Lock N Load AP and Classic calibration sleeve

No, but it's a good idea. I don't think I'd do it the way they guy in the video did though.

The L-N-L progressive does not 'cam over', but the L-N-L classic does, so bringing the handle all the way down to measure the height (like he did) means he wasn't measuring the ram at its highest point.

Also, I wouldn't measure to the bottom-inside of a case like he does. I'd use an RCBS Precision Mic to measure the headspace of a sized rifle case, and make a spacer that would size cases to the same headspace when the die was moved from press-to-press. By doing that, you can take into account all of the clearances of each machine under load.

ETA: I smell a product opportunity. You're a machinist, make up a bunch of spacers that are 0.010" over, then sell them with instructions on how to lap them to fit individual machines.

Last edited:
Maybe few of those out there who have both could measure your own presses to see if it consistently off? I would expect if Hornady has decent QC that .010" would be enough, but you never know. The casting could be so far off that .010 wouldn't be enough. As EC says, hitting the high point of the cam motion is different than just lowering the handle. When I purchase my presses I will check mine as well.

I have both. I can do a quick check sometime in the next couple of days.

The problem is that it's going to be shellholder specific. You could make a spacer that works perfectly for your single stage with an RCBS shellholder, but it will be off with my press and a Redding.

I would have to end up doing checks on every new shell holder to make sure they fall within a reasonable spec. I am sure any tolerance would be unacceptable to match ammo, but then again you would be making adjustments and checking anyway.

Interesting thing to look at. Right now I just need to get started in reloading!!! I have a mill that I can use at a friends house, but not a lathe.

You also could get a Redding Competition shellholder kit and set the spacer up for one in the middle of the range.

Pretty cool. I wonder if the difference between both machines would change depending on the shell plate used? In other words, would you need a different "spacer ring" for every shell plate?

The shell plate on the progressive won't change the height at all. The cases bottom out on the machine. Unlike the shell holders on the single stage.

Back
Top Bottom