have some juice behind them though. i would start around 4.6 grains and go up from there.

I'm the guy always pushing Unique... so here's my take:

4 grains Unique behind 124 gr bullet (check the manual, don't trust me)

I load Unique for everything, even my .308 has a Unique load that allows me to shoot cast bullets through it. There's a reason I have three 8 lb kegs of the stuff.

I'm the guy always pushing Unique... so here's my take:

4 grains Unique behind 124 gr bullet (check the manual, don't trust me)

I load Unique for everything, even my .308 has a Unique load that allows me to shoot cast bullets through it. There's a reason I have three 8 lb kegs of the stuff.

I, too, like Unique.

3.9gr/Unique under a 147gr Frontier CMJ.

I also like VV N320.

3.7gr/N320 under a 147gr Frontier CMJ.

Just starting to reload 9mm. I've got a few thousand Winchester 115gr FMJ (hollow base) bullets I picked up on the cheap, and a few pounds of Titegroup from other calibers.

Anyone have any suggested loads?

Most of these will be going out of a Beretta 92FS.

Thanks in advance!

I have used:

115gr FMJ

4.2 Gr Titegroup (4.2 of titegroup is listed as Sierra's "accuracy load" with a 115 FMJ)

OAL ~ 1.11

They work great in a Glock 19.

EDIT: I believe that the velocity is around 1150 if I remember correctly (4 inch barrel on the Glock 19)

Last edited:
Power Pistol is a good place to start.... 6.0 to 6.5 grains. 6.3 seems to be
the sweet spot.

The other day I tried out the load printed on the Titegroup can, which is 4.8 grains. (according to Hodgdon, this is the max... ) This one generated chronoed velocities in the 1150-1175 range out of my Sig P228. I also ran some through the X-Five, and it liked em... due to the longer barrel, some of them were just creeping over 1200 fps.

None of the above are wuss loads, of course... If there are others at the range, you will get a bit of "What the f**k is that? That's not a 9mm." [laugh] You can probably crank down either to make fluff loads. I know a lot of guys are making Titegroup loads in the 4.0-4.5 grain range for 115 gr bullets.

I've also used Win 231 before, going up to 4.5 grains. 231 in 9mm though really isn't cut out for high velocities, but if you want to make fluff loads with it, it works great for that.

-Mike

231 makes for great target loads. Unique is for speed.

231 makes for great target loads. Unique is for speed.

Unique doesn't meter for crap though in a lot of powder measures. I can throw 10 charges with unique and several of them will end up being off. It won't be by much, but it's enough to make the velocity get wonky during chrono time. It's also dirty as hell... Power Pistol is the same price, it meters well, and it burns a hell of a lot cleaner. It's just slightly less versatile, but I can still load 9, .40, and .45 with it just fine.

-Mike

Unique doesn't meter for crap though in a lot of powder measures. I can throw 10 charges with unique and several of them will end up being off. It won't be by much, but it's enough to make the velocity get wonky during chrono time. It's also dirty as hell... Power Pistol is the same price, it meters well, and it burns a hell of a lot cleaner. It's just slightly less versatile, but I can still load 9, .40, and .45 with it just fine.

-Mike

I use an RCBS Uniflow and I dump the dropped charge from every 20th round into the scale. I've never had my Unique charges vary by more than half the thickness of the zero line.

I use an RCBS Uniflow and I dump the dropped charge from every 20th round into the scale. I've never had my Unique charges vary by more than half the thickness of the zero line.

I have the same measure... Mine probably varies by a line or so. Never seems to happen with the other powder I use, though... although the IMR 700X I have seems to have the
same consistency as unique does in that regard, but I haven't made many loads with that yet.

-Mike

6.0 gr. Unique pushing a 115 Win FMJ has been my standard just-a-nudge-under-factory 9 mm range load for years. (Decades?) From time to time I'll experiment with something else (by no means have I done this scientifically or sampled all of the powders out there), and I just keep coming back to Unique.

I did notice a jug or two ago something like "New and Improved!" on the label. This made me nervous, so I checked with Alliant and was assured that load data, burning rate, and load density were unchanged. They did say I should find "new" Unique a tad cleaner than "old" Unique, which I did.

Back
Top Bottom