• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for 24 guys with 1K to buy a range

This is a great idea, and I’m very interested, but not in this particular land (too small, and access issues). If someone were to find a lot at least triple the size, with easy drive up access, where a clubhouse of some sort could be built with restroom facilities, etc. I’d be in for a decent bit more money if the plan was thought out properly.
I'd be interested too.
You'd need around $100k-200k but you'd be able to buy 50-200 acres way up north and could establish a legit training center, not just a gun club.
with 50 people it's only $4K each, NBD
This sounds like a fun idea until someone brings along a friend who accidentally loses a hand doing something dumb and then has his parents sue the “gun club” formed by the group and bankrupt all of them. Or someone stumbles on to the property while it’s being actively used. Or the city / EPA go after the owners for lead contamination. Or you get one neighbor who uses that land as his retreat spot and makes it his life mission to make things difficult for noise makers.
Incorporate, add a few $ per person for a good lawyer. Put in something like "Owners are solely and personally responsible for any damage or injury related to their actions. This responsibility extends to any guest or visitors that the owner permits on the property. No owner may use the property for personal gain without the consent of a super majority of the other owners and this use will be subject to a sharing of the compensation with the corporation.
Since I started this let me throw in a few of my thoughts. First of all, no development. It would remain permanently as an open range only, no clubhouse. Also, once you're in, you're in. No selling your portion. Upon your death, your interest in the land is transferred to the surviving members. Once you get down to the last guy, it's his to do as he chooses. I have more ideas but this will do for now.
Not on board with this, I'd want to be able to leave it to my son. But I do recognize that if ownership shares are continually divide when inherited it could become a problem. So, I would suggest; A ownership share is perpetual and can be passed to on to another subject to the following conditions. A share may only be owned by a single physical person, it can not be divided or on any way can it be controlled by anyone other than that single physical person. No person may own more than One share. Creation of additional shares by any means requires a unanimous decision of the current share owners.

Also, Any type of construction/improvement requires the approval of a super majority of the ownership. All taxes are shared equally among the ownership. Any maintenance fees require the approval of a super majority of the ownership and will be shared equally among the owners.

And one final suggestion. Given the out of the way nature of this, some small facilities would be a good idea. A source of drinkable water, and a restroom (don't need 50 people and their guests sh1tt1ng on the side of the road. And of course a road. Keeping it accessible in the winter is something that should be discussed before anything is done (no personal opinion myself yet), but like any other possibility it should be known before entering into an agreement. Spell it out in advance and you don't have to listen to any BS later.

I made a map for anyone wanting a clearer outline of where the property is. Lot 416-052-0 on Mountain Road Ext. in Deerfield, NH.
View attachment 364961

I'm not in any way in, but I'm intrigued watching the back-and-forth and I wish y'all luck.

If everyone kicked in another thousand so that the group could ALSO buy Lot #81, that solves all your access problems.

Watching this thread with interest. I want something of my own but it is still tempting. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope it works out.

I'm not in any way in, but I'm intrigued watching the back-and-forth and I wish y'all luck.

If everyone kicked in another thousand so that the group could ALSO buy Lot #81, that solves all your access problems.
I was thinking the same thing. That lot is near useless so it should go cheap. But the road would have to run NW around the wetlands and enter lot 52 at about the middle. An alternative would be "improving" the road down from the north. This is an improvement since the road technically exists (line on a map). This would probably be easier than getting permission to run a new road through lot 81, even if you did own it. And running a road through 81 might change it's tax status.

ETA: improving it from the north may also get you some $ help from the other lot owners, it would make their lots more valuable as well.

I was thinking the same thing. That lot is near useless so it should go cheap. But the road would have to run NW around the wetlands and enter lot 52 at about the middle. An alternative would be "improving" the road down from the north. This is an improvement since the road technically exists (line on a map). This would probably be easier than getting permission to run a new road through lot 81, even if you did own it. And running a road through 81 might change it's tax status.

ATVs? Do they need roads (technically)?

I think it's been mentioned that the northerly extension is already passable, though with difficulty ("You'd need a good jeep," IIRC). Maybe I misread that somewhere.

ATVs? Do they need roads (technically)?

I think it's been mentioned that the northerly extension is already passable, though with difficulty ("You'd need a good jeep," IIRC). Maybe I misread that somewhere.
Yup, but like I said, getting older and want it easier.
I also think that might be OK for an individual owner, but for a group you'd want it a bit more accessible. Think day trips to shoot as opposed to roughing it on a week long camping trip, not that you couldn't do that as well with an access road.

I have 12.55 acres in Deerfield NH, in Current Use, taxes $16 a year. Mountain Road Extension. Would take $25K and finance it at 3.5% interest with 20% down. NOT currently buildable. You can go on the town's website and see where it is, and Google Earth it. Map/Parcel 416-52-0 assessed at $33,200

This is not a joke. If 24 other guys want to give this a shot I'm willing to gamble a grand on the brotherhood.
In and I got cash

Yup, but like I said, getting older and want it easier.
I also think that might be OK for an individual owner, but for a group you'd want it a bit more accessible. Think day trips to shoot as opposed to roughing it on a week long camping trip, not that you couldn't do that as well with an access road.

