Looking for 9mm PCC input

BUILD IT!!!

I went into the FN FAL not knowing jack f***ing shit. Now, I honestly believe the FAL is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is so much fun building your own gun. Do it!

Where' is this 70's 80's retro shoot going to take place I have 2 Marlins a Camp 9 and the matching .45 I can be really retro

there’s a feeler thread going around started the other day. I’m not tech savvy so I can’t post a link but it’s there in the past two or three pages of recent posts.

Where' is this 70's 80's retro shoot going to take place I have 2 Marlins a Camp 9 and the matching .45 I can be really retro

there’s a feeler thread going around started the other day. I’m not tech savvy so I can’t post a link but it’s there in the past two or three pages of recent posts.

I posted the feeler thread. Expect an update tonight. Here's the thread:

NES 70s/80s Shoot?

I have both the Beretta CX4 and the Ruger PC. They are both great. The Beretta is a lot shorter and lighter, but the wings protecting the sights are a little large. Both are mostly ambidextrous, but if you want to use Glock mags in the Ruger the mag release can't be swapped. I'm just using the Ruger mags for now.
Pre-ban Beretta 92 mags are not as easy to get for the CX4 as I had hoped. If Ruger ever makes the carbine in .45 I'll get another.

I have both the Beretta CX4 and the Ruger PC. They are both great. The Beretta is a lot shorter and lighter, but the wings protecting the sights are a little large. Both are mostly ambidextrous, but if you want to use Glock mags in the Ruger the mag release can't be swapped. I'm just using the Ruger mags for now.
Pre-ban Beretta 92 mags are not as easy to get for the CX4 as I had hoped. If Ruger ever makes the carbine in .45 I'll get another.

I don’t have a CX4, but I’ve never had a problem finding pre-ban mags for my 92FS. I believe there is (was) a for sale thread here for a few at a reasonable price. I was under the impression they took the same magazines.

Last edited:
I have Marlin Camp 9 which is nice and light and takes S&W 59 magazines all the way up to 30 rounders. And two Ruger PCCs. The Rugers are heavier but have more options and aftermarket parts available for them. Limited to 10 round magazines unless you find some Glocks.

View attachment 331979

I'm really digging that Ruger.

Do standard 9mm Glock based ARs lock the bolt back on an empty mag?

I'd be interested in hearing replies including what brand lower you have.

Thanks.
I forgot in my last post what brand lower. I'm using it with the NES lower that was built by Remsport.

OK, so last question, (probably a lie). If someone has a registered machine gun receiver. Does anything special need to be done to run a 9 mm upper in full auto?

Excuse my ignorance. I believe there is a specific 9mm hammer. Can a regular select fire hammer be modified to 9mm hammer specs?

(Maura - the gun in question is legally ownedwith all appropriate licenses and stamps).

A basic decision point is Glock vs. Uzi mags. True Glock pre-ban 33s are $$$ and hard to find; legit pre-ban Uzi mags (that need a notch cut to work in most/all 9mm PCCs that take them) are cheap and plentiful.

Do standard 9mm Glock based ARs lock the bolt back on an empty mag?

I'd be interested in hearing replies including what brand lower you have.

Thanks.

At the moment, the only one I know (and have) is the New Frontier Armament upper.

I have the NFA upper and lower combo and after a few tweaks it works. Just bend the rod as needed.

Most don’t have that option.

I want that in a PCC.

Am also running 124gr extreme in the Ruger PC9. Seems to like better than 115gr.

Have added an inexpensive Bushnell red dot which co-witnesses fine with the factory sights.

Too bad we can't get these in MA, but a Grand Stribog would be perfect and in that price range. But 1) I believe they only offer pistol configurations, and 2) there are no preban mags.

I think I agree with Andrew1220 of taking the Ruger of those two, but I'd be more inclined to try to building something before even doing that.

