• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lockdown at Lincoln-Sudbury High after shell casings found

I blame the 90's.

There was no 5 or even 10 year period... This crap started in the 60's and the cultural shift followed the demographic shift - TV played a big part too in reinforcing/justifying liberal lunacy that otherwise might have been more isolated...

Yeah, but they started making kids wear bicycle helmets in the 90's.

I said it was tempting but I didn't say I was stupid enough to do it. With my luck, there's a webcam somewhere near there. And as folks know, a Subaru with libertarian and right wing stickers on it isn't exactly common... It'd be too easy to find me.

I do, however, get a little mental giggle out of imagining the PSH that would result in them finding that brass.
Throw a rainbow sticker on there

If only we had microstamping technology in place this whole event could have been solved so easily [laugh]

There was no "moment"...just a series of small, practically un-noticed steps.

Think about it - most of the posters on this board that were not rural walked to school. Now, a one-mile walk by elementary students requires adult supervision.

each measure that led us to thsi point was nearly irrelvant, and un-noticed.

Not one of the steps is bad....I think that we can all agree that weapons* have no place in school. But after we all agree, we find out that a "weapon" is defined as anything sharper than a bowling ball, or image thereof. So a Scout knife is equated with a machete, and an Lego toy part is a firearm. Unfortunately, since no one (or not enough someones) piped up, we're where we are. [sad]

The problem is that there's no going back....the majority of the parents woudl rather have a blanket prohibition (as we have now) than have to think ( or let another think).

* I'm one of the people that does not use the "W-word"

Not to beat a dead horse too much, but I suspect that as a nation/society, we started down the wrong path generations ago. Depending on where you were in the country and where in society you fit, the change may have come sooner or more recently.

When I was growing up in the 70s, my friends and I played in rooms with unlocked firearms. We had been told not to touch, and some of us had been to the range and shown what these things could do. That was all we needed so that we never, ever touched them unless it was with adult supervision.

But the over-protection/nanny-ism began before then, and it's alive and well today.

I don't get the whole lock down thing to begin with. If there was an active shooter I would think they would want to get the kids the Eff out of there instead of making them cowering targets.

[thinking][hmmm]

Can someone explain this theory to me?

ETA: Aside from the pure idiocy of this particular situation.

Last edited:
I don't get the whole lock down thing to begin with. If there was an active shooter I would think they would want to get the kids the Eff out of there instead of making them cowering targets.

[thinking][hmmm]

Blitz is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't confuse the PTB with logic

[thinking][hmmm]

I think the theory is that if the students are in the hallways they will be easy targets for a shooter. Somehow, the doors to the classrooms take on mystical bulletproof properties when a school goes into lockdown. Even if the rooms were equipped with blast doors it doesn't make sense. In the schools I taught in, many of the teachers didn't have keys to their classrooms. Several of the doors had broken locks. Add in the fact that in many schools classrooms are interconnected by interior doors to enable people to get out in case fire blocks one particular door. So if a shooter gains access to one room they could easily move onto several others, each holding a teacher and students "following the rules."

No, it doesn't make any sense. School committees, superintendents, and administrators have to do something to show that they're "increasing security" so you get things like lockdown policies. It's a totally false sense of security, but that doesn't matter. It's an easy way to make people feel safer. More importantly, it has a minimal $$ cost, always a consideration.

The only scenario that I can imagine where a lockdown would make sense is if the shooter(s) were outside the building picking off targets. That rarely happens. Most often the shooter(s) are in the building. If you have an active shooter in a school you're most likely going to have casualties. The quickest way to end that is to to shut down the shooter. Not easy to do when the law requires that all the adults be unarmed.

Of course we could put up more gun free zone signs. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom