Long-Gone Gun Shops of New England

I used to go to one in Lakeville next to Fred the barber's shop. Owner never there and the kid working always gave me great deals and box of ammo with purchase.

I forgot about Al Borsini, he worked with my dad at GE in Lynn. I still have one of the sweatshirts that he made that he used a marker and letter stencil to print.

On the North Shore it was Coleman's before MVP Sports.....
I remember that store. (It is Walgreens today)
I bought my first BB gun at Kmart in Danvers on Endicott st.(Market Basket today). They had a gun dept then.
Also bought some guns at Sports Authority ,Danvers Liberty Tree Mall( Sky Zone Trampouline Park today)

Is he the guy that was on mystic ave next to dragon villa? A bit before my time but have heard of an ffl there
He was off the Fellsway on Rt 60? Long time ago when I was living in Medford. He had a lot of old rifles and buckets of mixed ammo. You would dig thru the stuff and take it to the counter where he sat and never moved. Big heavy guy. You had to bring your own bag or stuff your pockets. No prices on anything, He would look at what you had and give you the cost. Cash only. Jack.

Not sure if I or anyone else already mentioned "The Outdoorsman", and then "Neverfail" in West Boylston. I miss those guys.

I apologize for reviving an old thread but a members thread reminded me of something from a few hundred "moons" ago.... Is Perry Whites gun shop in S. NH. still around in any way , shape or form ?

I apologize for reviving an old thread but a members thread reminded me of something from a few hundred "moons" ago.... Is Perry Whites gun shop in S. NH. still around in any way , shape or form ?
Long gone , that’s a blast from the past ! Just like Aubrey Wornhams in Townsend,Ma.

Not sure if I or anyone else already mentioned "The Outdoorsman", and then "Neverfail" in West Boylston. I miss those guys.
My dad was very good friends with Warren who owned The Outdoorsman, very nice guy, wish the shop was around. I noticed his display cases ended up at Wayne's though, they were very specific because my dad refinished the shelves with special materials.

Last edited:
These days people would turn about 27 different shades of purple if you tried to open a gun shop anywhere near a school.
Worse yet, I would hop the fence at lunch time go over and buy a bag of wads and three pounds of Red Dot and bring back and put it in my locker. Then took it home after school. Yes those were the days.

Bill Croteau of Bill’s gun Shop in North Dartmouth, Ma passed away this month at 82. Bill was an avid trapshooter and his shop catered to Black Powder Shooters. He closed the shop last summer. Spent some evenings in his barn where his shop was. Warming myself over his Humphrey Gas heater.

Long gone , that’s a blast from the past ! Just like Aubrey Wornhams in Townsend,Ma.

I used to got to Perry White's all the time, I lived in Winchendon and it was in Rindge. Bought a bunch of guns there as a teenager, I would put them on layaway and then make payments with lawn mowing money. I would make my father take me almost weekly no matter what the weather was, I even made him take me up in a blizzard one night after supper (I don't think he was too happy about it but I just had to go that night, cannot remember why now). My dream was to buy the place.

I used to got to Perry White's all the time, I lived in Winchendon and it was in Rindge. Bought a bunch of guns there as a teenager, I would put them on layaway and then make payments with lawn mowing money. I would make my father take me almost weekly no matter what the weather was, I even made him take me up in a blizzard one night after supper (I don't think he was too happy about it but I just had to go that night, cannot remember why now). My dream was to buy the place.

My Father and Uncle bought a pair of consecutive serial numbered S&W Model 36's from Perry White's back in the 70's, still have them in the family. Absolutely love shooting them.

Anyone recall the Nelmar Gun Shop in Spencer.
Nice old retired couple ran the place from the cellar of their house.
I think that they had to close when Ma banned home based un shops.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom