• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

long gun shipped to NH ffl and then to MA ffl?

headednorth

NES Member
If a seller has a policy of not shipping to MA at all or something like not shipping semi auto long guns to MA, would they typically ship to an ffl in another state? Do you have to be a resident of the state where its being shipped?

For instance, if a retailer has a policy of no semi-auto rifles to MA, can I request them to ship to a dealer in NH and then have NH dealer ship to a MA dealer to do the transfer to me? Is this a common thing? I guess I'd be paying two transfer fees and two shipping fees, (probably adding a bit over $100 to the cost of the rifle I would guess) but if someone wanted it bad enough is this doable?

If its compliant to begin with Im pretty sure I could just pick it up at the NH dealer and take it home without involving a MA dealer. Or I could have it made compliant in NH I guess. Do NH dealers typically even deal with MA customers under these circumstances?

Only handguns would need to go to a MA FFL for you. You can buy a rifle/long gun in NH directly.
Thought there was something about a long gun needing to be legal in the buyers home state. So for example if the rifle has a flash hider and a collapsible stock, I didnt think they could legally transfer it to me, but they could ship it to a MA ffl and he could make it compliant and then transfer it. Or like I said the NH guy could make it compliant and save me a shipping and transfer fee. Just wasnt sure if its really done that way very often.

Receiving dealer has to make it compliant in your home state before you take possession of it. You could take possession in NH for a long gun if the NH dealer modifies it to be MA compliant first. Then file an EFA-10 once you've brought it into MA.

Receiving dealer has to make it compliant in your home state before you take possession of it. You could take possession in NH for a long gun if the NH dealer modifies it to be MA compliant first. Then file an EFA-10 once you've brought it into MA.

Good luck finding an FFL anywhere in southern New Hampshire that will accommodate that request.

Most are taking legal advice from 4 Seasons.

Why not just buy the rifle from a NH dealer if they make the req'd mods? Jack.
Yeah I figured the NH dealer could pin a muzzle device just as well. At that point having NH ship to MA would be an unnecessary step.

Mostly I was just sort of casually browsing online and would come across people who wont ship to MA and figured if I can buy a long gun from another state I could have it shipped to a dealer in another state but wasnt sure if people would ship to a state other than the one youre a resident in. I suppose its more of a business decision than a legal thing.

Seemed like a legal way of working around the "no MA ship policies" but cant recall hearing of anyone from MA having something shipped to another state. Shippers ask for an FFL, they dont ask for an FFL in your state so I guess a dealer is a dealer. Anyway, was just curious.

Back
Top Bottom