I was going to suggest the Stribog but if the OP is in Mass that settles that. I got mine set up with an A3 tactical folding brace with a tailhook and a Holosun 507c. It's almost too much fun. The plastic magazines are the weakest link on what is otherwise, an amazing firearm for the money. I haven't personally had any problems with mine, but lots of people have had their magazines crack open with the spring flinging out 30 rounds all over the place. Grand Power is supposed to be releasing a steel reinforced version of the magazine soon but I am hoping the aftermarket comes out with an all metal magazine alternative or some kind of adapter for the metal colt style magazines. The plastic looks like a Fisher Price part that is out of place on the gun.

I was going to suggest the Stribog but if the OP is in Mass that settles that. I got mine set up with an A3 tactical folding brace with a tailhook and a Holosun 507c. It's almost too much fun. The plastic magazines are the weakest link on what is otherwise, an amazing firearm for the money. I haven't personally had any problems with mine, but lots of people have had their magazines crack open with the spring flinging out 30 rounds all over the place. Grand Power is supposed to be releasing a steel reinforced version of the magazine soon but I am hoping the aftermarket comes out with an all metal magazine alternative or some kind of adapter for the metal colt style magazines. The plastic looks like a Fisher Price part that is out of place on the gun.

Sounds like what CZ went through with the Scorpion with regards to the mags. Didn't they do the same by putting steel lips on theirs? I wish I could get my hands on one here.

Look into foxtrot mikes. Awesome products that work as intended. Yes, their lower will hold back the bolt on an empty mag.

I have a Foxtrot Mike 8.5" side charging upper on my latest build. Solid product, with my only complaint being the side charging handle location makes installing BUIS difficult to impossible depending on brand. But I guess that's just the price you pay for a forward positioned side charger. I had to install my front BUIS backwards to clear the handle. I wonder how many people are going to "correct" me on the orientation...

Funny you mention the LRBHO, as that's the only thing troubling me on this new build, but I assume that's more the lower (Angstadt). Hope to figure it out, as that's one of the main reasons I built an AR9 as my other PCC doesn't have it (that and Glock mag compatibility). I will say this though--I had one other straight blowback 9mm PCC, a Sub2000. This new one feels a lot more perceived recoil for some reason. More than what I remember for the Sub2000, and a ton more than my MP5 clone, which the latter is to be expected. If I can get the LRBHO working, then the next "wish list" thing will probably be some type of enhanced buffer.

Hold open is dictated by the lower. Fm’s lowers will hold back reliably.

if I were going with an sbr, go with their regular charging handle version which can be found at primary arms.

OK, so last question, (probably a lie). If someone has a registered machine gun receiver. Does anything special need to be done to run a 9 mm upper in full auto?

Excuse my ignorance. I believe there is a specific 9mm hammer. Can a regular select fire hammer be modified to 9mm hammer specs?

(Maura - the gun in question is legally ownedwith all appropriate licenses and stamps).

I don't have a registered machine gun receiver (sigh), but I can help a bit with this and your other question.

My Glock-lower is technically Runner Runner Guns, but it's the C-9 Stripped Billet Lower Receiver built by New Frontier Armory, and marketed by them, RRG, and JobBob's (as the Spartan) and probably others. In its standard form, it does not have a LRBHO. You have to get a special upper with LRBHO capability, and to be honest, it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg affair. According to NFA: "Due to the force exerted on the BCG with a blow back system, there is a high likely hood of breaking the bolt catch when activated by the LRBHO feature." I never pursued it, because it didn't seem important.

The "9mm hammer" is a hold over from the days of "ramped" and "non-ramped" bolts. Virtually every 9mm bolt you could even find these days is ramped. I don't know where you'd find a non-ramped bolt. In the days of non-ramped bolts, you had to worry about a specific hammer contoured to withstand the hit from the bolt.

My Glock-lower AR runs like a sewing machine, with both my 9mm upper and my .40S&W upper. I highly recommend them as a PCC option. Feel free to ask anything else, or on your next swing through SoNH, come shoot it.

ETA: I also have a Colt-compatible 9mm SBR, which I was shooting this weekend, and it reminded me how much I like that platform, too. It uses the standard AR BHO, and the look with straight mags is just...better. I'm running a Spike's 9mm buffer in my Glock-lower AR, but have switched to an Armspec captured 9mm recoil system in my Colt-lower. It seems smoother than the Spike's version, but maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part.

PC9-

"Takedown" design makes it modular. Modular means not limited to 9mm. I think theres a .40 version out, I can see .45 being an option down the line.
Would be the same as switching uppers on those scary extra-killy belt fed AR16's with 62 rd magazine ghost clips.

Interchangeable magwell allows for different mag manufacturers. I think on the ruger site, theres additional mag wells for whatevers out there, and maybe even "forward" assemblies. Haven't looked since I bought one.

A lot of the companies that make 10/22's into raceguns are already in the process of, or currently supply, aftermarket stuff for it, if thats the route you want to go.

Should come in well under the 600 mark your looking for.
When they release the 45acp version o already have $ set aside for it. I'm hoping it will accept 1911 mags. Not sure they will go that route though.

I don't have a registered machine gun receiver (sigh), but I can help a bit with this and your other question.

My Glock-lower is technically Runner Runner Guns, but it's the C-9 Stripped Billet Lower Receiver built by New Frontier Armory, and marketed by them, RRG, and JobBob's (as the Spartan) and probably others. In its standard form, it does not have a LRBHO. You have to get a special upper with LRBHO capability, and to be honest, it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg affair. According to NFA: "Due to the force exerted on the BCG with a blow back system, there is a high likely hood of breaking the bolt catch when activated by the LRBHO feature." I never pursued it, because it didn't seem important.

The "9mm hammer" is a hold over from the days of "ramped" and "non-ramped" bolts. Virtually every 9mm bolt you could even find these days is ramped. I don't know where you'd find a non-ramped bolt. In the days of non-ramped bolts, you had to worry about a specific hammer contoured to withstand the hit from the bolt.

My Glock-lower AR runs like a sewing machine, with both my 9mm upper and my .40S&W upper. I highly recommend them as a PCC option. Feel free to ask anything else, or on your next swing through SoNH, come shoot it.

ETA: I also have a Colt-compatible 9mm SBR, which I was shooting this weekend, and it reminded me how much I like that platform, too. It uses the standard AR BHO, and the look with straight mags is just...better. I'm running a Spike's 9mm buffer in my Glock-lower AR, but have switched to an Armspec captured 9mm recoil system in my Colt-lower. It seems smoother than the Spike's version, but maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part.

So does this mean:

1) a standard .223 select fire fire control group can be used? (assuming this is all legal. Either a registered pre86 MG or it is being built by an 07FFL/Class 2 SOT)

2) A standard 2 stage match trigger would work. Or even better, a Geissele Super 3 gun trigger??

So does this mean:

1) a standard .223 select fire fire control group can be used? (assuming this is all legal. Either a registered pre86 MG or it is being built by an 07FFL/Class 2 SOT)

2) A standard 2 stage match trigger would work. Or even better, a Geissele Super 3 gun trigger??

1) I don't really have much experience with the select fire group, but can think of no reason why it wouldn't work. If you wanted to check, you could always drop a Stern Defense MAG-AD9 magazine adapter into your registered lower and try it. According to the manufacturer, you can "Convert your standard mil spec AR 15, M4, M16 lower assembly to use 9mm and .40 S&W Glock Magazines!" You're welcome to borrow mine, along with a 9mm upper, if you want to try it out.
2) I was running a 2-stage trigger with both of my 9mm carbines, but replaced them both with Hiperfire EDT (Enhanced Duty Trigger). I found that, with a lighter trigger, I was much more prone to "bump firing" a few rounds due to the blow-back operation. Again, YMMV.

Hope this helps.

I just ordered a CMMG. They built their own delayed blowback system which reduced recoil.

Back
Top Bottom