• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long range antelope kill at 1567 yards!

DW357

NES Member
Saw this on my FB newsfeed earlier today from a reloading supply company. Pretty impressive. Hadn't heard of 300 Norma before seeing this video. This was in New Mexico.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys must have some good optics to spot these antelope let alone drop one on the first shot at 1567 yards lol.

That's a big heavy bullet @ 230gr, there must be a metric shit ton of powder behind that. Sounds like that shot was through a can? Either way, hell of a shot, you could count the seconds to impact.

Impressive, sure... but the words unethical and irresponsible come to mind.. guarantee of a quick and clean kill shot at that distance.. I think not!

My $0.02.. ymmv....

let the flames begin..

Impressive, sure... but the words unethical and irresponsible come to mind.. guarantee of a quick and clean kill shot at that distance.. I think not!

My $0.02.. ymmv....

let the flames begin..

I know there are people who are very serious about long range hunting. They practice a lot and maybe this person is one of them, so we shouldn't condemn them with terms like unethical. They may have done a lot of serious practice, who knows....

But, I would not take that shot. You should be able to get a lot closer than 1500 yards if you have any stalking skills. I know folks that have taken antelope and most were between 100 -300 yards, or so they said. I think these distances are reasonable.
I should note there is no "guaranteed kill shot" at any distance. I have missed and seen others miss gimme shots and most folks who hunt will admit to that.

It was a great shot and kudos to them for making it, but can they do it again at will, I wonder.

I would never take that shot. Hunting an animal, especially a large game animal, is supposed to be dispatched humanely. 200-300, even 400 yards with the appropriate gear and experienced shooter fine. 1000+ yards? Lucky at best.......not lucky to hit a target. I'm sure the hunter in that video has experimented shooting that distance many times before so hitting an antelope size target is pretty much a given but where it is hit and how quickly it puts the animal down.......preserving the meat.....is questionable. You wanna shoot like that? Shoot metal gongs or life-size metal targets or even paper...or bad guys in Afganistan but not animals you are going to harvest. I'd love to try it myself. I would NEVER try to shoot an animal at that distance because no matter how good your sighting is, the variables to move the bullet back into the gut area are way too prevalent.

Rome

I would never take that shot. Hunting an animal, especially a large game animal, is supposed to be dispatched humanely. 200-300, even 400 yards with the appropriate gear and experienced shooter fine. 1000+ yards? Lucky at best.......not lucky to hit a target. I'm sure the hunter in that video has experimented shooting that distance many times before so hitting an antelope size target is pretty much a given but where it is hit and how quickly it puts the animal down.......preserving the meat.....is questionable. You wanna shoot like that? Shoot metal gongs or life-size metal targets or even paper...or bad guys in Afganistan but not animals you are going to harvest. I'd love to try it myself. I would NEVER try to shoot an animal at that distance because no matter how good your sighting is, the variables to move the bullet back into the gut area are way too prevalent.

Rome
100%. Every last word.

Rome

Did you, BigTimber, and hbennet watch the video? The animal dropped like a rock. You gonna tell me a sniper making a 1500 yard head shot is luck? With the right equipment, conditions, and shooter there is absolutely nothing wrong with that shot. I've seen tons of videos of Fudds with their 30.06 at 50 yards wounding the hell out of deer.

deer_arrow.jpg

20081228__ArrowDeer~p1.jpg

With the right idiot behind the weapon any range shot could be shitty. We watched a animal drop literally like a rock, it doesn't get anymore humane then that. Just because you don't feel comfortable about doesn't mean there aren't plenty of guys who can do it more consistently than some Fudds inside of 100 yards..

220 gr (14 g) MatchKing3,003 ft/s (915 m/s)
4,404 ft·lbf (5,971 J)
Thats really hauling the mail. I do wonder what the velocity and energy was at contact from that distance. But the way the animal dropped I dont think it slowed down too much.

With all due respect... Yes, I did watch the video.. And counted 2-3 seconds of flight time between the time of the rifle report and the strike to the animal.. Given that the kill zone on an antelope has is 14' - 15" ..by my calculation..and correct me if I am wrong..at that range that's a 1 MOA shot..and with the potential for the animal to move during that 2-3 second hang time .. makes the shot iffy at best..

The knockdown power of the round is not in question.. the rifle could be a 1/4 moa or less shooter..the ammo could also be that acurate..the shooter could be the worlds greatest marksman..the quesion is in the ethics of taking a shot with so many variables..

My opinion..and I am sure I'm wired different then most..is that the hunter show his prey respect by a quick, efficient, and SURE kill shot.. (for professional snipers..bad-guys excepted, of course..)

IMHO-- that wasn't hunting.. that was target shooting..

FWIW- I counted at least 2 other animals in that scene.. and since the video was from the perspective of the spotting scope and not the crosshairs on the sight.. how do we KNOW that the animal that dropped was the intended target? Just sayin...

Last edited:
I'm all for hunting for food and wildlife management...

But are hunters always so enthusiastic about killing an innocent animal?

I'm sure they will eat it but why the hysterical laughter.

They should be more respectful when killing such a creature who is lower on the food chain than a human.

If they were killing chickens by chopping of their heads would they be laughing too?

Sounds like they were target shooting and being jack asses.

No self respecting hunter would act like that.

They should be thankful for nature providing their food.

These sort of people make hunters sound like degenerate ghouls.

Probably spent a fair amount of time torturing animals when they were younger too.

Now, if they were killing a terrorist at that distance and let out a chuckle - that would be different.

Personally, I enjoy gunship cams blowing up terrorists much better.

Always lots of laughter and jokes but that is ok by me.

I am just saying these hunters should have more respect for the animal they just killed.

Says the guy who buys his meat that was processed from a "humane" slaughter house.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy

I can't control how my meat get slaughtered.

I know if I was slaughtering it myself (not that I have done that yet) I would not be laughing hysterically like a psychopathic hyena.

These "hunters" are of the same ilk that would torture animals at the slaughter house. Or rip chickens beaks off.

I am all for being a carnivore but I would not feel like a high and mighty person when I would kill my food.

These guys are very, very, small "men".

Wow...lots-o-criticism for a nice shot. With food so plentiful and at our finger tips just around the corner at the next supermarket is this a necessary shot to take to kill for food? Maybe not.

But I see a lot of threads that start with 'SHTF'. So I think of it this way.....In a SHTF situation is this guy going to be able to provide food for his family? Yup? Do you know why? Not because of luck. It wasn't luck that he hit his target and yes there were several seconds of flight for the projectile.

But if you don't practice the skill you won't have the skill when you need it.

I'm no expert but to me that was a skill shot. The animal went down as fast as gravity could work. So no animal suffering occurred.

His exuberance after the kill? Maybe he had been practicing at those distances for sometime and this could have been his first actual hunt. I would be pretty excited too.

Self defense threads are all about practicing for the situation you haven't been in yet. This guy can check this one off his list and sleep better at night knowing he can make that 1,500 yard shot to provide food for his family is it ever becomes necessary.

I have no problem with hunting.

No problem with taking such a distant shot.

No problem killing nuisance animals like wild boars from helicopters.

It needs to be done.

Killing terrorist I’m sure if fun too since they are killing us.

I’m sure that under certain conditions there could be humor found when it is so personal.

I get the thrill of the hunt and the adrenalin.

Killing animals is not humorous although I guess it could be fun - just not “funny”.

Seriously, who laughs that much when killing animals.

These are the same sorts of people who would laugh after stomping a litter of kittens which a cop did on a SWAT raid one time.

They give hunters, conservationists, sportsman, nature lovers, and Americans a bad name.

I’m sure he WILL sleep better…

However, I bet he was a prolific bed wetter long after most healthy kids.

Animal cruelty and bedwetting go hand in hand.

It is part of the homicidal triad.

I have no problem with hunting.

No problem with taking such a distant shot.

No problem killing nuisance animals like wild boars from helicopters.

It needs to be done.

Killing terrorist I’m sure if fun too since they are killing us.

I’m sure that under certain conditions there could be humor found when it is so personal.

I get the thrill of the hunt and the adrenalin.

Killing animals is not humorous although I guess it could be fun - just not “funny”.

Seriously, who laughs that much when killing animals.

These are the same sorts of people who would laugh after stomping a litter of kittens which a cop did on a SWAT raid one time.

They give hunters, conservationists, sportsman, nature lovers, and Americans a bad name.

I’m sure he WILL sleep better…

However, I bet he was a prolific bed wetter long after most healthy kids.

Animal cruelty and bedwetting go hand in hand.

It is part of the homicidal triad.

I don't see the part where he was cruel to the animal. The animal has no idea how far the shot was. The animal died seemingly as quickly as it could die and I doubt the animal heard his comments and even so I don't think animal spoke and understood english....

Back
Top Bottom