• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking at getting a S&W M+P 9

I just got back from the store and confirmed it is a 9C without the magazine safety and key safety. The trigger pull is lighter than my BHP, the owner at the store said it is around 4-5lbs. Unlike my BHP, it will fire without the magazine in the weapon.
Then get it. Isn't great to be in a free state.

I have both the C and full-sized versions with Apex kits in them. The trigger pulls are quite reasonable now, particularly the 9c which is light and crisp enough to fire accurately and still heavy enough for CCW.

I just got back from the store and confirmed it is a 9C without the magazine safety and key safety. The trigger pull is lighter than my BHP, the owner at the store said it is around 4-5lbs. Unlike my BHP, it will fire without the magazine in the weapon.

a) Keep the BHP. You'll regret it if you don't.
b) Try as many pistols as you can. What alternatives to the M&P have you looked at?

I got my M&P 9 back from its second trip to the S&W factory. Looks like they fixed it this time. After about 75 rounds, no jams. Halleluia. But I must say... now that I've got a few hundred rounds through my XDm 5.25, I feel like I upgraded. The accessories that come with the XDm are much better, even the case is better. I'm more accurate with the longer sight radius on the XDm, I like the 19+1 capacity, I like the fiber optics sights, and the XDm has a fully adjustable rear sight. It disassembles easier than the M&P, I don't have to move that silly lever inside the ejection port. For target shooting, I prefer the XDm.

But the M&P is a bit more concealable, the grip is wonderful, its accurate enough.. Maybe I'll keep both. I'm leaning towards consigning it and getting a truly compact (single stack) firearm for CC. I'll have to sleep on it.

I am in MA. Prior to getting my 9, i went to MFL to try this and the sig. I liked them both, but the S&W was significantly less, and this was my first pistol.

However, when i got the S&W 9 (not Compact), at 50' I wasn't hitting the target. at all! So I unfolded a paper grocery bag, put that up, and I am low left by like 1-2 FEET! Now I also have a Sig Mosquito 22, which I hit 6" groups at 50' , so I think my sight and technique is OK.

I ask around, and get told the trigger I shot with at MFL and the trigger I have are 2 different triggers. What.... MA trigger gets explained to me, and someone tells me about getting a trigger job.

I call local smith, tell him I have stock M&P, he says, 'let me guess. you are low left?'

Picking up redone gun in a day, and hoping it makes a difference.

BTW, I really do like how the sig is. If I wasn't going to take a $100+ beating by selling my S&W, I would gladly get rid of it for the Sig.

Just an update. Had a trigger job done by Business End Solutions in Tewksbury. Real easy to work with Lou there.

This has made a world of difference to me. As I said, I was shooting 1-2 FEET low. I am still a bit low, but now it's inches! Also, grouping is good.

Prior to the job, I was ready to take a bath and sell this, or just put away and never use. The gun has always worked flawlessly (knocking wood as I type this), but now it is just a pleasure. I had this up at Bob's in amesbury, had one of the guys there shoot it, he said the trigger job was fabulous.

So just wanted to throw my 2c in to those that are considering this in MA; get the trigger job.

I have an M&P9c also. I liked the gun just fine from the factory. I did have to modify the magazine followers to allow insertion of all ten rounds. I also just had the Apex DCAEK and RAM installed, and it made a world of difference. Liked it before. LOVE it now. 11lb trigger is now 6, and my groups have improved dramatically. Used to be that out of a ten round mag, I'd have maybe a few inside a one-foot circle. Now all ten are, with most within a six-inch circle around the bullseye. Amazing difference. Next up will be Crimson Trace lasergrips, or maybe a rear-sight laser setup. The rail on the front is useless if you carry it, as with a light or laser on there you'd need a custom holster to fit it in. I like the Crossbreed SuperTuck. First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge is my dealer of choice, and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Back
Top Bottom