Long term long arm storage in attic?

rep308

NES Member
My safe is out of space for long guns and I was thinking of moving a few little used ones to a locked trunk in my attic. My plan is to clean and oil lightly and store them in plastic bags like these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=812618

These firearm storage bags will safely protect guns from corrosion during long term storage thanks to their vapor phase corrosion inhibitor (VpCI) chemistry, which vaporizes over time and adheres to firearms in the bag, forming a protective coating on all metal parts. No periodic cleaning is required to prevent rust, and when guns are removed from storage, the VpCI evaporates away harmlessly. Approved by the U.S. military for long term storage of firearms.

The attic is zero degrees in the winter and 100 degrees in the summer. Has anyone else done this, will the guns be safe, and is there anything else I should do other than throw a desiccant in the plastic bag as well.

Thank you for your advice

A quick Google seems to indicate that higher temperatures such as those that would occur in an attic cause accelerated vaporization of the VpCI product. Thus requiring more frequent change of the product to insure protection from corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom