• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local poachers in the news

"According to the Massachusetts Environmental Police, on September 18 the officer on patrol saw two adults and a youth dragging a 200-pound bear out of the woods within the vicinity of a baited hunting stand. After further investigation, the bear had been shot over bait, to include two 50-gallon barrels with dry corn, molasses, donuts, bagels, and muffins. It is illegal to bait bear in Massachusetts."

A while back, my son and I were at a meeting, where a MassWildlife person was telling about how bears are baited for relocation. They go to a local Dunkie's and get the stale donuts, and put them in the big trap.

My kid and I agreed that this sounded like an interesting challenge. [rofl]

Back to baiting, though.....same kid worked at Dick's (before they became that), in the Lodge. At this time of year, even the Natick store sold a lot of corn.....

A while back, my son and I were at a meeting, where a MassWildlife person was telling about how bears are baited for relocation. They go to a local Dunkie's and get the stale donuts, and put them in the big trap.

My kid and I agreed that this sounded like an interesting challenge. [rofl]

Back to baiting, though.....same kid worked at Dick's (before they became that), in the Lodge. At this time of year, even the Natick store sold a lot of corn.....
I'm sure baiting deer with corn in mass happens alot more than we care to admit. I also used to see the corn for sale at dicks (before they became real dicks of course) in mass and chuckle.

On a similar note when I checked in my first nh buck yesterday the kid at the check station fling out the firm asked "was the deer hunted over bait" and I got defensive ans said "hell no"! Then I remembered I was in nh where its legal to bait with a permit 🤣

Last edited:
I'm sure baiting deer with corn in mass happens alot more than we care to admit. I also used to see the corn for sale at ducks in mass and chuckle.

There was a woman in western Mass feeding deer from a trough, and posting videos of the cute deer on fb. Her yard was full of deer.

Someone should call the boys in green. Granted she's not hunting over bate if she's not hunting them but that's actually not good for the deer.

I believe there was action taken. It was surreal to see so many deer in someone's yard. And then you notice the feeding trough...

There's a Bears Den Massage Parlor here in FR. That seems to be going above and beyond. Maybe a different kind of bear. LOL

Back
Top Bottom