• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lockable inside-luggage cases for handguns?

drgrant

NES Member
Anyone have a recommendation on this? Last time I used a plastic factory pistol box for air travel but would like to upgrade it to something less flimsy, basically thinking like one of those car storage boxes that will hold two handguns but maybe can be secured to the inside of luggage with one of those wire cords.... guns wouldn't be bigger than G17 at the largest. Also assuming most airlines would let you put two in one box? (only ever tried one before).

-Mike

Anyone have a recommendation on this? Last time I used a plastic factory pistol box for air travel but would like to upgrade it to something less flimsy, basically thinking like one of those car storage boxes that will hold two handguns but maybe can be secured to the inside of luggage with one of those wire cords.... guns wouldn't be bigger than G17 at the largest. Also assuming most airlines would let you put two in one box? (only ever tried one before).

-Mike
I've had more than one handgun in one box (flew Delta) and used a Pelican 1450.

-Mike
I had one of the metal boxes for cars. It comes with a metal cable that is locked inside the case and you can attach to something. I had it attached under my seat in my car.

It is nice and flat but also hard to open. You would need to go at it hard for a while to open it.

I remember I bought it at Amazon several years ago.

I use something similar, although mine is made by Gunvault. It's the Nano. Depending on what type of suitcase you are using, you can run the cable around the inner frame. I always bring both keys on separate rings, in case I lose one.

I have this one. The quality is good and they offer larger models.

I have traveled several times (American) with up to two pistols (Sig P226 and Ruger SR22) in a Pelican 1170 case secured in my soft side luggage.

I used a "safety cable" from Guitar Center (used to keep lights from falling to the floor) to secure the case to the steel frame inside the luggage.

I had to gut the rigid thimble and clip from the end of the cable, but once that is done you can pass the small end through the large end to secure it around the luggage frame (unzip the liner to get to the frame) and then secure the small end to the Pelican case with the non-TSA padlock that keeps the Pelican case closed.

The steel cable can't be easily cut, the cable can't be removed from the luggage without cutting the lock first, the Pelican case can be flipped out of the soft luggage if TSA wants to inspect things.

I put my contact information on the Pelican case (inside and out) and put one or two pieces of packing tape with a folded over tab on the Pelican case. Then when I get the signed card that certifies I said it was unloaded I tape it to the case (the agents won't have tape).

I also bring a spare non-TSA lock in my carry on in case someone decides to cut the non-TSA lock on the Pelican case.

In my experience all of the airlines have tape, sometimes they just have to hunt around for it. SWA always has the tape and cards available, American, especially in Boston seems a bit befuddled every time. BTW, American has changed their cards so that they include less information. I found out the almost hard way with US Scare that it's important to have your cell phone number on the card. With American now, I have a business card taped to the gun case permanently.

I've don't a number of different things to secure the cable when I use a Pelican case.

I've never had TSA cut a case, although in the aforementioned US Scare incident, they came close. That was because the idiots put the card on the inside and I was new to flying with a firearm and missed it. The TSA guys were cool and made fun of the supervisor from the airline who tried to blame me. They told me after he stomped off that he was an a$$hole and that they hated dealing with him. But, I digress.

A non firearm trick I picked up somewhere is to take a picture of your suitcase (the outside) before you go to the airport. That way, if they lose it and they ask if you can describe it, you can show them the picture.

Oh, American now puts a "Return to BSO" tag on the handle. "BSO" is the Baggage Service Office. Suitcases containing firearms are supposed to go there and be claimed. On more than one occasion, the bag has ended up on the regular carousel.

That was because the idiots put the card on the inside and I was new to flying with a firearm and missed it.
Oh, American now puts a "Return to BSO" tag on the handle. "BSO" is the Baggage Service Office. Suitcases containing firearms are supposed to go there and be claimed. On more than one occasion, the bag has ended up on the regular carousel.

I took a round-trip on jetBlue last week. Both times they put the card inside the hard case with the firearm. And both times my bag was on a regular carousel. That was my first time flying with a firearm--I didn't know exactly what to expect.

I've used the security cases from Tractor Supply. They come with a cable that can be looped around the inner struts in the suitcase. If I wanted to be extra secure, I'd drill a hole through the case that let me use a hardened long-shackle padlock instead of the standard pin-tumbler lock and weak~ish latch.

