Locals playing games with no hunting signs.

whacko

NES Member
I've branched out a bit and started hunting some wma properties in Southern nh. Found an awesome spot for rabbit. My son and I bumped two cottontails in about 45 minutes just doing our own little "drives" to push them to each other. I missed on both 🤣. I was off my game a bit.

Anyway back to the topic. I use on x hunt to make sure I'm on huntable land. Walking a couple of trails through this particular wma I saw a handful of no hunting private property signs. All the signs were a different type.....a couple were the "offficial" yellow ones but the name and contact info was blank. One was a black and orange no hunting sign......you get the point. I kept checking my GPS and I was right in the middle of the wma not even near a property line or home. I crossed paths with a bow hunter walking out and we chatted a bit. He's been hunting that area for 15 years.....so I asked him about the signs......he laughed and said its the local duche bags.......they put up no hunting signs where they put their deer stands to keep people out. He said just ignore the signs and go where you want.

Some guys are just a**h***s I guess.

I've branched out a bit and started hunting some wma properties in Southern nh. Found an awesome spot for rabbit. My son and I bumped two cottontails in about 45 minutes just doing our own little "drives" to push them to each other. I missed on both 🤣. I was off my game a bit.

Anyway back to the topic. I use on x hunt to make sure I'm on huntable land. Walking a couple of trails through this particular wma I saw a handful of no hunting private property signs. All the signs were a different type.....a couple were the "offficial" yellow ones but the name and contact info was blank. One was a black and orange no hunting sign......you get the point. I kept checking my GPS and I was right in the middle of the wma not even near a property line or home. I crossed paths with a bow hunter walking out and we chatted a bit. He's been hunting that area for 15 years.....so I asked him about the signs......he laughed and said its the local duche bags.......they put up no hunting signs where they put their deer stands to keep people out. He said just ignore the signs and go where you want.

Some guys are just a**h***s I guess.
Two years I guess it was we were up at our house lot in New Hampshire and were quite surprised to find it "Posted" - and with fairly fresh signs. (We have a pretty good idea who did it, though.) Signs came down.

I have seen it a bunch of times over the years. There are plenty of Jack wagons that want their own hunting preserve without the expense of owning land. Like you, I just use OnX and hunt the WMA.

Allegedly, EPO’s will come and take them down if you let them know. I’ve never done it.

Bob

Happens every year. The EPOs will be happy to take them down, just give them a call.

People do this stuff all the time. Post private land they don't own, post public land, etc. OnX is easier now, but it also can be wrong on the lot lines and owners.
But I guess it gives you an excuse if your on someones property and OnX has it listed wrong.

People do this stuff all the time. Post private land they don't own, post public land, etc. OnX is easier now, but it also can be wrong on the lot lines and owners.
But I guess it gives you an excuse if your on someones property and OnX has it listed wrong.
I hear you about on x maybe being off. But this situation was pretty obvious. The wma is surrounded by town land and is all forested......no houses or private and for a long way from where I was seeing the signs. I may call the epo

Sure, after all, violation of RSA 472:6 is only a misdemeanor.
The surveyer ribbon he is talking about is not actual surveying markers. Guys hang surveying ribbon on trees to mark their trail to the stand to find their way when it is dark out. Public land is loaded with them and its crazy.

Last edited:
The surveyer ribbon he is talking about is not actual surveying markers. Guys hang surveying ribbon on trees to mark their trail to the stand to find their way when it is dark out. Public land is loaded with them and its crazy.
That's not what Roof gunner says in the followup post:
I just saw a giant piece of land I’ve hunted and grew up on in Pembroke , over by the gun club get bulldozed to make way for new houses. Nothing is sacred anymore !! Tear those ribbons down
So yeah, he is talking about interfering with actual surveyors' markers.

Another thing I've found is the proliferation of "No Target Shooting" signs popping up. I know some of the landowners from when I could hunt and their reasoning is out of state people who think New Hampshire is "Planet Gun" and will freely stop and shoot anywhere with little (if any) consideration as to where boolets land. Trees are not a backstop ! Shoot into a hillside or a berm and pick up all spent shells ! Not just the brass. If you find rubbish, bring a trash bag and dispose of it at home.

That's not what Roof gunner says in the followup post:

So yeah, he is talking about interfering with actual surveyors' markers.
I thought roofgunner was referring to the public wma in my post.

On wma land there is orange tape everywhere that guys put up to mark their trail to their stands. Its annoying.

On wma land there is orange tape everywhere that guys put up to mark their trail to their stands. Its annoying.

I pick up the trash as I run across it and drop it into my thigh pocket until I can put it in a trash receptacle.

I use it only when it‘s necessary to mark blood trails and always pick it up when I’m done.

Bob

Thank you for clarifying my post Kevin. I didn’t persue the post because I figured it would turn into a shit show. And seriously you should be able to find your stand in the dark ! Lol

So there’s a WMA I’ve scouted a few times, it’s always said wma on the OnX app and the most recent time I pulled it up the app shows a different owner now something land trust. Can an owner with a wma easement take the public’s access back?

So there’s a WMA I’ve scouted a few times, it’s always said wma on the OnX app and the most recent time I pulled it up the app shows a different owner now something land trust. Can an owner with a wma easement take the public’s access back?
What wma is it?

Can you pull up the property deed online? That will show the details of all recorded easements.

On the Ipswich/Essex line not sure what the name was it was small maybe 40-50 acres
Check the MA wildlands viewer. It may not be a WMA, could be a WCE. WMA's are owned by the state and always open to hunting. WCE's are owned by other groups and may or may not be open. Sometimes they're only open by permission from the group that owns them.

Back
Top Bottom