Long Term Storage

namedpipes

NES Member
Not exactly survival, but I have a number of rifles I won't get around to shooting in the near future. (and don't want to get rid of)

Seeing the condition of the 91/30 (in the group buy forum) after 60 ~ 70 years in storage says the Russians had a clew how to store rifles.

I gather the gist of this is, break down the rifle, perform repairs, super clean and reassemble, then dunk in cosmo and crate.

Anyone have pointers to the details, including sources for cosmoline, etc.?

For instance, in a normal cleaning, I'd oil or break-free the gun when done. Skip this step or clean as usual, only more so?

I saw huge blocks of cosmoline for sale at last Fall's gun show in Concord, NH. Never seen the stuff at MA gun shows. I don't go looking for it either!

I assumed since this is the survival forum that you were looking for ways to store your weapon long term and being able to quickly employ it should the need arise. Cosmo would make that a labor intensive feat in my opinion. If that's not your aim, then cosmolene would seem to make sense...Cheap and effective.

I assumed since this is the survival forum that you were looking for ways to store your weapon long term and being able to quickly employ it should the need arise. Cosmo would make that a labor intensive feat in my opinion. If that's not your aim, then cosmolene would seem to make sense...Cheap and effective.

My objectives are several.

One of the objectives is simple long term storage of some firearms that won't be used or displayed any time soon and need some sort of preservative treatment to keep them in good condition. Those need not be quickly accessible and if hell broke loose, probably wouldn't be that useful anyway. This is the *main* point of my OP.

A second group of firearms again won't be used or displayed any time soon, but would be of use in a calamity where I was necessarily on my own. Those are stored in a more accessible manner at the cost that they are more exposed to aging.

Finally, 'everyday' target or self defense I simply keep clean and accessible.

I think you're saying, so long as speed is not of the essence in getting the firearm ready for use, cosmo is a good and cheap solution. Now I just need to find it. "Mill Spec" sells a new age version that is expensive. CTD was said to carry it but I don't find it on their web site.

It sounds like cosmo is the best option for the rifles in group 1, but for the rifles in group 2, maybe something that can be cleaned more quickly. Simple grease comes to mind.

If you're willing to redo the preservative every 3-5 years, there's Break Free Collector. It doesn't inhibit function, either, so no need to scrub or bake it out.

By long term, I meant, 10+ years, but that sounds excellent for the middle group. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have rifles that I've kept for 30+ years...with no rust or issues.

I have my grandfather's Remington 1100 that's from the 60s. I haven't shot it in about 10 or so years...it comes out here and there... I've had it in my possession for around 20 years or so... No Rust.

But then, I keep them in a safe with two Goldenrods to keep the moisture out of the safe. No need to oil, no need to perserve..just take out and shoot.

If I were going to bury them in the back yard in PVC then yes, I would find a long term preservative.

I have rifles that I've kept for 30+ years...with no rust or issues.

+1 I have guns that have been in the safe for years 'unprotected'. My dad has had guns in his safe for even longer. Before that, we used to hang them on the wall -- but that was in the pre-PC era.

As long as you control humidity you should have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom