Long-Gone Gun Shops of New England

I know the area very well, I grew up in N. Billerica and Lived in N. Chelmsford from 1978 until 2005. You saw me checking that pond on a regular basis.
Not as good as Mike does. LOL.
Where you involved with the excavation contractor who removed a beaver dam on Keyes Rd that resulted in washing out a culvert at Keyes and Gould?

Wanna Bet!! I used to take the NRO cruiser places that a four wheeler would not go and showed Mike some places. He and I worked together quite a bit.
We did a lot of stomping around the back trails of the pits at Massapog behind Haystack
Never had the pleasure of running into you. LOL.

I believe the incident with the beaver dam happen after I left the area. I bid out to the East side of the Quabbin Res in 2005 and retired Jan 30, 2010. As I had moved to SW New Hampshire and was getting the NH property ready for retirement.

NH edition : NH Ordnance Bridgewarer, Martels Sporting Goods Laconia, Paugus Bay Sporting Goods, Opeeche Trading Post Laconia, EA Serles & Sons Meredith , Waldrons Bait Shop Meredith, Gardner’s Guns Laconia, Laconia Hardware when it was in Main Street Laconia. Belmont Hardware, Main Street. There was many more when I was growing up- The memories are endless. With all of the gun stores up there, and the Tilton, Franklin area too, nothing compared to Riley’s in Hooksett. First time there was when I was five or six, and was in awe looking at Dick Riley’s selection. It was like all the others rolled into one.

Private Arms in Dracut. I took my LTC class there and bought my first few handguns from him. Nice guy, and always gave me good advice when needed. Sometimes I would just go in and shoot the shit with him. Going back about 25 years. Man how time has passed.

Growing up in Randolph there was a Class 3 shop located in the Square. When they closed it became a shoe store.

In North Randolph at the corner of Rte. 28 & Pond St. back in the early 1980s there was a typewriter repair shop. He had an FFL and I recall seeing some guns at the back of the store.

Does anybody remember the Monson downrange? Great place in a basement On main st had a bunch of rental guns and guns for sale spent many rainy Sunday afternoons there with my dad shooting

Last edited:
Is Sparky's closed??? I thought for some reason someone took it over. I haven't been there in 15 years or more.

Marble Hardware in Wareham center. I never bought a gun here, but bought plenty of ammo.
Cline's Gun Room in Canton.
Ortin's Sporting Goods in Norwood.
My father bought me my first 22 at Sears, Roebuck in Norwood.

Bought my first gun from Cline's in 1975. Remington 870, and I still have it!

Did anybody else go to the shop inside the Meineke on Broadway in Malden? Stevie was a good guy. Last I heard he went online only. Also Tadco in Burlington
Yes, I was at the Malden shop once, quite impressive once you were inside. He told me at that time he was going to drop the retail.

I also went to Tadco a number of times and always chatted with him and his girlfriend at the gun shows where I originally met them. Val carried openly in a shoulder holster at the shows (this was before Carole banned loaded guns at the shows). They married a number of years ago and are on FB but working in different businesses now.

Does anybody remember the Monson downrange? Great place in a basement On main st had a bunch of rental guns and guns for sale spent many rainy Sunday afternoons there with my dad shooting

Building was part of the former Monson Academy. Got destroyed in the 2011 tornado and is now a fenced off cellar hole.

Back
Top Bottom