• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Longer delay on purchase?

Delkancott

NES Member
Has anyone heard of (what I thought was) the for day delay being extended to seven days?

All of my purchases to date have been delayed, but they have been cleared in four days (or I was simply allowed to pick up the firearm after four days). Now I'm told 7. Is that true or was I misunderstanding from the beginning?

the form drops it back on the state....so federally it's three days. Has the state expanded this?

If the FFL has not received a final determination from the NICS after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must check “no resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473.

My understanding was that when your info is returned, with a delay comes a "Brady date" which is the day you can pick up if you haven't received a proceed. So if you buy on a Tuesday, you pick up following Monday. Buy on a Friday, following Thursday. Etc... can anyone confirm this?

It's all up to the dealer after the 3 day mandatory wait. Some will and some won't until they hear back on the NICS check.

^ That right there. If the dealer has a policy on it, then that's what you have to go by. Dicks won't release the firearm until the NICS check comes back, period. Doesn't matter how long it takes. Some dealers who know you may release it after 3 business days without any problems. Some dealers who don't know you may require you to wait a little longer just in case. Some won't release until NICS comes back.

By law they can let you have it three business days after submission if the NICS check is still delayed, but it's up to the dealer.

My understanding was that when your info is returned, with a delay comes a "Brady date" which is the day you can pick up if you haven't received a proceed. So if you buy on a Tuesday, you pick up following Monday. Buy on a Friday, following Thursday. Etc... can anyone confirm this?

That's correct, it does tell you which day it becomes open for pick up, but you're a bit off on the days. The second poster's link above shows the transfer table.

Interesting side note - I use the online NICS system and it seems like they tweaked it recently or something because it's been coming back with a PROCEED noticeably quicker lately. Not the case every time but in the last couple weeks I've had customers who used to get delays get an immediate proceed now. Maybe just the luck of those particular people though.

Last edited:
maura redefined "day" in ma to have 56 hours. Three 56 hour days is the same as the seven 24 hour days you are experiencing.

Has anyone heard of (what I thought was) the for day delay being extended to seven days?

All of my purchases to date have been delayed, but they have been cleared in four days (or I was simply allowed to pick up the firearm after four days). Now I'm told 7. Is that true or was I misunderstanding from the beginning?

Did you perhaps purchase this particular firearm in RI? If you did, RI has a seven-day wait for all firearm purchases.

Back
Top Bottom