• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking at a S&W 1911 DK model- thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a yearning for a S&W 1911 for a while and think I'm leaning towards the Doug Koenig 1911. Looks like it has some nice extras for a reasonable extra cost. I think someone here Cross-X? posted something about it a while ago and I can't find it. It's either this one or a std S&W 1911- full size.

Thoughts?

I'm looking at diversifying my collection a bit and might be selling a couple guns... but that's for another thread.

I don't have the DK but I have the Sc model which is now called PD.

To me the extras aren't worth the cost...mostly cosmetics as far as I'm concerned.....but that's just me.

1911sc1.jpg

1911sc2.jpg

Here is the S&W webpage for the 1911DK:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y

I have two S&W 1911s and they are good pistols. Not sure if the DK is worth the extra money myself, but it might be good for competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah- this likely wouldn't be a carry gun... but one can never predict this type of a thing.

I love it; I use it for IDPA. Darius, AKA Cross-X, aka Sparky, made the comment that for the money it is a good buy given all the goodies SW put on it.

I have 2 of them and both them shoot better than me. The only difference between the ones that I have and the DK, is a speed trigger and a magazine well.

I would rather have a SS than a carbon steel one.

No matter what model you get, you will be happy with it.

Last edited:
Nice gun, I would go with a base model and customize. You can get one for 599, S&A mag well ($80), I don't care for ambi-safties, new grips, grip tape on the front strap, fit a new trigger (S&W did a lousy job, it rattled), and your done.

I prefer carbon steel because you have a few more finish options like parkerizing and bluing.

The DK is not accurized, so you are paying for some cosmetic features it seems to me. The tapered mag well is pretty mild, so its not up to race gun standards like some of the pistols I've seen posted here with exagerated mag wells. Also, if you want to have it accurized, I think carbon steel is the way to go (I had a thread about this, specificly in relation to bullseye guns in the equipment section). You get "alot" for the $$ is the sales pitch. The question is: is it specificly the stuff you want/need? If not, then it is not worth it.

fit a new trigger (S&W did a lousy job, it rattled), and your done.

What's the deal with that? Ever SW1911 I've handled (4-5) has a trigger that rattles up and down ~1/8". I know these guns are knows as quality, but this does not inspire confidence.

Is there a mechanical reason for this, or is it just sloppy tolerencing?

Is there a mechanical reason for this, or is it just sloppy tolerencing?
Because S&W buys/manufactures their parts in bulk they get to specify the range of dimensions. For certain parts like the trigger they will have them be drop in, sometimes this means that the trigger is very undersized and loose.

To have a human file, file and check, file and check, for the 5 minutes it would take would probably cost too much. A pro-gunsmith assembling a 1911 from a complete frame and parts (doing basically what should already have been done with a factory gun but isn't these days) charges $300 and supposedly takes 3 hours (I am quoting this from memory). 3 man hours just for assembly! Way to much for a 700 dollar gun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom