• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long range rifle training - hunting

Vin100

NES Member
Hello - I am planning a sheep hunt and would like to brush up on my long range skills. Is there a coarse available in greater New England?

Thank you.

Vin

It would be helpful if you can clarify what you consider long range. 300 yards? 500 yards? 1000? More?

Google can be your friend try “precision rifle training.”

Sig Sauer academy in Epping NH has intro course (out to 300 yards) and advanced courses to 1000 yards. April and May courses seem already full.

If you haven’t already done so join a club with longer range. ( Harvard out to 300 and Granby to 500).

Thanks for the feedback. Shots are average 300- 400 yards. Looking for some real training. Didn’t know Sig offered riffle. I’ll look again at Sig and research the facility.

I am a member of woodcock in Dartmouth they are I think out to 500. I’ll ask around there as well.

I'll be at a class later on this month in Dalton NH at Ridgeline precision taking the Precision Rifle Fundamentals 1.5 class.

Precision 1.5 - Precision Rifle Fundamentals

2 Days/20 Hrs/400rds

Designed for beginner/intermediate shooters, PR 1.5 adds a second day to our Intro course. Graduates of this course will be able to achieve a hit rate of 80% or above on B/C sized or smaller targets to distances of 700+ yards, without technological aids or the use of a spotter.

Topics Include:

• Equipment Selections
  • How to properly setup a Precision Rifle
  • The Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship
  • The Zeroing Process
  • An Introduction to Ballistic Theory
  • Data Collection/Validation from 100-750 Yards
  • Wind Theory and Application (MOD 1)
  • How to develop a Firing Solution
  • How to Decrease Engagement Time

It's an investment at $500.00 but I think it's worth it for what I will learn.

As others have said, there is Sig Sauer also.

Absolutely!

This article was great, but like all things on the web, you talk yourself in and out of anything, still think 300 win mag.

.300 Win Mag vs .30-06 Sprg – Cartridge Comparison | Sniper Country
Those two calibers bring back memories to son Mark in Alaska. When he had sled dogs, his food storage shed attracted the brown bears. One day a really big one wanted to get into his house for breakfast. He clawed at the door for a while and backed off. Mark nailed him with a full mag of .300 Win Mag and his wife emptied her .30-06. They both reloaded and finally put the bear down. Not one shot had missed. That afternoon they took both rifles to the gun shop and came back with a .338 Win Mag and a .375 H&H. Like they say, have enough gun for the job at hand. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom