Long shelf life foods

Don't know of any locally. I order the Mylar bags on-line.

Make sure you get good quality, 5 mil thick with either an FDA approved ziplock or do a heat seal.

If you use the Mylar bags, you can use the generic buckets made in Leominster, you don't need a food grade bucket as the food isn't going to touch the bucket. Just make sure the gasket is in good shape on the lid and use a mallet to get it on tight. Any hardware store will have the 5 gallon and probably the 1 gallon too. Wash it out with soapy water and make sure it is very dry before using and you will be fine.

Last edited:
When you turn over those Home Depot buckets, you'll see they all say they were made in Leominster. (^_^)

4.3 mil should be OK I would think as long as they seal well.

We restocked our rice recently in at the Super88 when I picked up Banana Leaves for our party. Nice 50lb bag of some white (don't think it was Basmati) for like $12 and a another 50lbs of 'sweet' rice which was like $35, but we prefer that when making Thai foods with a curry sauce. Also picked up a good supply of various curry pastes in cans.

Leftovers, curry paste and maybe some coconut milk all simmered and served over rice is not only a quick and easy meal, but darn good too.

Haven't seen Honey listed, but Honey is also a very long term stoarge food (Wax Sealed Jars of Honey have been recovered from Egypt and were still safe to eat after boiling and skimming, and that's after more than 3,000 years of storage.

I've had to make meals for a sizeble number people on the cheap, but provide a mix of quick and sustained energy. Kidney Beans, White Rice and Honey. Fed 50 people.

A great note about making sure you have variety. It's easy for things to get boring fast, even things you love, when it's all you have.

I have been thinking about building a FIFO (First In, First Out) rack for storing canned goods that allows insertion of new cans on their side from the back and removal of existing cans from the front for natural stock rotation.

A good starting recommendation is to look at how often your local grocery store runs sales on foods, and try to build up a stock that is roughly 2x thier cycle. That will allow you to review what's on sale each week and restock items when they are on sale. This process will actually save money since you're only buying items when they are at a good price.

You don't need to buy a huge stock all at once either. Start picking up 1 extra of products that you normally buy with a shelf life of at least 6 months. Take this item and put it in your storage area so you don't include it when deciding when you pick up that item again.
The next time you pick up that item normally, replace the 1 item you have in storage with 1 newly purchased item plus the new 1 extra. As this process repeats over and over, your stock will slowly grow. Since you're only buying a couple of extra things each week, it's not a huge outlay all at once.

When you have a supply of an item that meets your needs for roughly half of its expected shelf-life, change from buying one extra to buying the amount you need and continue storing newly purchased items and bringing the longest stored items up to your kitchen pantry.

I also recommend making an inventory of what you have. A spread-sheet that lists items in a vertical column, then the row allows you to add number of items purchased and expiration date to the column. As you use stuff, cross it off, that why you have a list of what you have AND what its expiration date is. That will help you monitor stores and, should you ever need it use them, know exactly what you have and a pretty good idea how long it will last.

The biggest issue I see with building long-term supply store is prescription medication. Most places carefully regulate how much medication they give you, making it very difficult to build up an emergency supply for necessary medications. If you can talk to your doctor about it, you "might" be able to get him to give you a script for an extra 3-months supply, so at least you'll have 3-months of medication, then just rotate this out as you get more medication so it doesn't expire.

For FIFO system check out www.shelfreliance.com They are a great system. You can make your own if you dont want to buy them.

I have about 3 months of food in canned format but I really just want to put away a chunk for long term in case things really deteriorate.

Libertarian,

similar to what I was thinking, but their front load / front unload system is very space inefficient. They're wasted at least 30% of the available volume of that rack in the gap between the rear-tilted loading rack and the front tilted unloading rack.

What I envisioned was a stack of slightly front tilted racks spaced all of an inch wider than the cans with a single row from back to front of each can to allow maximum use of available volume for storage, though it means having to gain access to the back of the rack as well.

Thank you very much for the post though, it does offer some great ideas on how to build the unit.

Most plastic pails that you see in this area were made by Plastican of Leominster. If anyone is interested, I'll look into pricing for a pallet of them. I know they come 120 pails to a pallet and we'd need to get 2 cases of lids ( They come 60 to a case). Might be a bit cheaper than 2.39 like at HD or True Value.[wink]

Canned goods with the new quick open pull top vs old style.

I noticed the expiration dates on some canned soup we purchased at Costco last weekend. It expires in less than 2 yrs ??

I guess these new style canned soup tops do not allow for as long as storage.

Canned goods with the new quick open pull top vs old style.

I noticed the expiration dates on some canned soup we purchased at Costco last weekend. It expires in less than 2 yrs ??

I guess these new style canned soup tops do not allow for as long as storage.

That would be my guess as well.

It is (almost) all about the integrity of the can. As long as that hermetic seal remains intact, the food should be edible. Yes there is a little enzymatic breakdown over the years (more like decade), chemical breakdown of the lining, and oxidation of the can itself. But that primarily effects the taste and only some of its nutritive value.

Besides, if they rate it for 2 years, they have to be able to prove it is good after 2 years. The method that juries best understand is to can some up and let it sit on some shelf for 2 years. For a product development cycle, that is darned near forever. In other words, they screw the long term proof in order to get to making their development costs back ASAP.

In other words, if that of can of Dinty Moore gets (re)discovered in the back corner of the basement 10 years from now, and it isn't bulging or leaking, it is probably edible, even if it best served mixed up with dry kibble.

Anyone know about these "high energy biscuits" they are passing out in Haiti? Seems a lot more compact then MREs, though they don't replace them entirely of course, but they are appropriate for infants who can eat porridge. Norwegian made BP-5 seem pretty standard, perhaps a group buy?!

Last edited:
Anyone know about these "high energy biscuits" they are passing out in Haiti? Seems a lot more compact then MREs, though they don't replace them entirely of course, but they are appropriate for infants who can eat porridge. Norwegian made BP-5 seem pretty standard, perhaps a group buy?!

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=240_247&products_id=553
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=240_247&products_id=385
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=240_247&products_id=556

I've been wanting to order some for my GHB, etc. but haven't tried them yet.

anyone have any experience with this stuff? heard about it on the radio, and it looks pretty good.

http://www.foodinsurance.com/food_insurance/how_much_do_i_need.php

putting up 3 months worth of food for $1500 seems like a pretty minimal investment to get you through the winter months, etc., before growing season starts.

I came across this once and did the math, total profiteering. Even stocking up on Mountain House at Walmart would be cheaper.

Before making any major investment like this in long-life food, you should be sure to have your bases covered with a good pantry. You can easily store 6 months of food with a well organized pantry and actually save yourself money. If you need more than 1 year of food, you need a bigger garden [wink]

I have to agree with Hiltonizer. We grow our own vegies for the year and I freeze and can them. I am actually trying to get 2 years ahead on vegies, since last summer showed us with all the rain what can happen.
You can definitely stock up cheaper.
Check out Emergency Essentials since Ithink they are actually cheaper than what you are looking at and have more of a variety you can choose from.
I do suggest you try them before you buy alot of them to make sure you can stand to eat them, and then rotate them in to your normal eating.
There are some food co ops where you can get beans, flour, etc fairly cheap, but you have to package and store them so they will last.

Was sick yesterday, so I was making myself some soup using "Better than Bullion" that's been in my fridge for at least a year now, and the "best when purchases by" date is in 2012.

It needs to be refrigerated after opening, but lasts a long time even after opening as long as its kept cold. You mix a teaspoon of the paste with water and boil to make broth. With a 3 year store shelf life, it's a good addition to the stores. I use it with rice and dried spices to make a rice soup base.

Certainly easier than storing broth and it has more protien and fat than bullion powder or cubes

Two Month Supply for Two People of Shelf Stable Grocery Store-Purchased Foods:

Starches (daily: 6 servings, 2 people/60 days: 720 servings)

12 boxes (10 packets ea.) instant oatmeal (120 servings)
6 lbs. rice (120 servings)
8 lbs. pasta (120 servings)
3 boxes instant potatoes (60 servings)
60 cans starchy vegetables (beets, carrots, corn, lima beans, sweet peas) (180 servings)
15 lbs flour (for baking bread) (120 servings)

Vegetables (daily: 4 servings, 2 people/60 days: 480 servings)
160 cans non-starchy vegetables (or 120 cans veggies & 20 jars spaghetti sauce)
(artichokes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, yellow beans, wax beans, mushrooms, okra, spinach, tomatoes)

Fruit (daily: 3 servings, 2 people/60 days: 360 servings)
120 cans fruit (no sugar added)
Meats/Legumes (daily: 4 servings, 2 people/60 days: 480 servings)

30 (6 oz) cans tuna (90 servings)
12 (15 oz) cans salmon (90 servings)
15 (12 oz) cans chicken (90 servings)
15 (12 oz) cans turkey (90 servings)
15 (5 oz) cans ham (30 servings)
30 cans (or 7 lbs. dry) beans (90 servings) (kidney, navy, great northern)

Dairy (daily: 3 servings, 2 people/60 days: 360 servings)
6 (25 oz) boxes non-fat dry milk (enough to make 12 gallons)
or 16 (12.6 oz) cans NIDO brand dry whole milk (can be found in ethnic foods section)
6 lbs. Velveeta cheese
12 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk

Other:

10 lbs. sugar
20 packages active dry yeast
4 (26 oz) containers salt
2 lbs. popcorn
4 jars peanut butter (40oz)
4 (32 oz) bottles vegetable oil
shortening
syrup/molasses/honey
jam/jelly
nuts
dried onions, garlic & other spices
large bottle of Multi-vitamins

I'd appreciate hearing from folks regarding what they store long term for protein.

I know about smoking meats, as well as jerky, spam, tuna in foil packages, etc., but wonder if there are other meat or fish products in the commercial freeze dried realm that people like and trust.

Also, does anyone can meat in mason jars or anything like that? What types of meat/fish?

We've gotten some commercial canned meats that we like. "Grabill Country" brand distributed by Pleasant Hill Grain (pleasanthillgrain.com I think). There are different varieties of meats, fully cooked, packed in their own juices with salt and pepper only. They come in 14 oz cans and they claim a shelf life of over 5 years. Also, yesterday B.J.s had three small canned hams for $8.00.

For long term protien, I store lots of canned stuff (tuna, spam, vienna sausages, etc) and I also just bought a bunch of the mountain house stuff. The mountain hose is expensive, but it tastes surprisingly good and lasts for at least 20 years. Don't listen to the advice on rotating when it comes to Mountain house stuff because it is too expensive and it lasts so long that there is really no need. If I have not needed to eat it by the time it is set to expire, then that means we dodged the bullet and life can pretty much go on as normal.

I used to sell Mountainhouse products back when I worked for a backcountry outfitter in Colorado. Most of their pre-prepared meals are quite good but at the end of they day they are still dehydrated foods. They taste better the further you are from the truck is what I say. Appetite is the best spice.

You really don't need to use mountain house and stuff for a long term stash. There are a lot of things that have an indefinite shelf life right in your supermarket. Here's a link.

http://www.a1usa.net/gary/expire.html

Save a few bucks using things like Spam and Dinty Moore, etc.. I know it's not like sitting at the Four Seasons, it's about a good size stash for long term, not about breaking the bank doing it. Plus this is all everyday stuff that you can use to rotate stock. Not your special purchase of M. House.

This link is not working for me. Is it me can you see it?

Got a chance to try Mountainhouse beef stew, and eggs and bacon this morning Ive got to say it wasn't that bad in fact I will be going back to Wal Mart in Fall River to stock up on a few for camping this summer. They only have a select few on the shelf so grab em before I do.

The Walmart in Leominster has some of the single serving bags for sale in the camping section. Good way to try before you go in for a #10 can. I have had several of the meals and they have all been pretty good. Better by far than MRE anything.

Hormel Chili Master is so good!
Roasted tomato, Chipotle. & white chili are all A+1
Got a exp date of 2014 cant beat em $1.90 a can at wal-mart try it.

Two Month Supply for Two People of Shelf Stable Grocery Store-Purchased Foods:

Starches (daily: 6 servings, 2 people/60 days: 720 servings)

12 boxes (10 packets ea.) instant oatmeal (120 servings)
6 lbs. rice (120 servings)
8 lbs. pasta (120 servings)
3 boxes instant potatoes (60 servings)
60 cans starchy vegetables (beets, carrots, corn, lima beans, sweet peas) (180 servings)
15 lbs flour (for baking bread) (120 servings)

Vegetables (daily: 4 servings, 2 people/60 days: 480 servings)
160 cans non-starchy vegetables (or 120 cans veggies & 20 jars spaghetti sauce)
(artichokes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, yellow beans, wax beans, mushrooms, okra, spinach, tomatoes)

Fruit (daily: 3 servings, 2 people/60 days: 360 servings)
120 cans fruit (no sugar added)
Meats/Legumes (daily: 4 servings, 2 people/60 days: 480 servings)

30 (6 oz) cans tuna (90 servings)
12 (15 oz) cans salmon (90 servings)
15 (12 oz) cans chicken (90 servings)
15 (12 oz) cans turkey (90 servings)
15 (5 oz) cans ham (30 servings)
30 cans (or 7 lbs. dry) beans (90 servings) (kidney, navy, great northern)

Dairy (daily: 3 servings, 2 people/60 days: 360 servings)
6 (25 oz) boxes non-fat dry milk (enough to make 12 gallons)
or 16 (12.6 oz) cans NIDO brand dry whole milk (can be found in ethnic foods section)
6 lbs. Velveeta cheese
12 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk

Other:

10 lbs. sugar
20 packages active dry yeast
4 (26 oz) containers salt
2 lbs. popcorn
4 jars peanut butter (40oz)
4 (32 oz) bottles vegetable oil
shortening
syrup/molasses/honey
jam/jelly