These days I mostly avoid flying, and when I have no choice I fly with carry-on only.

Gunvault is great. I’ve flown with those and I actually keep some in my car, just in case. Check with the airline you’re flying with but it prob won’t matter how many are inside each case.

When that happens, I gently remind them that if it's a gun case inside a suitcase, the tag has to go on the outside of the gun case. If it's a stand alone gun case, like a rifle case, the card goes on the inside. It's easy for them to get confused and I've never had anyone disagree after I pointed it out. If the card is on the inside of the gun case and the TSA can't get in touch with you, they will break open the gun case to see what's inside.

That's if they decide to do a routine search of your suitcase or if it alerts for some reason.

I took a round-trip on jetBlue last week. Both times they put the card inside the hard case with the firearm. And both times my bag was on a regular carousel. That was my first time flying with a firearm--I didn't know exactly what to expect.

I had one of the metal boxes for cars. It comes with a metal cable that is locked inside the case and you can attach to something. I had it attached under my seat in my car.

It is nice and flat but also hard to open. You would need to go at it hard for a while to open it.

I remember I bought it at Amazon several years ago.

I use the same kind of metal box. It satisfies TSA and the airlines. But "hard to open?" Not even close. Most of these boxes use four wafer cam locks, and you don't need real lockpicking skills to rake such a lock open in less than 15 seconds.

HK makes a briefcase...

iu

I use the same kind of metal box. It satisfies TSA and the airlines. But "hard to open?" Not even close. Most of these boxes use four wafer cam locks, and you don't need real lockpicking skills to rake such a lock open in less than 15 seconds.
I didnt know it was that easy.

-Mike
You could fit this in your luggage. Don’t scoff at the Harbor Freight stuff. This case is extremely rugged and waterproof with that twist valve on front. Takes two locks and can be had for around $30-$40 with the coupon.
922E241E-28A4-4412-9D1E-011FCA556250.jpeg 464DF6A4-FC5D-45C4-B615-BEEE4D3B0D21.jpeg BDC22F1E-7D89-4A38-BEC0-2635F037750C.jpeg

I didnt know it was that easy.
Well, then I probably shouldn't tell you this, but the same thing is true of every Master padlock I've ever encountered. These use pin tumbler cores (versus wafers), but only four pins, no security pins, and they rake with ease and utter consistency.

And, in case there are any doubters out there, go to YouTube and search for "Union Safe Co. Portable Gun Safe Picked FAST."

Last edited:
Yes, after watching many videos of the locksmith lawyer I’m convinced not much is really secure except from the honest people.

You mean "The Lock Picking Lawyer." Harry, who is also a shooter, has a series of twenty or thirty videos dealing with various gun locks. And if you really want a chuckle, find his videos on the Santa Cruz locks sold (and widely used, sadly) to secure shotguns in police sector cars.

Last edited:
You mean "The Lock Picking Lawyer." Harry, who is also a shooter, has a series of twenty or thirty videos dealing with various gun locks. And if you really want a chuckle, find his videos on the Santa Fe locks sold (and widely used, sadly) to secure shotguns in police sector cars.
Yes that’s the guy

When that happens, I gently remind them that if it's a gun case inside a suitcase, the tag has to go on the outside of the gun case. If it's a stand alone gun case, like a rifle case, the card goes on the inside.
Solution: put your cased rifle (with the tag on the outside) inside a hardside golf club case.

Well, then I probably shouldn't tell you this, but the same thing is true of every Master padlock I've ever encountered. These use pin tumbler cores (versus wafers), but only four pins, no security pins, and they rake with ease and utter consistency.

And, in case there are any doubters out there, go to YouTube and search for "Union Safe Co. Portable Gun Safe Picked FAST."
Thisnis great to know because I just lost my key to one of those and I was going to cut it. I can practice picking it now.

I've got two snapsafe lockboxes that have the cable you can loop around the frame of the suitcase. The XXL size would probably fit two pistols. I can fit two compacts in the ones I've got, but I can't remember if they're the XL size or the XXL.

I run the cable down the mag well and through the ejection port then through a hole in the hardcase to secure it to the outer luggage. A friend has his luggage liberated at an airport and the luggage was found later with the guns removed.

Back
Top Bottom