• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for 7.62x39 160 gr. Recipe

I got my hands on 100 wheel weight lead, gas checked and alox lubed bullets, sized to .310, made with a Lee CTL312-160-2R mold. I have 100 unfired Winchester large primer cases to go with them. Does anybody have a recipe? I'm at a loss to come up with a 160 gr. lead bullet recipe.

I try to save you a little time went to AA site and got this info for a 150gr jacketed bullet
1680 20.3grs to 22.5 grs
5744 17 grs to19grs
If I were you I'd start with 5744 its was deseigned for lead bullets in mind primarily in the large BP cases but should work well in 7.62x39
By the way are you using this in a semi auto or bolt you might have leading problems in a semi auto ww are a little soft
If you want peace prepare for war

Thanks --

They'd be for my SKS. I was a litle worried about running lead bullets thru it, but they were cheap. I'll probably just set them aside for SHTF stowage and get somehing proper to load up.

highlander said:
I.... info for a 150gr jacketed bullet
[ multiple choice ]
Substituting components is a ______ idea.
a. bad
b. really bad
c. incredibly bad

A 160 gr. bullet may be too long for this caliber. The base of the bullet should not project below the case - neck junction when the bullet is seated deep enough to fit the chamber and magazine or severe leading will probably result.

Use accepted reloading practices and verify all loading data with a reputable source.
There are too few shooters in Ma. We can't affort to loose any to the Darwin Effect.[thinking]

I thought it was OK to use data for a heavier bullet with a lighter one? I know that doesn't apply to this, but I thought that was the case.

I guess I'll just save these for if/when I get something in .308 or something. I got 'em on eBay for a little over $10 shipped, gas checked and lubed, so no big deal.

jhrosier is correct on the 150 gr bullet I should have recommended that load should be reduced by 1 to 2 gr to start but having shot bullets of ww my self did
didnt' see a seriuos problem.I have a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 tthat I shoot 150gr lead bullets out of with few problems but 150gr or heavier is a bit much for the7.62x39 my appologies for the omision
If you want peace,prepare for war

Mod Hat On!

That is why EVERYONE should TRIPLE-CHECK published sources for loading data before trying anything. It's for your own and your gun's safety.

Contact mfrs of powder directly and ask them if THEY have any load data for whatever weight bullets you have/want to use. Observe total length and push-back into cases to make sure that you can use them safely, etc.

As jhrosier said, we don't want anyone getting injured, so stay safe out there but have fun too!

Back
Top Bottom