• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long-Gone Gun Shops of New England

I didn't realize that Herman's was a big enough chain to be up here, too... had them in Jersey.

My first 10/22 came from a Service Merchandise - did they have stores up here too?
Yep. Herman’s at Shoppers World on Rte 9 Framingham. Service Merchandise on Speen in Natick.

Oh yeah, Sparky's. I went in there, and felt like a Martian. People did not seem to want "an outsider" in their little club.

I worked at Spag's in the early 90's. They sold ammo in the front along with nails and hardware a long time ago. They sold it in the sports shoppe when I was there. I NEVER remember them selling guns. I remember Prime Value Mart in Worcester, over near Union Place, before the Centrum. Of course, in the old days, there were a lot of people who were gun dealers out of their house.

Yeah. Sparky's was a bit odd. He did have his cadre. Just like Old Man Costa in Raynham. Same thing, different part of the state.

I remember being in Sparky's just after 1998 hit. I think he had 5 handguns in the entire store. All nasty Smith semi-autos. I couldn't figure out how he stayed in business at that time.

He had some class-3 stuff as well. Not for sale (I assume). But that reloading bench was to reload for 9mm and 45 for full-auto. (Possibly the only guy I've ever heard of reloading 9mm with lead. LEAD! Back when you could get 1,000 FMJ 115gr for $30 shipped.)

Still miss Holliston Firearms. Mark was a pretty good guy and it was always fun to walk in and see what new consignments he had in the case.

Went to Sparky's once and was ignored the whole time as he had a group of friends there that were all sitting around and shooting the shite. Just walked out never to return.

I liked Sparky's. He had legal ways (and willing to use them for customers) around most of the BS regs in MA. Yep, he had a lot of M16s. He purchased a bunch for $800 each be the GCA (at least that's what he told me) for his retirement income. To bad he passed away before he could retire. Yes, he had a regualr crew of buddies that hung out there. He was gruff but he seemed to know his stuff. I spent lots of hours wandering the store. He always had interesting stuff. I liked that he wasn't in your face. Answered when asked.

Still there, but an Archery shop, and indoor archery range. No gunz.
Yes that’s why I said I remember Big Al’s “Gun Shop” lol I knew the owner pretty well, I wished I grabbed some the guns off the wall back in the day but was too young, I think around 1986 was the last time I was in there and I was 16

Bill and Teds gun shop in Burlington MA in the 70s next to the Butchers Pride butcher shop. Remember going with my father. Great times. Also was amazed at that butcher shop had a butcher there that had only one arm and had a claw hook prosthetic arm cutting meat perfectly. Those were the good days.
Also Nimrods gun shop in Acton MA was a cool shop.

Bill and Teds gun shop in Burlington MA in the 70s next to the Butchers Pride butcher shop. Remember going with my father. Great times. Also was amazed at that butcher shop had a butcher there that had only one arm and had a claw hook prosthetic arm cutting meat perfectly. Those were the good days.
Also Nimrods gun shop in Acton MA was a cool shop.

Did Bill and Ted go on an Excellent Adventure in approximately 1989?

Living not far from there, I never EVER went to Zero Hour. Don't know why. Finally decided to go. "Sorry, closed for renovations." which became "sorry, just plain closed."

I bought a Sheridan 20 caliber pellet rifle at Jordan Marsh in Framingham in 1967.

I also bought wholesale from Lew Horton when I had my at home FFL from 1977 to 1980.

All of the box stores sold guns and ammo in the 1960's through the 1990's.

Just found this among my father's stuff that I had moved into the house 15 years ago, and now I'm moving out. Holds View attachment 546542View attachment 546543100 22 long rifle
Kirkwood Bros was probably the most famous gun shop in Boston's history.
3441129087_d3b491db7e_o-jpg.323271

What was that one place in Cambridge?
Roach?
Roach's Sporting Goods, in Porter Sq, yes.

The place I bought my very first Evil Black Rifle many, many years ago was the Bullseye Gun Shop in Waterbury, Connecticut.

SCOldFriend.jpg

There's a head shop or something in there now.

Did he shutter his reloading operation? He had some serious reloading equipment in the back.
I would be shocked if any of that is still there, people told me he has shrunken the place twice in the past 10 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom