• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long gun storage

Alright now I've found my way around this forum pretty well since I joined in October.. And my license is probably sitting on a desk at my local pd. And should receive the call this week. But that's another story..but the reason behind this post I need help... I am wondering if I can store a long gun in a locked hard or soft case in my closet. I do not have children. and I already have a small safe that would fit a few hand guns. So I really don't want to spend the money on a fullsize safe YET. any input would be much appreciated

Last edited:
What state are you in? If it's MA, I'd say the soft case is a no-go but the locked hard case is okay.

Under MGL 140/131L and related case law, the locked container must deter "all but the most persistent from gaining access." Which is why I think a soft case is a no-go.

Locked soft cases are fine "legally" but history has shown that you would probably lose a civil case if someone gets a hold of it. If you don't intend on keeping it loaded/using it for home defense, your better off just throwing a trigger/cable lock on it.

Last edited:
Alright now I've found my way around this forum pretty well since I joined in October.. And my license is probably sitting on a desk at my local pd. And should receive the call this week. But that's another story..but the reason behind this post I need help... I am wondering if I can store a long gun in a locked hard or soft case in my closet. I do not have children. and I already have a small safe that would fit a few hand guns. So I really don't want to spend the money on a fullsize safe YET. any input would be much appreciated

Where did you take your safety class?

Well thanks for the responses. I went over my notes from my safety class and answered all my questions. I guess when all else fails the answers are pretty close to home. Like In a packet on my night stand

I store mine in a hard case with padlocks on it. Its really only large enough for two ar rifles. If you are planning on several, then a sand up safe is your best bet.

I wouldn't recommend either hard or soft case for long term storage. Kinda promotes rust. Legally, just a trigger or cable lock is required. That doesn't mean a lot in MA. An inexpensive stack-on cabinet would be a better choice at a minimum.

Well, I'm just starting out in this world of firearms. So I only really plan on maybe 2 long guns until I buy a house. And I got a safe good enough for hand guns at the moment

Well, I'm just starting out in this world of firearms. So I only really plan on maybe 2 long guns until I buy a house. And I got a safe good enough for hand guns at the moment

Then as suggested, just spring for a small stack-on gun cabinet, or a small rifle safe such as a 10 gun model. The smaller safes/cabinets are light enough for a single person to move by themselves, though, so do yourself a favor and bolt it to the wall/floor from the inside. Once you move, or your needs change, you can just get a larger safe and use the smaller one as an ammo cabinet, or for firearm related accessories.

Then as suggested, just spring for a small stack-on gun cabinet, or a small rifle safe such as a 10 gun model. The smaller safes/cabinets are light enough for a single person to move by themselves, though, so do yourself a favor and bolt it to the wall/floor from the inside. Once you move, or your needs change, you can just get a larger safe and use the smaller one as an ammo cabinet, or for firearm related accessories.

This. From a personal security stantpoint--meaning for my own purposes--I'd spring for an actual safe. The Stack-on cabinets are nice if you simply want to satisfy the law, but really don't do much in for you in the way of theft prevention. A cat's paw or crowbar will make light work of one. Overstock.com has both, and they don't charge huge amounts for shipping.

This. From a personal security stantpoint--meaning for my own purposes--I'd spring for an actual safe. The Stack-on cabinets are nice if you simply want to satisfy the law, but really don't do much in for you in the way of theft prevention. A cat's paw or crowbar will make light work of one. Overstock.com has both, and they don't charge huge amounts for shipping.

I agree, but he may not want to spend the money on an actual safe, which is why I mentioned it. Personally, I ended up going with a 10 gun real safe because I didn't have the budget for a huge one, and I felt as you do about the gun cabinets. I bolted my safe in place very well so that it would have to be cut apart in place, and not carried away. As recommended to the op, I plan to convert it to ammo storage once I can swing a large safe.

So, wouldn't such a display be ok in MA if trigger locks/cable locks were employed? This is a serious question, not trying to bust balls.[wink]

Again, legally speaking... Yes. It would.

However... as OfficerObie and fbirdquik alluded, there have been cases here in MA where people have been found liable if the guns were stolen. There was one a year or two ago with a guy who's guns were secured with a poorly fitting hasp, IIRC, and a prohibited person living in his household. I wonder if something like that rack but with locking hooks would be a better idea (because of the laws we are forced to live under). You can get large quantities of keyed-alike padlocks so you can put one on each...

Good grief. I just looked at what I typed. This state's laws are sick. We've got to get some traction on gun law reform. [rolleyes]

Again, legally speaking... Yes. It would.

However... as OfficerObie and fbirdquik alluded, there have been cases here in MA where people have been found liable if the guns were stolen. There was one a year or two ago with a guy who's guns were secured with a poorly fitting hasp, IIRC, and a prohibited person living in his household. I wonder if something like that rack but with locking hooks would be a better idea (because of the laws we are forced to live under). You can get large quantities of keyed-alike padlocks so you can put one on each...

Good grief. I just looked at what I typed. This state's laws are sick. We've got to get some traction on gun law reform. [rolleyes]

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Not technically illegal, but still not a great idea from a liability standpoint. I would only display them on a wall like that if I was fortunate enough to have a "safe room" in my house, so that they could easily be accessed (by me) like a regular safe, but not able to be grabbed by a random break in, children, or other "unauthorized people". This is not a MA thing either, I would do it just for my own security reasons, not because the state tells me that I have to (which is complete b.s.).

I would only display them on a wall like that if I was fortunate enough to have a "safe room" in my house, so that they could easily be accessed (by me) like a regular safe, but not able to be grabbed by a random break in, children, or other "unauthorized people". This is not a MA thing either, I would do it just for my own security reasons, not because the state tells me that I have to (which is complete b.s.).

Heh. When I went up and visited a NESer in VT for the weekend, the walls of his guest room, where his 14 year old grandson was sleeping, was LINED with rifles leaned up against them. Mostly mil-surps. Must have been about 40 of them.

Trust me... this is a symptom of this sick state to blame the gun owner rather than the criminal who may steal the guns.

Back
Top Bottom