Long box arrived; Now need tools

Ok, so I am incredibly excited about my first AR build, but I forgot a few key pieces to the puzzle.
I have a lower parts kits, complete upper and stripped lower. I know that I could order an armorer's kit from MidwayUSA or Brownells, et al. So that I don't kill my buzz, where can I get what I need today to put it all together?
Doh! I forgot a stock (I wanted to get a Sully stock, but can't have that today). Help an implusive sister out!

Good luck with your build. I've never done one, but I can empathize with having to finish it NOW! I can't tell you how many things I've ruined because I did not wait for the right tools.

I hope someone can help. NOW![smile]

All you really need for the lower is a set of punches, grease, ar15 armorers wrench and a gunsmith hammer (or any other hammer really). Roll pin starter punches and roll pin punches are a must to do it right with minimal risk of damage.... I'm not sure where you would be able to get all of that today, sears or any other hardware store might have the punches... and a well stocked gun shop might have the armorers wrench.

I know when I picked up my lower and upper I HAD to have them built right away. But I ordered my tools a week ahead of time to make sure I had them. Waiting is hard, but don't rush it and damage anything!

Good luck finding the tools you need!

P.S. Here is a list of tools and a guide:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Last edited:
I have no special tools. A pillowcase, hammer, an old punch and a pair of pliers. It's a real easy job. Easier than any Christmas morning.

I also used no special tools. If you go with a A2 stock you dont need the special wrench. If you go with anything else you would need one. As far as putting the lower together i used a small hammered, wrapped the hammer head with a couple of pieces of masking tap, razor blade for holding the detent springs in place for the take down pins, and i used a door hing pin and a Allen Head Wrench for punches. WD40 came in a little handy too.

I used Vise Grip pliers instead of roll pin punches. This thread explains how. I found it required one less "hand". Starter punches probably would have made it easier to do with punches.

Another "No Special Tools Vote"
I used a soft face mallet, a pair of vice grips with electrical tape on the jaws, a screwdriver, and a punch I already had. ARs go together like butter, get a good set of instructions (AR15.com has a good set) and take your time. Nothing else is really required.

Thank you all for the info and helpful hints. My rational self has taken over and i will become fully prepared before undertaking the task. You all have said that no special tools are required, but I will have to make a trip somewhere (like Home Depot, Sears) this weekend to get some electrical tape, small hammer and roll pin punches ( I don't have these laying around). I will get a vise and order the multi-tool and action block, etc. to be equipped for putting together an upper.

That leads me to my next question. Why are there no thorough instructions (that I could find anywhere online) for building a complete upper receiver? ar15.com and other sources seem to only have exhaustive guides on lower builds. Am I missing something?

Stay tuned for pics hopefully by the end of next week or as soon as I get all the small stuff that I need.

If you look around enough you will find all you need. AR 15 .com has good ones. There was an excellent one posted here at one point. I read and watched several before I started but it does help to have your parts in front of you while you are reading. I have a punch set you could borrow, live SW of worc.about 25 min. Be patient and have fun.

Thank you all for the info and helpful hints. My rational self has taken over and i will become fully prepared before undertaking the task. You all have said that no special tools are required, but I will have to make a trip somewhere (like Home Depot, Sears) this weekend to get some electrical tape, small hammer and roll pin punches ( I don't have these laying around). I will get a vise and order the multi-tool and action block, etc. to be equipped for putting together an upper.

That leads me to my next question. Why are there no thorough instructions (that I could find anywhere online) for building a complete upper receiver? ar15.com and other sources seem to only have exhaustive guides on lower builds. Am I missing something?

Stay tuned for pics hopefully by the end of next week or as soon as I get all the small stuff that I need.

You don't absolutely NEED special tools but you will be much better off with them. Get what you need from Brownells. I have built 3 ARs without an "Armorers Wrench"; I don't even know what it is!

Seeing that I'm a tool junkie, I own just about every AR tool available. Out of all of them I would say that there are only 3 that I would not want to do the job without (I didn't say couldn't, just wouldn't want to)

First is the receiver block. You really need a stable platform to work off of. One little shift, while you're driving in a pin can easily turn into a nasty scar on your brand new receiver. (I like the flipper from DPMS because it will hold both uppers or lowers, instead of needing two different tools)

2nd is the pivot pin detent spring tool (a 1/4 clevis pin from a hardware store will do the job nicely if you don't want to spring for the "official" tool)

Lastly, is the punch specifically designed for the BHO roll pin. That one's tough to get at with a regular punch without marring the receiver.

i built my AR with a pair of needle nosed pliers, and a ball peen hammer. though the hammer could have been replaced with any whacking instrument

I used Vise Grip pliers instead of roll pin punches. This thread explains how. I found it required one less "hand". Starter punches probably would have made it easier to do with punches.

+1. kevin9. You just saved me a pile of money on tools for the NES build I was mulling over. Now, I can spend the money on PARTS!

Thank you sooooooooo much!

You can build an AR without special tools. That's how I built my first one. By the time I got to number three, I had accumulated some of the special tools and wouldn't think of building another AR without them.

Back
Top Bottom