• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long wait to clean guns after shooting them

Reptile

NES Member
After putting 1000 rounds down range, I am wondering if I need to clean a gun soon after shooting it- or could I wait a few weeks or months.

Once a gun is dirty, it wont get any worse from waiting, right?

I am thinking a Glock could wait a long time before being cleaned anyway- but what about an AR?

Is there any sort of detrimental chemical reaction that occurs while a dirty gun is sitting in a dry safe for a few months?

So far my experience has been that it doesn't matter. After a full day and 500-1k rounds just as much crud builds up and just as much scrubbing is necessary whether I clean right when I get home or if I clean a week or two down the road.

After putting 1000 rounds down range, I am wondering if I need to clean a gun soon after shooting it- or could I wait a few weeks or months.

Once a gun is dirty, it wont get any worse from waiting, right?

I am thinking a Glock could wait a long time before being cleaned anyway- but what about an AR?

Is there any sort of detrimental chemical reaction that occurs while a dirty gun is sitting in a dry safe for a few months?

If you're using corrosive ammo, it should probably be cleaned right away. Otherwise, it's just build up.

If you're using corrosive ammo, it should probably be cleaned right away. Otherwise, it's just build up.

Interesting comment there.

I just read about what "corrosive ammo" is...

http://www.ak-47.net/ammo/corrosive1.html

"The term “corrosive ammunition” refers to the fact that the priming compound in the cartridge (when the gun is fired and then not cleaned) will cause the bore to rust and pit. Corrosive priming by itself is not necessarily a bad thing because if the ammunition is stored properly (in a cool, dry environment, out of direct sunlight) it will last virtually forever. You just have to thoroughly clean the gun after shooting it. The U.S. Army considers non-corrosive ammo to have a shelf life of thirty years, if stored properly. I’ve successfully fired corrosive ammunition that was loaded in 1913, prior to WWI."

I only use current factory ammo, so I do not have to worry about that.

Thanks for the responses. I am glad that I do not need to clean a gun after an exhaustive day of shooting.

Don't forget that you also burn/wipe all the oil out of the barrel lining as well as other parts of the gun after firing a bunch of rounds which cam promote rust. If you don't want to clean it, and it's going to sit for an extended period of time, then at least put some oil on it.

Don't forget that you also burn/wipe all the oil out of the barrel lining as well as other parts of the gun after firing a bunch of rounds which cam promote rust. If you don't want to clean it, and it's going to sit for an extended period of time, then at least put some oil on it.

This. Also copper left in the lands and grooves can set up an electrolytic (anode/cathode) reaction with the bore steel, leading to pitting if left for long enough.

Back
Top Bottom