• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long-Gone Gun Shops of New England

Bumping this thread. I bought a copy of Townsend Whelen's "Why Not Load Your Own!" In Appendix III, he listed handloading component distributors available in 1949. One of them was:

"Mitchell's Gun Shop, Hanover, New Hampshire. Custom handloading. Special loads for foreign rifles, case forming service, components."

Did that shop evolve into New England Custom Gun? NECG specializes in German and high end foreign hunting rifles and ammo for such guns.

My dad was very good friends with Warren who owned The Outdoorsman, very nice guy, wish the shop was around. I noticed his display cases ended up at Wayne's though, they were very specific because my dad refinished the shelves with special materials.
You mean Werner?

This is a good list of shops to quote as to "oh I sold that gun to. . . . " if the police ever wonder why you don't own a gun anymore.

"After 3 months of looking, the ATF found the bound book and didn't see the gun in there."

"Maybe he sold it off book. How about you ask him."

"He's passed."

"Oh well. . . . "

ROFL!!! I wonder if Mr. Costa is still around. I know old man Carr passed.

Dwyers Sportland on Water Street in Milford MA.

Bought my first gun there in 1972, a Remington Nylon 66 .22 caliber rifle.

Dwyers is long gone, but I still have the gun.......:)

Ivanhoe in Watertown (MA) square. Colman's in Canton and Quincy.

My Dad used to buy all his ammo at Ivanhoe. I bought my first shotgun and first pistol at Colman's in Woburn. I used to buy all my ammo there in the early 80s until I moved to Collector's in Stoneham at the old location when Jim still still owned it. I remember when he would have the once a year big sale and the damn line was down the street.

I don't know why I thaught of this, but I was driving through my old hometown the other day, remembering my childhood. Does anyone remember the hunting section of "MVP Sports" in Woburn, by 4-corners? I remember as a kid going in there and oohing and aaahing over the guns. I remember the guy who worked there used to watch us like hawks. if I remember, it went from "MVP Sports", to "Decalthlon" to "bye bye!"

So, what are your memories of gun shops of long ago?
I bought several guns there in their auctions

Ivanhoe in Watertown (MA) square. Colman's in Canton and Quincy.

Were they the same people as Ivanhoe Warehouse Outlet in Billerica? I should have bought every single one of the brand new 20 round steel Hungarian AK mags they had for $6.00@ back in the day.

These days people would turn about 27 different shades of purple if you tried to open a gun shop anywhere near a school.

There used to be a gunshow IN the White River Jct., VT high school! 👍

Al's Gun Room years ago in Rochester MA.

The original Middleborough gun shop back when it was just a white contractor style trailer.

Fatty Callahan's Downtown Marlboro

A few that come to mind.

Bought my first gun at Lew Hortons in Framingham way before they started selling canoes and stuff. I had grown up in Cambridge and lived on the same street that the people who owned Roaches. I remember the old guys and Billy Callahan who took over. Bought a couple of things there.
Then there was K&R in Hudson, spent a lot there. It was like the old country store; go in, buy something, sit down with Paul and a couple of other guys, shoot the breeze. If someone got up to leave, somebody would come in and take that chair. Great place. My wife bought me a 1911 project gun that Paul had put aside for here.

Were they the same people as Ivanhoe Warehouse Outlet in Billerica? I should have bought every single one of the brand new 20 round steel Hungarian AK mags they had for $6.00@ back in the day.
Yes, that is where they moved after the Watertown location closed. I went to Billerica once. They still operate their wholesale division, Interstate arms.

Might have missed it. But there was a gun shop in franklin, late 80’s. It was on 140 just after the jeep dealership going south and was upstairs in a tiny group of business.

cant remember the name.

If you purchased a gun at ZERO HOUR on the Brockton/Easton line....

those were the days.
Bought an AR from them the day Sandy Hook happened. I was picking my daughter up at Logan and was watching the reports come in.
I dropped her off at home, went to the bank, and went to Zero Hour.
I actually bought a few things there before they sold to the last owner.

Bought an AR from them the day Sandy Hook happened. I was picking my daughter up at Logan and was watching the reports come in.
I dropped her off at home, went to the bank, and went to Zero Hour.
I actually bought a few things there before they sold to the last owner.
I was there that day too.

I was holding two AR lowers in my hands. Line around the shop. I paid $100/lower, by the time I left they were $300/lower. Guys were just buying everything. Total anarchy.

Who remembers Tight Lines in West Bridgewater? They were a great shop and sold hunting, fishing, camping gear as well.
Then they moved into the new shops across the street from the PD. Three idiots robbed them and walked out to find the local PD, guns drawn, and proceeded to get into a gun fight, 300 yards from, and in direct line of fire of the High School.

Back
Top Bottom