• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Overdue: Ralph Puckett, Medal of Honor

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Just saw this online:

"Last week, I wrote about the unexpected death of our friend, Medal of Honor recipient Chuck Hagemeister. His death reduced the ranks of living recipients to 65. I noted that the word “hero” is grossly overused today, but as it relates to Medal of Honor recipients, it is understated.

When a 1st Lt. in November of 1950, leading his 8th Army Ranger Company on Hill 205 a mere 60 miles from the Chinese border, Ralph Puckett willfully subjected himself to endless enemy machine gun fields of fire. He used himself as a target so his Army Rangers could spot the enemy machine-gunner locations in order to direct artillery fire. Many of those artillery attacks were “danger close,” meaning he was calling fire coordinates that were very close to his own position. He was wounded several times and finally unable to move, but he ordered his men to fall back and not risk retrieving him. Privates Billy G. Walls and David L. Pollock ignored his order, much to Puckett’s objection, and carried him to safety.

Puckett originally received the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions, and while upgrading an award is rare, in recent years that Distinguished Service Cross was reconsidered based on his heroic actions.

You can read more about those actions and his full Medal of Honor citation on the Army’s website — including his longtime service as an “honorary colonel” for the 75th Ranger Regiment. It is worth the read.

Responding in typical humility, Col. Puckett said: “The people who earned that medal are the Rangers who did more than I asked. I think it’s important for them. They’re the ones who did the job; they did the fighting and suffered.”"

I'm glad he is getting the recognition he deserves.

We need to remember that there are scores of untold stories and unrecognized heroes because they and any witnesses did not survive the fight.

He spoke at the Ranger School graduation back in 94 or 95 when the students got killed in Florida. I had gone to see my buddy graduate, (RIP Ranger Duesbery). Then when my nephew graduated a few years ago Col Puckett was signing copies of his book at Ranger Joes. I bought one and had him sign it for my 1SG at the time. He was (is) a 1-75 Grenada guy. Guys a warrior for sure.

Back
Top Bottom