Local shopping woes, reloading supplies

[rofl] Are you serious?? The companies that refuse to ship stuff to MA have received letters from the AGs office stating that they have violated the MA law and that unless they sign an agreement to stop shipping here, they will be hauled in to court and each delivery will be a separate count against them. Do you know what it will take for them to mount a legal defense, even if they win? Why on earth would they risk their business, their income, and their families' security in order to sell to a small market like MA?

Oh wait, let me phrase that so that you'll definitely understand.

That's what I asked is there a law? If there is ok. If not the AG has no right telling them they cannot conduct interstate commerce business. Once again READ MY ORIGINAL POST!

That's what I asked is there a law? If there is ok. If not the AG has no right telling them they cannot conduct interstate commerce business. Once again READ MY ORIGINAL POST!

Alright, the serious answer.

1. People who sell ammunition in MA must have a license to do so.
2. You can't sell ammo or parts thereof to anyone in the state who isn't licensed.

The AG believes that the sale occurs when the consumer receives the goods. Many out of state suppliers believe that the sale occurs when they take payment on the phone or online and therefore doesn't happen in MA. The suppliers were taking faxed copies of licenses, the AG wants them checked in person every time. Who's right???? Pony up the legal fees and we may find out.

And most retail business thrive on impulse buyers. Go to the mall next Friday. There won't be a gun store in sight, but you'll see a ton of the behavior you describe.

We're no different!! [smile]

I used to have a very local shop (>30 yrs ago), much like Acme, used to hang out there almost every Saturday morning . . . and shoot with the owner on Sunday mornings, worked with him often in the PD as well.

I spotted my HS Victor and Rem 1100 Skeet guns there and bought them on impulse.

An NES "drop-in" resulted in my buying a Sphinx (CZ-75B clone) at AFS. It just caught my eye and I'd never seen one before.

I've bought my S&W 1911, Russian SKS, USP 40c and M1 Carbine all because I happened to spot them at Four Seasons during the many times I "just dropped in there"!

In no case was I "looking for" these guns.

Nicole is right, it's human nature that if we see something and it catches our eye, we might break out the wallet

Alright, the serious answer.

1. People who sell ammunition in MA must have a license to do so.
2. You can't sell ammo or parts thereof to anyone in the state who isn't licensed.

The AG believes that the sale occurs when the consumer receives the goods. Many out of state suppliers believe that the sale occurs when they take payment on the phone or online and therefore doesn't happen in MA. The suppliers were taking faxed copies of licenses, the AG wants them checked in person every time. Who's right???? Pony up the legal fees and we may find out.

Shouldn't even be an issue. The sale occurs when the money is taken, not when the consumer receives the good. I could buy something today in MA, and have it shipped to my house a month from now. The seller can't sell that item to someone else in the mean time, that item SOLD(aka sale occured) to me.

There is a difference between having the right and having the power.

Shouldn't even be an issue. The sale occurs when the money is taken, not when the consumer receives the good. I could buy something today in MA, and have it shipped to my house a month from now. The seller can't sell that item to someone else in the mean time, that item SOLD(aka sale occured) to me.
The question is not WHEN but WHERE. It seems bizarre that delivery on FOB terms (title to the merchandise transfers to the buyer at the point of delivery to the common carrier) takes place in the recipient's location. If that really flew, every MA mail order/internet transaction would be salestaxable as it would occur in the recipient's location.

There is a difference between having the right and having the power.

The question is not WHEN but WHERE. It seems bizarre that delivery on FOB terms (title to the merchandise transfers to the buyer at the point of delivery to the common carrier) takes place in the recipient's location. If that really flew, every MA mail order/internet transaction would be salestaxable as it would occur in the recipient's location.

Yes, but in this case the where is determined by the when. If it was like the state wants us to believe, then yes, everything purchased online would have to have a MA sales tax. However, as we all know this isn't the case and sales tax is only charged when the company selling the item online is located within MA and selling to a MA resident, therefore making the actual "sale" time when the order is taken within the MA store and the credit card is charged.

Back
Top Bottom