• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long range antelope kill at 1567 yards!

I don't see the part where he was cruel to the animal. The animal has no idea how far the shot was. The animal died seemingly as quickly as it could die and I doubt the animal heard his comments and even so I don't think animal spoke and understood english....

It was not cruel to the animal.

It just seemed to me that he should have had more respect than laughing like a drunken hyena.

It seemed like he was gloating at how much better he was than the animal.

Back on topic though - that was one hell of a shot. I'd love to see what the actual shooter saw in his scope and how big the animal was compared to the reticle.

It just seemed to me that he should have had more respect than laughing like a drunken hyena.

Back on topic though - that was one hell of a shot. I'd love to see what the actual shooter saw in his scope and how big the animal was compared to the reticle.

I don't know...I don't hunt. I should but i don't. But I do fish. And not that I have caught thousands of fish I have caught my share. I still get pretty excited. I don;'t think he was being disrespectful. Disrespectful would have been making and bad or careless shot that just wounded the animal and cause suffering. he didn't do that.

I'm ok with his reaction. It was a great shot that not many of us could make.

These TV types that get all religious about killing an animal and praying is just PC BS to satisfy the anti's.

You show respect for the animal by making a clean shot and a quick kill. Use the bounty wisely and efficiently and you can do back flips from where you took the shot all the way down to where you dress the animal.

but that's just my opinion. He did alright.

I don't know...I don't hunt. I should but i don't. But I do fish. And not that I have caught thousands of fish I have caught my share. I still get pretty excited. I don;'t think he was being disrespectful. Disrespectful would have been making and bad or careless shot that just wounded the animal and cause suffering. he didn't do that.

I'm ok with his reaction. It was a great shot that not many of us could make.

These TV types that get all religious about killing an animal and praying is just PC BS to satisfy the anti's.

You show respect for the animal by making a clean shot and a quick kill. Use the bounty wisely and efficiently and you can do back flips from where you took the shot all the way down to where you dress the animal.

but that's just my opinion. He did alright.

I'm not saying you have to be religious or pray either.

Although, I used to word "bounty".

The guy just sounded kinda ghoulish.

Let's assume a 1/2 minute rifle with perfect hand loads, clear scope, and a shooter who knows his come-ups.
There are still too many variables at play that you can't control when attempting a shot like that.
You can hear the wind blowing in the mic; depending on pick-ups and let-offs in the mile between rifle and target, I think any hit is shit luck.
Animal takes one step and the bullet completely misses or worse.

I'm impressed he made the shot. He obviously has shot at those distances before and knows his stuff, but shit luck had at least 50% play in it.

Let's assume a 1/2 minute rifle with perfect hand loads, clear scope, and a shooter who knows his come-ups.
There are still too many variables at play that you can't control when attempting a shot like that.
You can hear the wind blowing in the mic; depending on pick-ups and let-offs in the mile between rifle and target, I think any hit is shit luck.
Animal takes one step and the bullet completely misses or worse.

I'm impressed he made the shot. He obviously has shot at those distances before and knows his stuff, but shit luck had at least 50% play in it.

maybe so. But I think trained snipers make those shots all day. I have no idea what this guys background in long distance shooting is but I thought he showed some skill...

Does anyone even know where the animal was hit.

Seemed like a blur. I presume the only way the drop like a sack of rocks if it is a good hit?

I am surprised they didn't take photos of the prize.

Who knows, maybe they just left it there to rot? (speculation)

Judging by the tire tracks in the grass in front of them, it looks as though they may have put a salt lick or something else to bring them in. Shooting at that range doesn't seem like it would be a quick snap shot when you see some Antelope.

I put a deer down with my 30/30 @ 125 yards once when I was 16. I had worked on my 100 yard shots pretty hard, and I knew I could make the shot. It was a good hit, through both lungs, and the animal dropped after running 40-50 yards. After I watched it go down, I laughed like a little kid on Christmas morning. Granted, this was nothing like the 9/10 mile shot in the video, and may be just a matter of course for a lot of the guys here, but it was an accomplishment that I had worked for and achieved. No disrespect for the animal or the hunt, and no I was not a prolific bed wetter.

Does anyone even know where the animal was hit.

Seemed like a blur. I presume the only way the drop like a sack of rocks if it is a good hit?

I am surprised they didn't take photos of the prize.

Who knows, maybe they just left it there to rot? (speculation)

Seriously? Seriously? A) that was an amazing shot. B) this is totally over the line bullshit.

impressive shot, dropped like a rock. I would never have attempted it, as a) I'm not that good of a distance shot, b) don't have the equipment.
Good eating though

maybe so. But I think trained snipers make those shots all day. I have no idea what this guys background in long distance shooting is but I thought he showed some skill...
I believe in the true sniper community, a 1500 yard hit would be considered extrodinary. Not at all a daily occurance.

I'm not losing sleep over this however. And I'll assume they had tags and it was in season and they bothered to recover the animal. But no one here knows where the shot hit and how the animal died. Dropping like a rock proves nothing. And at that distance they weren't in position for a dispatching follow up shot were they. Sure it could have been a quick death. It also could have been a gut shot or spine shot. Both can and will anchor a animal and may not cause death for some time. Also the notion that a 1500 yard shot on a living target is a sure thing for any shooter is bull shit. As stated earlier this was not hunting this was target practice. IMO if your going to kill a animal you should do everything in your power to make it as clean and as quick as possible. You want to pretend your Carlos hathcock go buy a steel target. These clowns treated that prong horn like it was a beer can sitting on some guys fence post.

Nothing better than guys in New England criticizing guys in New Mexico. I mean, the landscape, culture, history, traditions, and way of life are exactly the same.

Shit. I felt more out of place in New Mexico than I did in Slovenia. But whatever.

My standard reply to shots like these is: "let's see you do it again".

Yep. At that distance, when you include environmentals, nothing will hold tighter than a 15-18" group. And that's in a vise with virtually no measurable wind. Just the variance in potential accuracy is enough that he likely couldn't do it again.

Yep. At that distance, when you include environmentals, nothing will hold tighter than a 15-18" group. And that's in a vise with virtually no measurable wind. Just the variance in potential accuracy is enough that he likely couldn't do it again.

Agree 100%. Anyone who thinks that when the shooter took this shot he knew there was a high degree of probability that he would hit the animal, much less kill it almost instantaneously doesn't understand long range shooting. Just because you may be able to consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yards doesn't mean you can shoot 15" groups at 1500 yards. Assuming the shooter does everything perfectly in lining up and sending the shot downrange, and a sub MOA gun with match ammo, you still have to factor in wind, heat, humidity, altitude, etc. If he misjudges with wind speed or direction by even 1-2 mph, at that distance it's going to have a significant effect on the bullets point of impact. And of course his rangefinder also has to be 100% accurate. There are simply too many variables that have to come together for this shot to be something the shooter could consistently duplicate.

Let's define our terms:

This wasn't hunting. They knew where the animals were.

This was long-range target shooting, and one helluva impressive bit of marksmanship.

This was target shooting using a (possibly baited) live game animal as an experimental target.

I'm always impressed by long-range marksmanship. I support hunting. I love eating wild game.

That said, anyone who puts this much into a 1,500 yard shot is all about making the shot; not the hunt, nor the meat. Hunters seek the maximum kill probability, not the minimum.

And yes, I've seen way more than my share of slobs using anything from bows to .30-06 rifles. I've seen 40 yard shots claimed as 125 with a .30-30, and 70 yard shots claimed as 250 with a bolt gun. Fish stories got nuttin' on deer stories, where 40 pounds of meat come from "250 pound" bucks.

These guys should put up gongs for their long-range fun, not salt licks.

I'm all for hunting for food and wildlife management...

But are hunters always so enthusiastic about killing an innocent animal?

I'm sure they will eat it but why the hysterical laughter.

They should be more respectful when killing such a creature who is lower on the food chain than a human.

If they were killing chickens by chopping of their heads would they be laughing too?

Sounds like they were target shooting and being jack asses.

No self respecting hunter would act like that.

They should be thankful for nature providing their food.

These sort of people make hunters sound like degenerate ghouls.

Probably spent a fair amount of time torturing animals when they were younger too.

Now, if they were killing a terrorist at that distance and let out a chuckle - that would be different.

Personally, I enjoy gunship cams blowing up terrorists much better.

Always lots of laughter and jokes but that is ok by me.

I am just saying these hunters should have more respect for the animal they just killed.

All the antelope I have ever seen look guilty as sin!
How do you know that one was innocent?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom