• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lockdown Bucket

"Name one thing you're gonna need a rope for."

[rofl]

Charlie Bronson always had rewp.

And for the proper, old school meme for the lockdown bucket. . . .

hqdefault.jpg

"Saw" it on the news (I tend to have the TV muted most of the time with CC on, on a news channel). First thing I thought was it looked like what is typically described as a rape kit, including the duct tape.

I don't have an issue with having the kit in the classroom, although it probably should be locked up, otherwise it will get lost or used badly. I think that most of the contents (hammer/wedge, rope, tape) are to be used for "barricading" the door and breaking out the window (if it won't open) for escape. Worse case, hammer can be used as a weapon. (never bring a hammer to a gun fight). Is it better than nothing? Maybe.

What can they do to help prevent or minimize active shootings in the school? Of course they could allow staff who are qualified to carry. The issue I could see with that is that the amount of staff that would actually carry would probably be nil or low. And if an active shoot situation starts, what do they do? Do they run to the danger, or do they hunker down and protect those that are immediately around them.

Any other thoughts on what they could do?

Depends. (making stuff up here). You could wrap the rope around the doorknob at one end, and furniture or some other heavy or wide object at the other end. If it's a double door with a door jam in the middle you could wrap it around the two door knobs/push bars over the door jam. Or maybe you can't for a specific situation.
Apparently I'm having a problem getting my synapses to fire this morning - I'm going to require a schematic for this operation.

First drill they do, the kids will be trapped because how are they going to get the wedge back out of the door? Or in a real situation and they need to head out quick.

Why not just install a steel bar or two that can go across the door?

And when you smack the expensive piece of pine wedge with the hammer to jam the door, how many whacks do you think you are going to get before the wedge splits or splinters? One, two, at most?

It was nice of BLowe's to donate all of those buckets to the music program so the kids will have more street drums to practice with!

For the total costs involved for a bucket of useless shit, they could have put a heavy duty 3/4 inch dead bolt on the inside of every door in every school in the city.

The idiots who thought up, supported and implemented this insanity will not have a bit of remorse, guilt or culpability when their idea is proven to be an abject failure.

My sister is a teacher and she has three doors to her room. Only one has a lock and it locks from the outside, with a key. After the last big shooting we were talking about security and I said "If they're serious about safety, how about they spend a couple hundred bucks per room to install deadbolts? You could probably have locksmiths in there tomorrow." She didn't see how that would help :(

I'm not even sure that the wedge would hold, depending on the flooring. In any case, if it does hold, maybe a side smack? Like the idea of the steel bar, if done properly.
First drill they do, the kids will be trapped because how are they going to get the wedge back out of the door? Or in a real situation and they need to head out quick.

Why not just install a steel bar or two that can go across the door?

Personally, I'm not saying whether the bucket idea is good or bad (although may be better than doing nothing). Just think that with the brain trust at NES, and in general the type of people on here (environmental awareness, visualizing scenarios, etc...), we can postulate things that they "can" do, maybe at no or minimal cost, maybe have to invest some. May be not even needed, although, unfortunately, I think we haven't seen the last of school active shootings.

After the door is wedged the gunman will just shoot threw the glass, or is the duct tape in question bullet proof?
Jason.

Nothing says "Rich target environment inside!" like a wedge sticking out the bottom of a door.

There are of course a lot of variables. Is the door and jam, wood or metal? Does it open out or in? I'm purely BS speculating, but I don't think the intent of the kit, is that all things will be used in all scenarios. More like a mini tool box of what "could" be used, depending on specific situation. So, what things "can" be done to help mitigate? Do nothing, allow qualified staff to carry, reinforce doors (not just class rooms), either with deadbolts, or some other means, controlled ingress, ????

Look up “enhanced lockdown.” It’s what the bucket is for. It’s part of ALICE.

My sister is a teacher and she has three doors to her room. Only one has a lock and it locks from the outside, with a key. After the last big shooting we were talking about security and I said "If they're serious about safety, how about they spend a couple hundred bucks per room to install deadbolts? You could probably have locksmiths in there tomorrow." She didn't see how that would help :(

I guss she needs someone to draw her a picture?

Seriously...have you ever watched someone who has never used a hammer, use a hammer? My wife has used a hammer many times over the years and she still doesn't get it. They f***ing hold it up at the top of the handle and shove it toward the target, usually missing. f*** the effectiveness of the wedge, and whether it works or not. Those teachers won't even be able to install it. It will be useless. They will miss and bang the wall a couple of times, and smash their fingers a couple of times, and then the shooter will be through the door.

So we can't possibly train teachers to use a gun (because gun), but we can just assume that they can use a hammer and everybody will be fine. Right.

Seriously...have you ever watched someone who has never used a hammer, use a hammer? My wife has used a hammer many times over the years and she still doesn't get it. They f***ing hold it up at the top of the handle and shove it toward the target, usually missing. f*** the effectiveness of the wedge, and whether it works or not. Those teachers won't even be able to install it. It will be useless. They will miss and bang the wall a couple of times, and smash their fingers a couple of times, and then the shooter will be through the door.

So we can't possibly train teachers to use a gun (because gun), but we can just assume that they can use a hammer and everybody will be fine. Right.

The hammer is for breaking windows. I just did the training yesterday, and yes, teachers in ALICE schools do get trained how to use a hammer to break a window.

Back
Top Bottom