• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Locking up ammo?

Thanks.

I'll consider my basement a closet. It has a door that's locked. Not that I'm worried about the chief checking my basement anyway.

Also....being a fire code.....what's the penalty? A nasty letter from the chief that gives you 30 days to comply? I speak from experience on nasty letters from the fire chief.......usually you get a window of time to comply. At least I did when I had to install "linked" smoke alarms in a 4 family house I had years ago. After I bought it and had the inspection the chief told me that being a 4 tenement that battery smoke detectors were not good enough......had to have an electrician install hard wired ones that if one went off they all went off. I had 30 days to comply
You have 4 rental properties in Mass? You poor bastard.

Wait. This isn't a law but a fire code??? So in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that could jam me up is if my house burned down and my insurer felt that I violated the fire code????

I always thought this was the law. Like you had to individually wrap each bullet in aluminum foil before triple-packing it into 3 locked containers to place it into the locked trunk of your car. (I've seen some pretty crazy "you need to lock your guns up this way in your trunk" opinions out there.)

I've been overly paranoid for far too long.

Yes, CMR
My understanding is the police cannot enforce it
Their is no “law” to enforce
Strictly Fire department

When i got my permit my FD chief said just dont store it in “tight strong boxes”
My wife was with me and asked about
Ammo and gun powder dangers in a Fire.
He went on to say the smoke and fumes in a fire they actually enter the building are a bigger threat than ammo and gun powder.

Mine is in original containers
In the ammo cans they came in, hundreds in each can
I would say that’s a “tight strong box”
Seems contradictory , mind you I have NO expertise in fire science or such

I unload my carry gun and place the rounds back in the original container before I lock the ammo in the ammo locker and the gun in the gun safe because that's what's required to remain in compliance with the fire code.

Or, maybe I don't.

Why is the fire code allowed to criminalize people without due process? Unless you monitor internet forums, how would you have any idea you are now in violation. Old homes may not be up to code. Is that a violation?

As I said, “ my understanding”, I didn’t utter any anything as documented fact

You certainly seem to be more educated on the matter than myself
Maybe you could share that knowledge with some documentation & inform the rest of us
So we can all be on the right (?) side of the law
Thanks

You certainly seem to be more educated on the matter than myself
Maybe you could share that knowledge with some documentation & inform the rest of us
So we can all be on the right (?) side of the law
This post links the state's FAQ about CMRs.
Which may not suffice to directly answer all the questions,
but it's a start.

MGL Ch. 22D §4: Board of fire prevention regulations
creates and empowers the Board of Fire Prevention Regulations.

Something has to grant enforcement powers and penalties,
but maybe it's not that (haven't really read it).

So I did read the posts, but am now a bit confused about ammo storage. I have always locked ammo in boxes in my basement. Is there a LAW requiring this or was this just my practice? Sorry but the difference between CMR and laws are not super clear to me........

“Since about half of what you wrote is false,
while the other half could be true,”

Sooooo
Which part is “false” ?

Which could be “true” ?

“Since about half of what you wrote is false,
while the other half could be true,”

Sooooo
Which part is “false” ?

Which could be “true” ?
Even if it were true that...

A: "Police can only enforce 'laws'"
-and-​
B: "CMR 527 is a 'regulation'"​

...it doesn't imply that...

C: "Police can't enforce CMR 527"​

...because...
D: "All 'regulations' are 'laws'".​

Maybe police can't enforce CMR 527,
but it's not because it's a regulation.

Last edited:
Yes, CMR
My understanding is the police cannot enforce it
Their is no “law” to enforce
Strictly Fire department

I'm not sure I would say enforcement is 'strictly' the fire department under the current CMR 527. Perhaps 'usually' would be more accurate.

https://www.mass.gov/regulations/527-CMR-100-massachusetts-comprehensive-fire-safety-code

3.2.2 Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) shall be the Head of the Fire Department or the State Fire Marshal and their designees, as defined in M.G.L. c. 148.

1.6 Enforcement. This Code shall be administered and enforced by the AHJ.

1.7.4 Enforcement Assistance. Police and other enforcement agencies shall have authority to render necessary assistance in the enforcement of this Code when requested to do so by the AHJ.

1.7.5 Delegation of Authority. The AHJ may delegate to other qualified individuals such powers as necessary for the administration and enforcement of this Code as provided in M.G.L. c. 148.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom