• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local Police Issued Revolvers 70's & 80's

Pants

NES Member
OK, I figured I'd start here. Long story short, I'm trying to find out what kind of revolver my uncle carried on the job during the 70's and 80's so I can buy a similar one. He passed away a few years ago and I wished I asked him when he was around. He was on in Stoneham, so I'm not if they issued a particular model or if most departments carried the same revolver across the state. I'm hoping someone out there might know. I know for sure that it was an S&W with S&W target grips. Mods, if I'm in the wrong forum, please move! Thanks!

You should call Stoneham PD. I'm sure they could tell you.

I debated that. You think whoever was working would know? I was thinking I might even ask the guys at Collectors next time I'm in there. One of the guys in there knew my uncle.

you may call and get some rookie cop with out a clue, or dispatch...try asking the guy who knew your uncle first

You can also try calling the chief's office, they might not know, but can probably get you in touch with someone that does.

Ask Carl at FS or Jack at Collectors. Bet that they would know.

My Wife bought a S&W 64-3 from Carl and it was marked "WPD-badge#". My bet is that it was from Woburn PD.

Back in the 1970s/80s most MA PDs issued S&W revolvers. Earlier of those years would be Model 10s, later years 64 or 66s were typical. I'd guess that few (other than MSP) issued .357 Mag revolvers. [When I joined my PD in the late 1970s, issue was the S&W 64. They had traded Model 10s for the 64s a few years earlier. S&W pretty much owned MA PDs until Glock came along with a sweetheart deal most couldn't pass up.]

Len, funny that you mentioned the 66! I swear my uncles looked like one, except I'm almost positive it was blue, which would make it a 19. I might be on the right track here.

We had M65's back in the days before we went to 226 9's in the late 80's

Load was 158 lead hollow point. Was said to be "FBI" load. This was on south shore

My grandfather was given a Charter Arms Undercover .38 spl by a cop. It was manufactured in 1968. I have no idea if it was their duty gun.

S&W Model 10 was a popular issue, then in the early '80's Ruger got their foot in the door and did a one-for-one swap with their stainless service six.

There's a guy who goes to every gun show with a collection of Boston Police guns. He might know if you go to any of the shows you can ask him.

Last edited:
Ben Cartwright SASS is the guy on the forum who collects Boston Police guns. He is also a member on the S&W Forum.

I agree with Len, though. Jack or Carl will be the best bets (outside of directly getting the info from the department).

Ben Cartwright SASS is the guy on the forum who collects Boston Police guns. He is also a member on the S&W Forum.

I agree with Len, though. Jack or Carl will be the best bets (outside of directly getting the info from the department).

I might take a day off this week and pop in to collectors. It would be a good excuse to get out of work and check out some toys! ha

I'll tell ya, I'm glad I started this thread! I'm a revolver guy and I find it all very informative. You guys all have some great info!

Thought I'd give everyone an update. I finally ran into someone who knew my uncle and confirmed it was a Model 10. The person I ran into worked on the actual Model 10 that my uncle was issued. Now the hunt begins!!!

I have an old model 10 Square Butt that came with the grips and was missing the police plate on the bottom of the grips. The grips have the 4 holes on the bottom of them to affix the plate. The gun has alot of well carried patina but it shoots great. The officers Initials and badge # are on the grip back strap, Just a beater but if you really want one I would sell it for short money.

I have an old model 10 Square Butt that came with the grips and was missing the police plate on the bottom of the grips. The grips have the 4 holes on the bottom of them to affix the plate. The gun has alot of well carried patina but it shoots great. The officers Initials and badge # are on the grip back strap, Just a beater but if you really want one I would sell it for short money.

PM sent!

Thought I'd give everyone an update. I finally ran into someone who knew my uncle and confirmed it was a Model 10. The person I ran into worked on the actual Model 10 that my uncle was issued. Now the hunt begins!!!
It was more than likely a Model 10 Military & Police, Heavy Barrel. S&W made a big push into LE in the early 1970's. Some time after that, they made another push only with SS in the same configuration.

It was more than likely a Model 10 Military & Police, Heavy Barrel. S&W made a big push into LE in the early 1970's. Some time after that, they made another push only with SS in the same configuration.

Yup! That's exactly it to a tee. One of the Jacks at Collectors described it EXACTLY how I remembered it. Right down to the target grips. I ended up scoring a 10-6 this past weekend, thanks to Howiema. Now I just gotta get into the range!

Early 70s I was issued a Model 10 with a 4" heavy barrel (a MetroWest PD). Later in life I picked up a D64...basically the same gun but in stainless vs. blue. I still had the grip adapter from the early days and put it on the newer gun. Whenever I handle/shoot it, just the feel of it in my hand reminds me of lots of stuff long forgotten (some good....some not so good).

Back
Top Bottom