For it to work for me, I’d want to head up the night before and possibly crash there, then shoot the next day and then come home. This would be during the week, so the rest of you could play on the weekends. I would also require liability insurance of some sort.

Since I started this let me throw in a few of my thoughts. First of all, no development. It would remain permanently as an open range only, no clubhouse. Also, once you're in, you're in. No selling your portion. Upon your death, your interest in the land is transferred to the surviving members. Once you get down to the last guy, it's his to do as he chooses. I have more ideas but this will do for now.
I'd be in if we can make this more like an Agatha Christie novel. Here are some suggestions:
1. There is a valuable treasure buried on the land, but terms of the purchase agreements are such that members cannot dig on the land lest they ruin the range.
2. Small groups of members may use the plot for hunting, but only in ways that are especially prone to explainable accidents, such as climbing tree stands and on particularly foggy days where one might easily mistake Bob for Bambie.
3. Every five years, the surviving members must attend a reunion held on the Express train to Istanbul.

Possibly interested if everyone's name would be on the deed. And if we weren't legally/financially liable for stupid/damaging behavior.

I made a map for anyone wanting a clearer outline of where the property is. Lot 416-052-0 on Mountain Road Ext. in Deerfield, NH.
View attachment 364961
Bingo! Thanks. To clarify this: Mountain Rd is a Class V road, and is maintained. Mountain Rd EXT is a closed town road. It is pretty much a jeep trail. The land is not buildable, unless you were to access it from another parcel with frontage on the open portion of Mountain Road. I had some timber cut off of it some 20 years ago, and the logger got permission from the abutting owner (Lot 81) to access it without crossing wetlands. Someone previously posted what they thought was a previous listing for this lot, but that listing was for lot 53. They were asking $65k, and claimed it was buildable...which it obviously was not. I believe they dropped the price to $45k, but I do not believe it sold. Lots 52/53/54 have been surveyed, and a plan is on record, but has a notation stating that these lots are NOT buildable, unless the road is substantially improved....which will most likely never happen. Deerfield considers them "Recreational". The land is sloping from the back to the road, and wooded, and somewhat rugged. In reality, a 100 yd range would difficult to construct. The highest and best use for this land, is as a great place to hunt, camp, do some shooting, cut some firewood and get way. It IS in CU, hence the taxes being less than an 18 pack of beer, and contrary to what someone posted you CAN post land in CU, unless you apply for an additional tax break and agree to leave it unposted. That break would be about $1.50 a year. Hey......it's justa piece of land, in Southern NH, for about $2K an acre.

Deerfield resident here and I am solidly in.
Hey, take a ride over there and give everyone a report. Nothing like an eyewitness report!. I haven't been up there in about 10 years, was planning to hunt it every season, but since I built my stand out back in Salem, I have not left my yard to take a deer or two.

Hey, take a ride over there and give everyone a report. Nothing like an eyewitness report!. I haven't been up there in about 10 years, was planning to hunt it every season, but since I built my stand out back in Salem, I have not left my yard to take a deer or two.

im considering it.

Possibly interested if everyone's name would be on the deed. And if we weren't legally/financially liable for stupid/damaging behavior.
Those conditions are mutually exclusive
Beat me to it.

It's the use of a corporation that offers protection, so the corp would "own" the property and appear on the lease. And if it was a realty trust (I'm not sure this offers protection), the name would only appear on documents held by a lawyer and thus much harder to discover who actually owns the property. All the public information would just say X Realty Trust.

Beat me to it.

It's the use of a corporation that offers protection, so the corp would "own" the property and appear on the lease. And if it was a realty trust (I'm not sure this offers protection), the name would only appear on documents held by a lawyer and thus much harder to discover who actually owns the property. All the public information would just say X Realty Trust.
But the corporation can still be sued. How would that work?

Let the corp go bankrupt and create a new Corp that buys the bankrupt corp?

Or lose the land?

But the corporation can still be sued. How would that work?

Let the corp go bankrupt and create a new Corp that buys the bankrupt corp?

Or lose the land?
If the corps only asset is the land, you won't find many willing to sue. They want the big money and want it in cash. The absolute most they could get out of the suit is the land. At 24K and not easily converted to cash, lawyers aren't going to want to invest much time into a suit. Get an insurance policy that covers up to the value of the land. If you do get sued the insurance company will negotiate for a lesser amount. If they win for more, the corp files bankruptcy and sells the land for pennies on the dollar to another corp, who happens to have the same owners. The person who filed the suit would get those pennies, but that would be the end of it.

What it comes down to is a lack of significant assets can actually be a protection from a suit.

Back
Top Bottom