• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long shelf life foods

What is the shelf life of rice? I was at BJs tonight and noted that the 50-lb bags of rice are only $14. I'd like to set aside 3-4 months worth of food for my family and I'm thinking of storing rice inside large Rubbermaid plastic containers. I estimate each 100 lb would be good for about a month for my family.

I'm also thinking about stockpiling large cans of tuna, bags of sugar, jugs of oil, etc. Any thoughts on rice or other readily obtainable (and edible) staples other than Raman noodles?
I have about 50 pounds of rice in my shooting bags. Gotta be five years old. They sound perfectly fine. I bet I cook them if needed. Rice, it's dual purpose 😀

Came across this from Eric of Pew Pew tactical. Can't vouch for his expertise in this area but he appears to have done some homework and extensive testing.

Snow's clams, expiration in 3/2018 made some perfectly reasonable chowder at 5+ years past expiration
Expiration dates are such bullshit. I've had several canned products 5 years past expiration and they were all fine. This is why I love OSJL since their canned/dry items are close to expiration so they're all priced to liquidate.

Medications too. Your 5 yr expired ibuprofen and sterile gauze is more than fine.

Where do you guys store all of your long shelf-life food? I’m running out of space… I have rice, dry beans, popcorn, sugar, flour, etc. in 5-gal buckets with screw-top lids in one closet, #10 cans in another closet, and gallons of water and other food-stuffs in the insulated garage… starting to run out of space, so looking for storage ideas…

IMG_2862.jpeg

67296186933__C7AF96E9-216D-4FF4-A2BF-C5FEAEB472AA.jpeg

I have a good size space in the garage. We have stairs leading to a storage space the second floor in the garage. But I've got a pretty well full at this point

I have a good size space in the garage. We have stairs leading to a storage space the second floor in the garage. But I've got a pretty well full at this point
How hot does it get in the summer? Heat is your enemy almost more than humidity and rodents. Heat definitely shortens the shelf life. I guess if SHTF, eat that food first.

Where do you guys store all of your long shelf-life food? I’m running out of space… I have rice, dry beans, popcorn, sugar, flour, etc. in 5-gal buckets with screw-top lids in one closet, #10 cans in another closet, and gallons of water and other food-stuffs in the insulated garage… starting to run out of space, so looking for storage ideas…

View attachment 839166

View attachment 839174
Behind, under and inside furniture, Under beds. I knew a girl who made a make-shift coffee table by using a storage tub for a base, covered it with some sort of fabric that hung down to the bottom and then used a glass top.

How hot does it get in the summer? Heat is your enemy almost more than humidity and rodents. Heat definitely shortens the shelf life. I guess if SHTF, eat that food first.
Fortunately, my garage stays relatively cool and does not get too hot since it is insulated.

I tend to store my water jugs in brown paper bags or contractor grade black plastic bags and as far from direct sunlight as possible to extend the shelf life, since I don’t rotate through it as regularly as I should.

insulated...the garage level doesn't get hot at all, 2nd fl is an oven. in winter garage is at 40deg on the coldest days

Be warned that these canned tomatoes do not age well.
This is my second Tutorossi tomato case cans that have failed and destroyed cans below.

This is in temp and humidity controlled space.
Ive heard tomato products in general dont age well

I have pasta sauce in glass jars from 2014 we're still using. My son made pasta with one today. I don't keep anything tomato past a year or two in cans though.

Be warned that these canned tomatoes do not age well.
This is my second Tutorossi tomato case cans that have failed and destroyed cans below.

This is in temp and humidity controlled space.
How old are those? I've never seen that. Not that we ever keep them on the shelf very long.
6 months max the way we co thru them.

Costco: Kirkland Signature, Organic Reduced Fat Chocolate Milk, 8.25 fl oz, 24-Count. Shelf-Stable. Sold unrefrigerated in the Juice/Soda area.

Tastes fine 1.5 years past the "Expired 06/01/2022" date

imageService

Last edited:
We try to cylce through the dry goods, but I found a wayward bag of Costco Dried Mangos at the bottom of the screw-top 5-Gallon dried fruit bucket...

"Best Before 05.03.2022?" Pretty damn good almost two years later. Other than the date, I wouldn't have known these weren't just out of the warehouse.

Back
Top Bottom