• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Locations with Ammo?

I see a lot of these " I can't find "X" caliber ammunition because of the crisis". My question is, Why didn't you have a good supply on hand?

Because they were otherwise unable to purchase large quantities due to extenuating circumstances and once tax returns dropped everything was already gone?
Some folks seem to think that everyone has disposable income to drop on bulk quantities of .80¢/rd. Slugs or whatever. I don’t mean to bitch or single you out, but there are some of us who might live paycheck to paycheck and have recently received tax returns that allow them to only now purchase items that may have otherwise been previously out of reach. Shooting and gun ownership is NOT an inexpensive hobby/lifestyle and we can’t all buy it cheap and stack it deep. So yeah, now I have an extra few hundred dollars and there are no slugs to buy anywhere. Sucks to my ass-mar.

I did see some 1oz Slug Winchester 12ga 2 3/4" 15-round boxes up at the Concord, NH Walmart last night before closing. 2 or 3 boxes...

There has been a big run on 12 gauge especially defensive loads. Even online it sells out quickly.

A couple weeks back someone on Armslist was selling a case of buckshot maybe it’s still there?

There's been a big run on, everything. Stores were getting cleaned out of even birdshot and dove, turkey loads and other
weird shit nobody would use for SD at the beginning. One shop owner told me he had a bunch of various bird loads hanging around in his
house, he brought them all into the shop and they were all gone in a day. People were buying everything they could touch at the beginning of this
crap.

-Mike

TSUSA currently shows 99+ of Federal LEF127RS Hydra Shok slugs in stock at an excellent price. Not 00-Buck but very good defensive 12ga ammo...

Federal Law Enforcement 12 Gauge Ammo 2-3/4" 1oz Hydra-Shok RS

View attachment 347833

Thank you, sincerely. I bought a case of these slugs just now (41 left). After all my bitching, to find a case of full power (not interested in reduced recoil loads) for less than what I was paying at Walmart for Winchester Super-X, was surprising to say the least. I’ll wait 3 weeks for 250 slugs at .70/rd.

De nada...

There seems to be some interesting imagery going in here though. The image you posted shows the correct MPN listed as LEF127RS. The box pictured shows a “low-recoil” mark and velocity of 1300 fps, as does the box pictured in the listing I purchased from. The TSUSA listing advertises 1610 FPS and in the words of Paul Harrell “that’s a lot more”. I also found various other listings of the same round advertised at 1610 FPS. I expect these to be full boot and not low-recoil and will report back in possibly 3 weeks with a “true to advertised” or “false advertising” verdict. If I get 1300FPS rds. I’m going to unfortunately have to take TSUSA to task.

There seems to be some interesting imagery going in here though. The image you posted shows the correct MPN listed as LEF127RS. The box pictured shows a “low-recoil” mark and velocity of 1300 fps, as does the box pictured in the listing I purchased from. The TSUSA listing advertises 1610 FPS and in the words of Paul Harrell “that’s a lot more”. I also found various other listings of the same round advertised at 1610 FPS. I expect these to be full boot and not low-recoil and will report back in possibly 3 weeks with a “true to advertised” or “false advertising” verdict. If I get 1300FPS rds. I’m gling to unfortunately have to take TSUSA to task.
I've fired them same rangeday with the Classic Fed Red slugs (F127RS) and they were literally identical, at least in my summation.
But what do I know, I have no measuring equipment. If you shoot these, I don't think you will consider them 'low recoil'.
Maybe 'Managed recoil' as some have labeled them...

I’m gling to unfortunately have to take TSUSA to task.
You could always knock out an email to Federal (who knows what you'll get from TSUSA. The copy and past a lot)
The manufacturer will know what you've got...

Edit: And like moojpg2 said, these LEF127RS's pack a solid punch...

You could always knock out an email to Federal (who knows what you'll get from TSUSA. The copy and past a lot)
The manufacturer will know what you've got...

Edit: And like moojpg2 said, these LEF127RS's pack a solid punch...

It’s odd, I’ve found multiple listings for the exact same MPN, the LEF127RS are as suspected Law Enforcement, but I’ve seen both 1610 and 1300 listed as muzzle velocity. Don’t get me wrong, a 1300fps and 1600fps slug are both going to lay waste to most organic matter. However, there’s something to be said for truth in advertising (lookin at TSUSA, I have screen shots) and the fact that by 50 yds., the 1600 fps slugs have lost more than 200 fps and the 1300 fps slugs are close to sub-sonic by 100. That’s a considerable difference.

It’s odd, I’ve found multiple listings for the exact same MPN, the LEF127RS are as suspected Law Enforcement, but I’ve seen both 1610 and 1300 listed as muzzle velocity. Don’t get me wrong, a 1300fps and 1600fps slug are both going to lay waste to most organic matter. However, there’s something to be said for truth in advertising (lookin at TSUSA, I have screen shots) and the fact that by 50 yds., the 1600 fps slugs have lost more than 200 fps and the 1300 fps slugs are close to sub-sonic by 100. That’s a considerable difference.
I believe the ones on target sports are full power, if you look up the manufacturers number they are. You could always cancel it and order the federal rifled slugs farther down the page, those are definitely regular full power fudd slugs.

I believe the ones on target sports are full power, if you look up the manufacturers number they are.

That’s what I’m hoping. Unfortunately, looking up the MFN has yielded both 1300 FPS and 1610 FPS listings. At this point, I’m just happy to have some slugs on the way.
I looked at getting in to reloading and was bottoming out at .78 per shell (with primed hulls, single piece slugs and seals, and Hodgson longshot) so I’ll take the factory loads.

Because they were otherwise unable to purchase large quantities due to extenuating circumstances and once tax returns dropped everything was already gone?
Some folks seem to think that everyone has disposable income to drop on bulk quantities of .80¢/rd. Slugs or whatever. I don’t mean to bitch or single you out, but there are some of us who might live paycheck to paycheck and have recently received tax returns that allow them to only now purchase items that may have otherwise been previously out of reach. Shooting and gun ownership is NOT an inexpensive hobby/lifestyle and we can’t all buy it cheap and stack it deep. So yeah, now I have an extra few hundred dollars and there are no slugs to buy anywhere. Sucks to my ass-mar.
I also live paycheck to paycheck but have found a way to stack it. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. When times were good, I went without and bought cases. Sometimes (ok, almost always) my wife thought I was crazy and wasting precious money. She now sees the light.

I also live paycheck to paycheck but have found a way to stack it. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. When times were good, I went without and bought cases. Sometimes (ok, almost always) my wife thought I was crazy and wasting precious money. She now sees the light.
You have a great wife and so do I

I get it. I felt stupid after posting as there’s always someone worse off. I am however a full time student on top of my wife and I renting and living paycheck to paycheck. That’s life. However, as a full time student, my tax return was noticeably larger than usual this year and the implication that I should have put myself in further debt to “stack it deep” is what I took exception to. My federal loan rates are now at 0% and it seems prudent to pay them while I can.

Edit- the first case of ammo I’ve ever purchased was tonight, thanks to Mr. Enbloc. Aside from that I’ve order here and there (not enough to justify $90 for a TSUSA membership) and relied on Walmart, which made everyone getting a good deal on their closeouts all the more painful as I had loan and tuition payments due at the same time of the “super sale”.

Last edited:
I don't generally live check to check but I still try to stock up gradually, what I do is buy odd amounts of ammo with my prime membership. I'll buy 7 boxes, put 5 in my range can and 2 on the shelf. Or buy 3 boxes, shoot one, save two, etc. It's affordable that way.

Maybe every other year, only when prices are low, I'll use my tax return or sell off a few shares of a stock I've made some money on and do a big palletized freight order with 5 or 6 cases each of stuff I shoot a lot like 9, 40, 45, 5.56, x39, etc. I have a place with a dock to ship it to so I save quite a bit that way. Not everyone can do that but if you shoot a lot it really saves a lot. I've also just ordered whole pallets of one caliber and split amongst friends/family but that can be hard to organize sometimes. Trick is to find a place that truly deals only in bulk sales, they will give good deals on pallet quantities because they don't have to do any work to ship it.

I get it. I felt stupid after posting as there’s always someone worse off. I am however a full time student on top of my wife and I renting and living paycheck to paycheck. That’s life. However, as a full time student, my tax return was noticeably larger than usual this year and the implication that I should have put myself in further debt to “stack it deep” is what I took exception to. My federal loan rates are now at 0% and it seems prudent to pay them while I can.
I (we) hear ya brother! I’m
Sure you’ve been scrounging. Keep it up!

Too bad Bernie dropped out, you wouldn’t have to pay any of those loans back!! /sarc

That’s what I’m hoping. Unfortunately, looking up the MFN has yielded both 1300 FPS and 1610 FPS listings. At this point, I’m just happy to have some slugs on the way.
I looked at getting in to reloading and was bottoming out at .78 per shell (with primed hulls, single piece slugs and seals, and Hodgson longshot) so I’ll take the factory loads.
The LEF127RS that I've been getting from TSUSA, don't feel neutered. But that is something that you will have to test for yourself.
And like you said, be happy you have any ammo stronger than birdshot...
~Enbloc

The LEF127RS that I've been getting from TSUSA, don't feel neutered. But that is something that you will have to test for yourself.
And like you said, be happy you have any ammo stronger than birdshot...
~Enbloc

My wife has a crayon obsession, so wax slugs were out of the question. I thought about some old Yankee candle wax, but damn if mixing vanilla, pumpkin, and sea breeze, didn’t seem like a terrible idea.

My wife has a crayon obsession, so wax slugs were out of the question. I thought about some old Yankee candle wax, but damn if mixing vanilla, pumpkin, and sea breeze, didn’t seem like a terrible idea.
Lol. Potpourri shells...

Back
Top Bottom