• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long-Gone Gun Shops of New England

Some place in the top right side of Massachusetts, but not on the coast or that close to it. I think the owner's name was Dan. Was popular before 4 Seasons became "a thing".

I still miss Minuteman Armory in Templeton. They had a really nice crew and I loved going to the grand opening day and picking myself up a couple of handguns. I miss those guys.
Whatever happened to them? I bought a few toys from them. They were good guy’s

I bought my first rifle at Service Merchandise in Saugus probably around 1987ish it was where the square one mall is now. Marlin 60 .22lr with a scope. About 6 months after that I bought my first Mossberg. You would get it at the pick up counter. Walk out to the parking lot, toss it in your car and drive home. Nobody gave a crap back then.

Whatever happened to them? I bought a few toys from them. They were good guy’s

They're gone. They moved to a new location just down the street from the original store, and then Morgan sold the company and a few months later it was gone :(. I liked going there, they were great.

I still miss Minuteman Armory in Templeton. They had a really nice crew and I loved going to the grand opening day and picking myself up a couple of handguns. I miss those guys

@Eric H
They're gone. They moved to a new location just down the street from the original store, and then Morgan sold the company and a few months later it was gone :(. I liked going there, they were great.

After a couple of years, the shop moved about 100 yards down the street to a better location. The original owner sold the business just under 2 years later to a local gentleman who was also involved with the shop since it opened.

About a year and a half after he bought the shop, the coronavirus pandemic hit, he decided it was a convenient time to close the shop as he no longer wanted to run a retail establishment.

Very much quite the shame. I miss the shop big time.

Disclosure: I worked part time there for several years.

Last edited:
It's probably been mentioned already but Ames, The Fair department stores and Spags sold guns. Although if I remember correctly at Ames and Spags it was only long guns. Also Sparky's gun shop in Webster.

Back in the mid to late 70s, Ivanhoe's in Watertown was my go-to gun shop. I bought my first revolver there, a S&W Model 10, BNIB for $95 bucks plus tax. Those were the good old days.

Back in the mid to late 70s, Ivanhoe's in Watertown was my go-to gun shop. I bought my first revolver there, a S&W Model 10, BNIB for $95 bucks plus tax. Those were the good old days. (
They sure were. 70 years ago, when I was 15, I bought (via my dad's FFL) my Colt Woodsman there for $70. Gave it to Little Jack on his 8th b'day. If the world holds together and if Jack has a son sometime , I know what his b'day gift will be some day. Jack.

It's probably been mentioned already but Ames, The Fair department stores and Spags sold guns. Although if I remember correctly at Ames and Spags it was only long guns. Also Sparky's gun shop in Webster.
Oh yeah, Sparky's. I went in there, and felt like a Martian. People did not seem to want "an outsider" in their little club.

I worked at Spag's in the early 90's. They sold ammo in the front along with nails and hardware a long time ago. They sold it in the sports shoppe when I was there. I NEVER remember them selling guns. I remember Prime Value Mart in Worcester, over near Union Place, before the Centrum. Of course, in the old days, there were a lot of people who were gun dealers out of their house.

Oh yeah, Sparky's. I went in there, and felt like a Martian. People did not seem to want "an outsider" in their little club.

I worked at Spag's in the early 90's. They sold ammo in the front along with nails and hardware a long time ago. They sold it in the sports shoppe when I was there. I NEVER remember them selling guns. I remember Prime Value Mart in Worcester, over near Union Place, before the Centrum. Of course, in the old days, there were a lot of people who were gun dealers out of their house.
Spags was before the 90's selling guns. Yes at Sparky's he tended to have his group of people that hung around the shop. He was alright with me but not everyone from what I've heard. I don't remember Prime Value Mart selling guns but I do remember they sold good camera equipment. The Gun Room in Shrewsbury near Spags was there for many years but I don't remember anyone with real positive comments about them. I went in there a few times and got attitude. Yes, they were able to be FFL's out of their houses back then. I bought my first 9mm from an FFL out of his house.

The Gun Room, Shrewsbury - deserves and may actually have it’s own thread....
It has, but the Gun Room had 3 locations and 2 owners. First location was ~1 block before Spags (going Westbound) on the same side of the street. There was a huge bear in the window there. Later it moved across the street to that little strip mall. Peter Dowd owned it at both locations and it was pretty decent. I bought my first Ruger 10/22 there in the 1980s. Later Peter sold the location/name to John with the big mustache and had a 10 year non-compete clause.

After the 10 yrs was up, Peter opened in Northboro near Wal-Mart.

Fatty Callahan's Downtown Marlboro

Really? His name is Richie. Very nice guy, very knowledgeable, very fair on pricing. He doesn't deserve your disrespect. Richie's shop is one of the few things I miss about Marxachusetts. I did hear that he closed up shop several months ago, but he was never in the best of health.

Edit - I both purchased guns from Richie, and I'd stop in and shoot the bull with him on a frequent basis. I also learned a LOT from him.

Last edited:
Larues gun shop, I believe which was on US highway1 bypass Portsmouth, NH. It was a great shop in the 90s.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been mentioned. but Zero Hour in Easton was a pretty cool shop.
What was the little shop in Brockton, right near the fair grounds? It was run by a retired cop. He had a trash can of old holsters that I couldn't help but rummage through. It was like the $3 movie bin at WalMart

I'm sure it's been mentioned. but Zero Hour in Easton was a pretty cool shop.
What was the little shop in Brockton, right near the fair grounds? It was run by a retired cop. He had a trash can of old holsters that I couldn't help but rummage through. It was like the $3 movie bin at WalMart

It was Fairgrounds Trader. Spent a lot of time there back in the 80's

I bought my first rifle and handgun from Glen's Gun shop on Main Street in Everett in 1978 and 1982. Sumner Green was a good guy and back then there was a crazy amount of used stock for decent money. I bought a 10-22 from Service Merchandise in Saugus, strapped the box to my luggage rack on the back of the bike and cruised home, then did the same for my 870.

Back
Top Bottom