• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Look what UPS just dropped off

Well after wanting one for a while, I finally got one, Its a yugo m59 caked with cosmoline, the barrel is mint looks like its never been fired. a small bruise on the stock but no biggie. This is my fist sks and certainly wont be the last.
What do you use to remove the cosmoline?

I got the cosmo out of my M59/66 with A mixture of Simple Green + hot water. Soak all the assemblies in it, (NO WOOD). Then for the hard to get areas that you don't soak, use a hair dryer and air compressor (SKS Ray method). Nice find.

Real men lick it off. I found that the hot water and simple Green works best

Nice score! The Yugos are nice rifles.

When you're cleaning her up, make sure you fully disassemble the bolt and scrub the hell out of the firing pin + channel. Make sure you get all the cosmo out of there. Use Pipe cleaners, compressed air, submerge it in mineral spirits, whatever it takes. Reassemble and shake the bolt to make sure the pin moves freely in the channel.

Nice score! The Yugos are nice rifles.

When you're cleaning her up, make sure you fully disassemble the bolt and scrub the hell out of the firing pin + channel. Make sure you get all the cosmo out of there. Use Pipe cleaners, compressed air, submerge it in mineral spirits, whatever it takes. Reassemble and shake the bolt to make sure the pin moves freely in the channel.

+1

That has the granade launcher on it?

Don't quote me but I believe all the Yugos had the grenade launcher + sights. You can't tell because he didn't get the muzzle in the shot. Damn I love my Yugo and seeing one soaked in cosmoline go to a new owner makes me happy. SKS are fascinating rifles.

Don't quote me but I believe all the Yugos had the grenade launcher + sights. You can't tell because he didn't get the muzzle in the shot. Damn I love my Yugo and seeing one soaked in cosmoline go to a new owner makes me happy. SKS are fascinating rifles.

Ok, I have a chance to buy one of these now but didn't know if they were legal in MA. or not. My buddy wanted it but he says that the Yugoslav SKS is illegal in CT. now so he can't buy it.

I could have sworn I read about someone using a heat lamp and catch basin. No idea here, I have yet to put my C&R to use.

Wipe off all you can.
Disassemble.
Wrap everything loosely in paper towels -- lots of paper towels!
Put it in a black garbage bag, and leave it in the sun for a few hours, turning it over every hour or so.

I just use some rags and about half a 5oz bottle of Hoppes.

I've never understood all these crazy methods for getting off cosmo.

I don't think the M59 has a grenade launcher. The M59/66 does.

The grenade launcher sight locks back against the gas block, with the little button switch that turns off the gas and makes it a single-shot action. The rifle in the original pic doesn't appear to have that.

It is a great looking SKS.

I use one part mineral spirits, one part #1 Kerosene, one part Acetone, and one part dextron 3 transmission fluid mixed in a container. .. Its also a great bore cleaner as well. It is called Ed's Red for those of you who remember the Milsurp web site of years past.

Thats a 59/66. M59s didn't have the push button shut off gas block for the grenade launcher. Only the later Yugos (59/66) had a valve with a shut off built into the gas block. Make sure you disassemble and clean thoroughly, especially the gas valve. Lots of stuck cosmo hides in there and can cause function issues. Looks as if your grenade launcher ladder sight is missing. You can pick up one from Numrich for cheap money or often in classifieds like on the SKS boards where someone has stripped down a Yugo to its simplest form.

As for cleaning cosmolene... I've gotten lazy and use WD40 or Break Free CLP, an old tooth brush, a bunch of rags, and compressed air. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom