Long shelf life foods

you can get efoods at Foodees in Milford, I am toying with the idea of becoming a distributor but I hate those types of programs

It seems a lot of people with survival and/or homw gardening live off the land types of websites are making money linking to the efoods site from their own websites and blogs..

wait so Foodees Pizza in milford Nh carries efood direct prepared meals?

Last edited:
It is much easier and less expensive to store 6 months of store bought foods than it is to buy these pre-packaged "Emergency" or "Survival" foods. Seriously. Start home canning meats, storing bulk pasta, rice, instant potatoes and other dry goods in mylar bags inside buckets. Vaccume bag meats and freezing is another viable option. Store what you eat and eat what you store.

You'll have better quality foods you family will be familiar with. If you have little kids having familiar foods is important.

Yes, Foodees has a basket by the register that has soups and oatmeal etc... I just picked up one of the soups to try and it is very expensive. EFoods is set up like Amway with independent distributors and each gets a commission based on sales blah blah, I find bear creek soups give me more value for storage and use them on scouting trips so I am eating what I am using, I just thought I would share that the Efoods was available locally and John at Foodee's does a lot for the community and I try to send business his way as he is a like minded individual

It is much easier and less expensive to store 6 months of store bought foods than it is to buy these pre-packaged "Emergency" or "Survival" foods. Seriously. Start home canning meats, storing bulk pasta, rice, instant potatoes and other dry goods in mylar bags inside buckets. Vaccume bag meats and freezing is another viable option. Store what you eat and eat what you store.

You'll have better quality foods you family will be familiar with. If you have little kids having familiar foods is important.

Yep. I don't store anything I won't eat, and for the most part, what I like to eat stores well. There's plenty of regular (and cheap!) food items that store extremely well in a home environment that specialty foods are generally not needed (for the home environment).

My wife and kids actually like MRE's, so they'll live. I'll starve.

Snickers and spam.

great info guys.
about the meals, I stored a bunch (about a months worth) to have them for convenience. I wouldn't go so crazy as to buy a years worth of readied meals, as I would not eat those quickly. I'll be buying bulk supplies to store also.
All the other stuff I am working on is the usual long storage canned foods and store bought stuff.
I am also working on the fresh foods next like drying and canning for next season, but I need more room plus I only need to store for two people..

Last edited:
Two words. "Fruit Cake" it's delicious packed with calories and fat, lasts forever, and it's on clearance now at every supermarket in America.

Not sure if it's been mentioned.

Mistakenly served Rice a Roni the other night from 8/08. Tasted fine and no one died.

I recently had an MRE entree that was at least 4 years old. Chicken fajita with a separate pouch of tortillas. The water had separated from the chicken so I poured out the extra water. Chicken was dry but not too bad. The tortillas still tasted good and were flexible but had cracked where they were folded in the pack. I didn't dare to open the cheese(I'm not good with dairy in the first place). This was an MRE that has been in my trunk through a summer and a winter. I'm wondering if the water separated because it was frozen and thawed multiple times.

I later hiked Old Rag Mountain and it didn't make me sick or anything. In the future I think I'll stick with the chili and beef stew types. Has anyone had experience with the non-military surplus MREs? Do any have dates of manufacture?

Would it be possible to make a chart of all the information we have gathered here, with columns for food item, price, weight, expiration date, date bought, date tested, and edibility as rated by the taster?

Last edited:
I just went through the emergency supplies in my car and found an old packet of MRE peanut butter. I remember someone gave me the MRE about four years ago, and it was a year or two old at that point. The peanut butter has been in my car for multiple winters and summers. The plastic label had started to separate from the package:

8522582017_81c23aeb49_z.jpg

8523695746_ca108cff10_z.jpg

I kneaded the packet and squeezed some onto a real cracker:

8523695848_fba4888421_z.jpg

8523696030_47c73d3cf2_z.jpg

Honestly, it tasted just like regular peanut butter. I ate the whole packet and it didn't give me any problems.

TL;DR
Food: MRE Peanut Butter
Taste: Good
Texture: Good
Adverse Reactions: None

Last edited:
Had some 3+ year old Franscesca(sp?) Rinaldi pasta sauce with dinner tonight, taste and texture were fine. Quite a nice dinner actually.

Also been eating 2+ year old home canned corned beef hash and chicken lately and all A+ taste and texture.

No their prices are not bad. Just make sure what you are getting is either the number 10 can or what alot consider a pantry can. We got a bunch of the pantry cans to try before we bought alot.
Their white bread and roll is excellent. The southwest chili is really good. We decided though it needs more meat and beans for our liking, but liked it alot. So when I make it again I will be adding to it.The instant mashed potatoe gems are the best tasting instant mashed potatoes we have tasted. Pancake mix is really good, and we have been using the freeze dried strawberries in milk shakes and like them alot. The corn was good also. They have been running sales on the pantry cans so we figured it was the best way to try alot before buying alot. We are very impressed with them and we had put in another order with them.

If anybody is looking for pasta sauce there is a sale at market basket $.99 for francesco rinaldi sauce. We have used this 4 years after purchase and the flavor/texture is fine.

Has anyone here visited the LDS cannery in Worcester? They sell pre-canned long-life foods, or you can make an appointment and can THEIR products. They also sell mylar bags and 02 absorbers. It's on Brook street in Worcester. Home Storage Center Locations Wheat, Flour, Sugar, Dry Milk, Beans, etc. You could build a pantry for (10-30 year) long shelf like with a Visa and a pickup truck in a day.

- - - Updated - - -

So what exactly is vegetarian meat substitute in beef and chicken flavors? That doesn't sound good at all.....

it's tofu/TVP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

So what exactly is vegetarian meat substitute in beef and chicken flavors? That doesn't sound good at all.....

SeitanThe food known as “seitan” was originally a Japanese food – made from wheat gluten, seitan is in some ways like ground beef, and can be made more texturally similar by frying or by other means. Some vegetarian dishes use this as a substitute for ground beef or other meats like chicken.

Textured Soy ProteinsA range of other vegetarian alternatives include different kinds of textured soy protein or TSP. This general type of nutrition serves in many of the new wave of meatless products on the market. Manufacturers can give it nearly limitless presentations. Look for it in the ground beef substitutes section of your local market.

TempehTempeh, a product made from barley, is a harder, drier food, but with some care, it can also be made to resemble ground beef. Tempeh stands up well to pressure and does well grilled or fried with spices.

TofuAnother meatless product, tofu is familiar to many who see it in various food markets. Tofu has been around for a while. It's available in different textures, from soft to extra-firm and can be made many different ways. Some consider it an able substitute for ground beef in some dishes.

As a general practice, vegetarians rely on soy proteins, wheat gluten, or other non-meat elements with nutritional content to get their favorite foods in a meat-free fashion. Whether you’re in a restaurant, in the supermarket aisle or in the kitchen, look for these kinds of foods to continue becoming a part of what Americans eat on a daily basis. As stated before, many shoppers are turning away from the butcher’s counter, whether it’s for economic, health, or environmental/ecological reasons, or out of consideration for the animals and workers involved in the factory farming process. Some food makers have met these shoppers halfway as they rounded the corner, and the result is easy-to-find vegetarian choices for today’s menu.

Has anyone here visited the LDS cannery in Worcester? They sell pre-canned long-life foods, or you can make an appointment and can THEIR products. They also sell mylar bags and 02 absorbers. It's on Brook street in Worcester. Home Storage Center Locations Wheat, Flour, Sugar, Dry Milk, Beans, etc. You could build a pantry for (10-30 year) long shelf like with a Visa and a pickup truck in a day.

- - - Updated - - -

it's tofu/TVP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

I heard about this place also, isnt it MUCH cheaper to do it through here cause its some non profit thing or something like that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

That has been my experience. I've also found that if you get some freeze dried stuff that is too salty, etc, that rice and beans added to the main entree makes a nice way to both dilute the overall salty taste, and it also makes the rations last longer....

If you have this bland stuff, it is critical to add spices. Salt, Pepper, hot sauce, lemon, lime, dried basil, mustard, ketchup, maple, etc.. Butter too.

Wise is garbage. Took them up on some free samples... for that they are not "Wise" because anyone who would buy that crap after trying the samples would have to be a mental defective.

Take a package of ramen, toss out the seasoning packet and replace with 4 parts salt and 1 part pepper. Boom, Wise meal.

Don't have time to look through the thread to see if this has been posted, but I just thought of something. In SHTF scenario where canned food has been cleared off the shelves, protein powder like Muscle Milk may not have been picked through. Not a total replacement for meals but an excellent supplement to keep food stores longer. Great shelf life too.

Back
Top Bottom