• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Local places to buy milsurp (MA/RI) ?

aLuckyFourteen

NES Member
Hi, all. I've recently gotten into collecting milsurp firearms starting with an M1 Garand I picked up from the CMP end of last year. I'm now looking at several other things and have applied for my C&R FFL (which should arrive soon). There are plenty of resources for purchasing online, and with my C&R it makes it fairly easy. But, at the same time, I'd like to find local shops that often have an inventory of milsurps but haven't found much (and I can save on shipping costs this way). I live in Southeastern MA very close to the RI border. I work in Boston. Any shops you can recommend?

I'm familiar already with Four Seasons in Woburn, Holliston Firearms in Holliston, Mass Firearms in Hopkinton, Gartman Arms in Foxboro (although I haven't been in yet).

Appreciate your help.

i hear Pack and Postal is THE place in MA...I've never been, surprisingly. there are usually a pretty fair amount of options in the classifieds and sometimes at really decent prices.

I have a VKT M39 for sale if you like commie captures...last of the last you'll see of these at a decent price.

there's also a regular 91/30 down the cape for $200 i saw earlier today in the classifieds...pretty good deal at this point with no more coming into the country currently.

what's your flavor in particular? might help to narrow it down a little.

MilSurps are getting harder and harder to find locally; mostly happenstance and luck. Best local sources are here in our forum; I have 3 pistols and 2 rifles in the WTS. Post a WTB and someone will be along shortly either to offer one, or tell you where they have seen one.

t

buy far pack and postal they will be open Sept 1 after their summer break. 4 page add in gun digest in up coming issue also.
Other than that the hunt is on. I often search gun broker advanced search for local listings.
Bring your C&R and lots of cash its not that the prices are high theres just so much stuff

Forums dedicated to the type of C&R you're looking for are your best bet. The items are sold by enthusiasts who have a pulse on the real world price. The $30-50 cost of shipping will balance and then some of the additional overhead of consignment or other business operating costs from a traditional vendor. I've also had a couple really sweet gunbroker scores. Most notably, my $499 M1917 Winchester which a few forum members here have seen and can attest to how nice it is. The seller happened to be local, so no shipping either.

Wtf...you got that for under a fin! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again, right?

Didn't you get gold with 278 a few matches ago in vintage with that?

You have to search GB for deals. Play with search features check ending soon listings.
If my search comes up with many pages I will poke around the end of the listings.
I have scored a few items this way.

Close - 271; 92 slow prone, 91 rapids, 88 offhand

The best part was the rifle came with a like new Criterion barrel on it. That's what threw me off in the auction and perhaps others. There was no date stamp on the barrel in the photos but I had a hunch it might be a Criterion. I reached out to Criterion and asked where they stamp their barrels, it's under the hand guards. Took a little bit of a risk, it could have come with some no name barrel (if they even make them), but I rolled the dice and won...... this time.

back when building out surplus junk parts im sure there where some inexpensive barrel opptions

+1 for Pack and Postal in Lancaster. I don't think one can find a larger nor more diverse selection of milsurp and/or vintage iron in the region. Add to that the fact that the proprietor is a living encyclopedia of vintage arms, their variations, maintenance, weak points, etc.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll definitely check out Pack and Postal and post to WTB here. I keep an eye on GunBroker and other websites but just casually because I was waiting for my C&R. It arrived yesterday! So, now I'll be looking more seriously. Seems that I got into milsurp collecting right at the time when prices really started to shoot (pun intended) up and supply lessen but it is what it is.

I currently have a 1943 WWII Garand and am looking to grab - over time - one each of the evolution of US military rifles. Next on my list is an M1917, then M1903. Just for kicks (and since they are still relatively affordable) I've been looking at Finnish or Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30s. Eventually a Krag. But M1917 is next on my list.

Thanks, all!
Adam

Back
Top Bottom